[PBEM]Solium Infernum - Come claim Hell's Throne! (max 6 players)

Started by Yskonyn, October 24, 2018, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

It's been a long time since this little gem was released; 2009 to be exact!
But its a great game and pretty cheap as well if you don't have it (15 bucks).

Solium Infernum is a turn based strategy game that lets you vie for the throne in Hell. Literally!
From Cryptic Comet's features page:

-Customize your Archfiend avatar by selecting your starting attributes, infernal rank, public objective and special perks.

-Level up your Archfiend in 5 different spheres of evil: Wrath, Deception, Prophecy, Destruction and Diabolism.

- Battle for the control of hell across a landscape of beautifully painted hexes on 3 different map sizes.

- Over 50 different unique legions await your orders.

-Legions gain experience and can be augmented with powerful heroes and artifacts

-Over 30 unique Places of Power dot the endless tracks of hell.  Capture them and use them to secure your claim on the Infernal Throne

-Retire to your sinister ritual chamber and call on dark arcane powers and over 30 unholy relics to damage, cripple or hinder your enemies... and allies of convenience.

-Over 30 unique event cards keep the game unpredictable.  Challenge your rivals in the infernal games of Pandemonium, send your finest legion on an expedition against Heaven's ramparts or call an ill-timed cessation of all vendettas and blood feuds.

-Compete against up to 5 other humans or AI's in a PBEM battle royal.

-Games last anywhere from 25 to 50 turns.  A small single player game can be completed in just a few hours.

-Over 150 beautifully painted images can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven, what matter where if I still be the same.

Who's interested?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Then again, now that you've suggested it, I'm not sure how players who don't have it already (I do) are going to get it...  ???

It isn't on GoG yet, or on Steam. Nor on Gamersgate (which sometimes has separate games from the other two).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Yskonyn

Cryptic Comet has been the only place to get the game and still is as far as I know.
I lost my installer over time and the initial download link isnt active anymore so I've contacted them for help.
I do have my key (ofc), so depending filesize perhaps you could share the installer? Might be quickest.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

It isn't large, but I think it's on a CD. I'll have to check.

Yskonyn

Thanks!
Vic moved on to cardboard boardgame development and even though he stated that tech support for his electronic games would continue, I wouldn't be surprised if the response is delayed extensively.

Huw the Poo

I'm fairly sure the SI download is less than 100MB.  It could be easily shared.  I'm sure I have it on CD somewhere myself.

Yskonyn

Don't worry guys! Vic just emailed me new download links for SI as well as Armageddon Empires! Nice!

So Huw, would you be interested in joining the Pbem fest here?

Huw the Poo

Yeah I'll give it a go as long as the turns aren't too quick (my gaming time is heavily budgeted as it is).

I haven't played in a very long time though.  I played a few games when it released and that was it.

Yskonyn

Well I think its safe to say Jason and myself (for sure) haven't had much SI exposure either! :)

JasonPratt

Turns are quick to play in my experience. You don't have to manage a number of cities, for example. Units on the board are limited to single groups (from one to maybe five at the most), and you don't have to manage the troops under your commanders, or manage your commanders much either.

Yskonyn

Bad news... I keep getting 'Object Not Found' errors while doing various parts of the game.
It seems like script error caused by something.  :-\

Nefaro

Forget about this game at times.  Pretty sure I also have it backed up on a disk somewhere, although I'd have to dig after having moved.

Is it not running well on more modern OSes?

Huw the Poo

I'll try and dig out my copy this weekend and see how it goes.

Yskonyn

The problem was me not having created an Avatar yet. Instead of the game telling me that was the problem it just throws a script error.

I am up an running now to my surprise! So a PBEM game is still very much an option if you guys get it to run! Should be fun!