Previous topic - Next topic

Oche

great pics Jomni, hats off  O0

RooksBailey

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 14, 2014, 02:38:48 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on May 12, 2014, 01:42:52 AM
From CMBN:

I think I am ready for CMRT.   :)

Rooks, how did you get that cool 'muted / blurred-edges lighting' effect?  I have tons of mods installed in my CMBN/CMFI, but nothing makes my game look that good.  Almost like you're using a gfx injector a la ENB or Sweet FX - ?

That effect is from the graphics programs I used to massage the image a bit.  The light/blurring is probably due to the "glow" and "photo softening" effects of Paint.net.  I also put it through a color filter on Photobucket.    8)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

WT Ground Forces

Love how the dust kicks up, and the tank rocks, when you fire.  Looks far better than other tank games.

The movement is also well done.  Even the tracks look like they should when they're rolling.

RooksBailey

Wow!  That looks great!  So much better than WoT!   :D  Can't wait for it to go into open beta!

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Tuna

What is WT Ground Forces? Does look cool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tuna on May 15, 2014, 06:32:20 AM
What is WT Ground Forces? Does look cool!

The upcoming expansion to War Thunder. Its a free to play MMO game, but apparently there are single player campaigns and missions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Thanks Rooks -- glad to know there's not some beautiful graphics mod I've been missing out on all this time...

@Nefaro -- it's slightly depressing to me that those StuGs in WT -- an air combat game -- look way better than anything in Grav. Tactics Op Star or CMx2.  Some amazing detailing right there...

undercovergeek

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 15, 2014, 07:10:10 AM
Thanks Rooks -- glad to know there's not some beautiful graphics mod I've been missing out on all this time...

@Nefaro -- it's slightly depressing to me that those StuGs in WT -- an air combat game -- look way better than anything in Grav. Tactics Op Star or CMx2.  Some amazing detailing right there...

+1

it does look like sex on tracks - hope it plays well/realistic too and its not muzzle to muzzle blasting

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 15, 2014, 07:14:11 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 15, 2014, 07:10:10 AM

+1

it does look like sex on tracks - hope it plays well/realistic too and its not muzzle to muzzle blasting

It's more realistic than WoT.  More so the higher difficulty level matches you join.  The Arcade matches are still less arcade than WoT but it's also still easy mode with the range being already dialed in and the impact point being shown in your sight.  "Realistic Battles" mode ditches the range & impact point so it's more difficult to get hits but there are still colored name tags over enemy tanks currently sighted by your team.  In "Simulation" mode, you have none of these things except a tiny red line on the mini-map for spotted enemies - you must visually find them yourself so a much more careful stealthy approach is the way to go there. 

I usually play in "Realistic" battles (the middle one) because there are quite a few playing it and the gunnery is more challenging.  I also really like "Simulation" mode but it usually takes a bit longer to get into a match.

I'm also impressed with how they've handled the Light/Medium/Heavy tank match-ups in the battles.  The light and mediums can unlock artillery support and also get to spawn twice per game, TDs respawn twice but no arty, and Heavies just get one spawn.  The way the tanks travel in the game is also nice so flanking with faster tanks is definitely a valid strategy due to the physics and also the excellent map layouts with a good amount of rolling terrain and features.  You also don't see people using ramming as an offensive weapon like you do in WoT ( ::) ) but if you do, the physics can cause one tank to partially drive up the side of another if the angles are right (as some T-34s had done at Kursk when in desperate straits).  Fortunately it doesn't cause one or both to explode, that I've seen - something that made me  ::) with the other game.  The damage model is also more appropriate.  ;)

I can't really give you guys a run-down on all the current Pros & Cons right now because of a partial NDA still in effect AFAIK.  This is only my guess, but I would expect it to go Open Beta fairly soon.  As with the original War Thunder air forces release, there will still be a lot to add and tweak, I'm sure, however it is definitely quite fun. 

There are many YouTube gameplay videos out there, since they relaxed the NDA, so you can take a gander at those if you want.  I suggest watching some that are from the last 3 or 4 weeks.  I may record and upload some of my own, if I want to spend the time doing so.

I   :smitten: my StuG III F although the SU-122 can be a superbeast if you get good at it's firing trajectory for 1st-shot hits.  ^-^  I really wanna check out the SU-85 soon too. 

When it goes OB, we should get some platoons going. *wink wink nod nod*  I'm sure the Axis Fanboys will have the German side outnumbering the Russkies quite a bit, at least in the Tiger/Panther Tier.  There are a lot of them.    :2funny:

Nefaro

LOL!

Started loading the game up and..

WT - Ground Forces is now in Open Beta after this morning's patch!

;D

Tpek

So I can just install WT from Steam and play with Tanks?

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 08:24:52 AM
It's more realistic than WoT.  More so the higher difficulty level matches you join.  The Arcade matches are still less arcade than WoT but it's also still easy mode with the range being already dialed in and the impact point being shown in your sight.  "Realistic Battles" mode ditches the range & impact point so it's more difficult to get hits but there are still colored name tags over enemy tanks currently sighted by your team.  In "Simulation" mode, you have none of these things except a tiny red line on the mini-map for spotted enemies - you must visually find them yourself so a much more careful stealthy approach is the way to go there. 

That sounds great!  I thought WoT was fun, but strictly in an arcade way.  It was not the tank game I was looking for when it was first announced.

QuoteYou also don't see people using ramming as an offensive weapon like you do in WoT ( ::) ) but if you do, the physics can cause one tank to partially drive up the side of another if the angles are right (as some T-34s had done at Kursk when in desperate straits).  Fortunately it doesn't cause one or both to explode, that I've seen - something that made me  ::) with the other game.  The damage model is also more appropriate.  ;)

Also great! I hate that game-y ramming tactic.  I remember watching a few vids of pro games in WoT and being shocked at all the ramming cheese that takes place - and, even worse, dropping your tank over a cliff and onto the back of another tank for a kill.   ::)  Sure enough, the amateurs started copying the pros and in almost every game I had some guy start chasing me around in a desperate attempt to ram me (in one game he caught me...and his tank exploded.  Serves him right ;D).   

Is the matchmaking better than WoT?  The reason that I lost interest in WoT is because once I reached Tier IV finding a fair game was incredibly difficult.  75% of the time, my Tier IV tanks would be placed in matches with maybe one other Tier IV tank, two Tier Vs, with the rest being Tier VI-VIII!  It was getting really intolerable as my puny tank had zero chance of even scratching the paint on such high level tanks.   >:(

Nefaro

Quote from: RooksBailey on May 15, 2014, 04:26:19 PM

Is the matchmaking better than WoT?  The reason that I lost interest in WoT is because once I reached Tier IV finding a fair game was incredibly difficult.  75% of the time, my Tier IV tanks would be placed in matches with maybe one other Tier IV tank, two Tier Vs, with the rest being Tier VI-VIII!  It was getting really intolerable as my puny tank had zero chance of even scratching the paint on such high level tanks.   >:(

I've only played the first two of five tiers so I'm not sure how well the higher ones are.  Seems to be matched up pretty well thus far.  There are no numerous gun upgrades per model so you aren't constantly bouncing shots until you grind through a bunch of xp upgrades.  Each model is armed historically and your upgrades are just to "new" models that perform slightly better than the old "worn out" ones you start with.   Same as the air forces setup, along with the 'Battle Rating' which is how the matchmaker rates what you're driving (instead of Tiers).  The only extra unlocks that open up completely new stuff are the two early ones (Spare parts & Fire extinguishers) and the Artillery strike ability. 

jomni

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on May 15, 2014, 06:40:46 PM
Operation Desert Storm!

You evil bastard!

Now I'm gonna have to screw with the Mod Soup again soon.  >:D

I see that you don't have the Terrain LOD fix either.   :(  If I ever get it edited or find someone with the file, I'll let you know.