How do you get kids into reading?

Started by GDS_Starfury, June 09, 2014, 10:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

They might not read w/ you stiing an example. They almost guaranteed won't without you setting one
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

The demo-ing worked with both my kids.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

She needed no training. She's a natural.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Keunert

not havin a tv helps big time and not giving access to tablets and phones helps big time.

don't call me leftist commie pig now. because i am only a leftist commie pig from your perspective.
i picture myself rather like Keith Moon in a Nazi uniform. there you have it.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 11, 2014, 07:29:25 AM
She needed no training. She's a natural.

I wasn't thinking of her training, but that you need to demo certain things to her in order to win her over.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

My parents read to me.  Two of the most common books were a children's version of the Bible and Grimm's Fairy Tales.
If you want your kids to be suspicious of strangers, read them Grimm's at an early age.

If you want a specific book suggestion - The Hobbit is one of the best kids books of all time.
The Heinlein juveniles are also very good. 

Centurion40

I took 40 Jr. to a big book store, and let him pick-out stuff he was interested in.  At first it was basically picture books on animals, then Pokemon, and now comics.  He still hates reading, but he is getting better at it.  He's in Grade 4.
Any time is a good time for pie.

BanzaiCat

I had read to my kids/had them read to me at an early age. They both will read now (they're 15 and 13), but not for pleasure, to my eternal disappointment. They WILL read school books, and devour them in a short time, but as for going out of their way to read in their 'free' time...not so much.

My daughter loves to write, which I guess counts for something, and she does a lot of drawing as well. My son will eagerly read school books, but is uninterested in stocking his Kindle or going to a bookstore.

Airborne Rifles

My parents read to us kids in the evening. Chronicles of Narnia, Little House on the Prairie, classics like Swiss Family Robinson, the Bible. It Was a good way to pass the long winter nights in our little apartment in Russia. My parents started when we were young and didn't stop. My dad also pursued his military history and American West interests and left his books around for me to look at. We would talk about history at the dinner table. Never forced reading on us, just modeled it and eventually their interests and love of reading transferred to me and my sisters. My wife and I are trying to do the same with our kids. Stick with it! It's not an arena for instant gratification but a decades long process of shaping the kid's interests.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: endfire79 on June 10, 2014, 07:17:25 AM
My folks got me reading when I wax was being potty trained, it worked.

I still read when I wax. It helps distract the painful ripping effect.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on June 10, 2014, 10:18:35 AM
Quote from: eyebiter on June 10, 2014, 06:56:51 AM
One night a week, instead of watching TV take the entire family to the library for an hour?

Now that you mention it, that is what my parents used to do. Sundays was walk around the Stanley Park Seawall, KFC bucket picnic at the beach, then walk to the library for an afternoon of reading.

Are you still in Vancouver? I love visiting there; one of the most sparkly jewels on the NA Pacific coast.  Stanley Park is enough to make most urban centers jealous. In my youth, I pulled many a dolly varden from Frasier and her tributaries. I do think Banff is a heck of a lot more fun to say than Vancouver, but it's surmountable.

(I'm in Seattle, WA.)
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 09, 2014, 10:26:52 PM
this is coming into play in my world and I was wondering how you actual parents do this.
and no I'm not dating a chick with a kid.  fu Mirth.

You haven't lived until you've frolicked with a goatherder!