Main Menu

Thoughts?

Started by steve58, May 13, 2015, 07:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 14, 2015, 05:02:50 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 14, 2015, 03:50:00 AMIs this because trendy 20 something's are the go to source of all things creative and 'urban' and they really have no frikking idea what it is they just 'designed'?

That's what I think is happening

Most of the graphic design students I've had over the years had an appalling understanding of history, so something like this totally would not surprise me

All cool culture comes from mtv. :crazy2:
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

I agree with Brant - there's no way that Walmart knew what that was. No way.

There were several symbols that were used by the Germans which were perverted from older sources. In a way I'm glad these are being reclaimed. For instance the color pink wasn't considered effeminate until the Germans started using triangles to flag homosexuals. Today it's a banner of pride.

Part of me wishes that we could reclaim those symbols for what they really stood for. Part of me says "never forget" and that should include the symbols.

I suspect the tide of history and short memory will eventually wash over all this. Think of WWI as our generation relates to it. We, as a historical wargaming community, are aware of a lot of history of WWI. Yet to us it's almost ancient history. My dishwasher is a Bosch. There was a time when "the bosch" were our enemies. Today, it's just another well-made German product. I suspect that in another 50 years many of those symbols will be about the same.

The dude with the atrociously named retail store, however, has to go.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on May 14, 2015, 09:32:47 AM
Quote from: mirth on May 14, 2015, 09:29:26 AM
MTV still exists?

Apparently it does in Canada.

No idea, watched maybe 3hrs of it total, including that other much musiv channel.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

MTV as we know it hasn't existed in 20 years. That makes me sad because if was awesome once...cutting edge in many ways and the harbinger of things cool.

I think LB hit the nail on the head. For most of the world 75 years ago is ancient history. Couple that with large parts of the world that were not directly assaulted by Hitler and you have the makings of the Hitler Underoos Shop. Still doesn't mean thatpeople should not be awoken from their ignorance though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

MTV still exists?

But it doesn't show music videos, AFAIK.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 14, 2015, 10:05:34 AM
MTV still exists?

But it doesn't show music videos, AFAIK.

Gus was being facetious. MTV exists here, too, and it probably shows the exact same crap as it does up there. He's just lamenting the loss of a once iconic channel.

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on May 14, 2015, 09:51:32 AM
MTV as we know it hasn't existed in 20 years. That makes me sad because if was awesome once...cutting edge in many ways and the harbinger of things cool.

I think LB hit the nail on the head. For most of the world 75 years ago is ancient history. Couple that with large parts of the world that were not directly assaulted by Hitler and you have the makings of the Hitler Underoos Shop. Still doesn't mean thatpeople should not be awoken from their ignorance though.

Not to mention that the totenkopf pre-dates the Nazis, even in the German military.  The swastika is thousands of years old.  That being said, copies of Nazi designed totenkopfs and swastikas is an entirely different matter.  Also use of the SS sig runes have no excuse, the same with any pseudo-religious Nazi use of runes.  Ignorance of history is no excuse.

Note, this is the version used in Germany.  Wonder why....

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 14, 2015, 10:16:50 AMNote, this is the version used in Germany.  Wonder why....

Federal Law...

incidentally, I have 5 of the first 7 Kiss studio albums with the German logo on them.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

Oh I knew why!

Cool that you were in Germany to buy the albums.  Hang onto them!

GDS_Starfury

Most of the graphic design students I've had over the years had an appalling understanding of history, so something like this totally would not surprise me

there was a course offered at school called US Military History.  I thought it would be an easy A but nooooooo.
ultra liberal fuckwit lecturing on all the evils done during US military history.  the class basically devolved into a semester long argument between me and the "teacher".
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

you took it at the wrong place.

should've had Joe Caddell at UNC / NC State
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 14, 2015, 11:30:29 AM

there was a course offered at school called US Military History.  I thought it would be an easy A but nooooooo.
ultra liberal fuckwit lecturing on all the evils done during US military history.  the class basically devolved into a semester long argument between me and the "teacher".

I suspect this type of thing is fairly common these days.

Gusington

In college I had a great Western civilization course that included a unit on WWII taught by a 75 year old professor originally from Norway. He gave great lectures and was a soldier in Norway when the Germans invaded. His lectures were so emotional and powerful - it's hard to describe. He had every student paying rapt attention...every single one, in a giant lecture hall. I really wonder if there's anyone left out there like that professor.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd