Game musings

Started by W8taminute, May 24, 2023, 03:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Inspired by a couple of recently created threads here I started to ponder about our beloved hobby.

I want to hear your thoughts on the following:

1. Games that used to excite you wildly are now treated with contempt mixed with boredom.  Have some developers marketing strategies left you feeling more hollow than a zombie from Dark Souls?  How many times can a subject matter, gaming engine, or gaming formula be beaten to death before fans say enough is enough?  Do you blame developers for attempting to maximize profits by milking something that is currently working successfully until the player base loses all interest?

2. Why do so many strategy games set in a special universe or time period have to limit the player to just one faction?  It is almost insulting beyond a rage inspired temper tantrum to be told by developers, "What are you complaining about B**&&&?  We gave you the option to play 'the other' factions via skirmish or multiplayer mode.  Shut up and give me your money.  You're lucky you even got this game on the market.  In this day and age is it really difficult to build sandbox 4X strategy games without some idiotic story attached to it and give the players the freedom to play any faction they want in the main game?

P.S. as you can see from my language there are some hot topic buttons that really rile me up.  Please excuse my kookiness.   :cheesy:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^I do feel some of the above but to be honest I am more overwhelmed by the sheer number of games to play these days. We are in a golden age, similar to online tv...so many choices.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CptHowdy

developers marketing strategy is to give free keys to people on twitch or youtube and hope their followers or viewers buy the game. sadly a lot of the streamers dont even take the time to properly play the game(skip tutorials, dont read tooltips etc..)so they spend half their time wondering how to do simple things and their audience is left with a poor impression. the other group of streamers act like the game is the greatest thing since sliced bread and you never see them play the game again afterwards. those shills and their buddies are a big turn off for me and make me not even want to look at any game they are playing.

JasonPratt

I'm more on Gus' side of the spectrum: I'm too tired and busy with real life to play all the great games I already have, and there's plenty more coming! I don't think I'm tired of any genre that I originally liked, yet, and I honestly feel some concern that I'm not supporting developers (and their publishers) as much as I want.  :privatedancer:

....aimed at a different smiley and missed, but kept the result for the alternate humor!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^I approve of this message.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2023, 08:00:43 PM^I do feel some of the above but to be honest I am more overwhelmed by the sheer number of games to play these days. We are in a golden age, similar to online tv...so many choices.

Agreed.  No doubt that some of that boredom I'm feeling could be related to sensory overload over the sheer number of great new games. 

Quote from: CptHowdy on May 24, 2023, 09:28:32 PMdevelopers marketing strategy is to give free keys to people on twitch or youtube and hope their followers or viewers buy the game. sadly a lot of the streamers dont even take the time to properly play the game(skip tutorials, dont read tooltips etc..)so they spend half their time wondering how to do simple things and their audience is left with a poor impression. the other group of streamers act like the game is the greatest thing since sliced bread and you never see them play the game again afterwards. those shills and their buddies are a big turn off for me and make me not even want to look at any game they are playing.

This.  +1

This phenomenon wasn't so bad 5 years ago but today it seems like every tom, dick, and harry is showcasing games on their YT or Twitch channels.  Experience has taught be to tell if someone is a shill puppet, an idiot when it comes to playing games, or an actual gaming enthusiast who gives honest opinions and assessments.  Honestly the latter is becoming less and less these days.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

'Shill' - I love that word  :ROFL:

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd