Main Menu

Site Housekeeping

Started by Jarhead0331, January 12, 2023, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

...and importantly, we're secure! No more redirects!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

How does the dark reader work? I'd like to use it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Sounds like a Goth Chick text-to-speech mode for Kindle or something like that.  :cool:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Have appreciated everyone's efforts and glad things are proceeding nicely, really appreciate it.  Only two things for me.

1)  Does anyone else notice the inconsistency of being able to load posts, pages, and create/respond to messages?  The experience for me before and after the upgrade is the same, often it will take a while to load things (or not at all), other times it will be instant.  Don't believe it is my computer or browser as I have different browsers and I see the experience whether on my computer, tablet, or phone.  Don't think I have seen others recently post on this so at times I think it is me, but I can't think how that would be since tried across many devices/browsers using different internet connections.

2)  Like others, would love the recent posts back at the top of the screen instead of the bottom, but I do realize that won't be possible because of the tool used no longer being usable. Not a huge deal, just saved a little time.

Again, thanks for keeping the community going and the work is much appreciated!

kludger

Quote from: Gusington on February 01, 2023, 08:58:39 PMHow does the dark reader work? I'd like to use it.
Dark Reader is a popular browser extension for chrome, firefox, safari, edge, and I've used two modes with it:
1. you can have it default to leaving all sites alone unless you hit the dark reader extension button then it will apply dark mode to that site and remember for next time
2. or you can have it apply dark mode to all sites by default and then you can hit the button to leave the site you are on default colors and it will remember for next time.

It probably has a bunch of other features but those are just the two I've used, I use the laptop a lot in a dark room while the family is watching movies or even in bed at night after the wife has crashed out early and so it's a huge help for me.

Forgot to add, you can download it from your browser's extensions marketplace  page where you will see the reviews for it, or their page and info is here:
https://darkreader.org/

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: kludger on February 02, 2023, 07:13:24 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 01, 2023, 08:58:39 PMHow does the dark reader work? I'd like to use it.
Dark Reader is a popular browser extension for chrome, firefox, safari, edge, and I've used two modes with it:
1. you can have it default to leaving all sites alone unless you hit the dark reader extension button then it will apply dark mode to that site and remember for next time
2. or you can have it apply dark mode to all sites by default and then you can hit the button to leave the site you are on default colors and it will remember for next time.

It probably has a bunch of other features but those are just the two I've used, I use the laptop a lot in a dark room while the family is watching movies or even in bed at night after the wife has crashed out early and so it's a huge help for me.

Forgot to add, you can download it from your browser's extensions marketplace  page where you will see the reviews for it, or their page and info is here:
https://darkreader.org/

*** Deleted *** Figured out my question.

Gusington

Thanks Kludger. I have noticed some lag on my iPhone here, everything is fine on my home PC.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 02, 2023, 06:44:41 AMHave appreciated everyone's efforts and glad things are proceeding nicely, really appreciate it.  Only two things for me.

1)  Does anyone else notice the inconsistency of being able to load posts, pages, and create/respond to messages?  The experience for me before and after the upgrade is the same, often it will take a while to load things (or not at all), other times it will be instant.  Don't believe it is my computer or browser as I have different browsers and I see the experience whether on my computer, tablet, or phone.  Don't think I have seen others recently post on this so at times I think it is me, but I can't think how that would be since tried across many devices/browsers using different internet connections.

2)  Like others, would love the recent posts back at the top of the screen instead of the bottom, but I do realize that won't be possible because of the tool used no longer being usable. Not a huge deal, just saved a little time.

Again, thanks for keeping the community going and the work is much appreciated!

I get the same lag on phone and pc - some threads open instantly some will just hang and I sit there pressing the page number again and again and again just to annoy it into action - eventually it loads

kludger

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 02, 2023, 11:13:07 AMI get the same lag on phone and pc - some threads open instantly some will just hang and I sit there pressing the page number again and again and again just to annoy it into action - eventually it loads

Interesting I hadn't experienced any lag but checked their help page and indeed they mention this:
https://darkreader.org/help/en/
  • Filter is the initial Dark Reader mode based on CSS filters. It inverts the whole page and reverts some parts back. Requires GPU resources. It is fast and powerful, but has several issues: it disables text sub-pixel rendering, inverts already dark parts into light, causes lags on large pages, and fails to render some pages in Firefox.

My laptop is a gaming laptop with a 3070 GPU and my PC also has a 3070 in it so that may be why I never noticed any slowness, I also noticed my theme mode is set to Dynamic, so I guess it's one of those cases of mileage may vary, hopefully they keep improving the performance so everyone benefits from it.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: kludger on February 02, 2023, 02:40:51 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 02, 2023, 11:13:07 AMI get the same lag on phone and pc - some threads open instantly some will just hang and I sit there pressing the page number again and again and again just to annoy it into action - eventually it loads

Interesting I hadn't experienced any lag but checked their help page and indeed they mention this:
  • Filter is the initial Dark Reader mode based on CSS filters. It inverts the whole page and reverts some parts back. Requires GPU resources. It is fast and powerful, but has several issues: it disables text sub-pixel rendering, inverts already dark parts into light, causes lags on large pages, and fails to render some pages in Firefox.

My laptop is a gaming laptop with a 3070 GPU and my PC also has a 3070 in it so that may be why I never noticed any slowness, I also noticed my theme mode is set to Dynamic, so I guess it's one of those cases of mileage may vary, hopefully they keep improving the performance so everyone benefits from it.

My performance issues were without dark reader.  Just the default site, so not related.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 02, 2023, 02:50:16 PM
Quote from: kludger on February 02, 2023, 02:40:51 PM

• Filter is the initial Dark Reader mode based on CSS filters. It inverts the whole page and reverts some parts back. Requires GPU resources. It is fast and powerful, but has several issues: it disables text sub-pixel rendering, inverts already dark parts into light, causes lags on large pages, and fails to render some pages in Firefox.

My performance issues were without dark reader.  Just the default site, so not related.

Yup same here

Using phone - accidentally clicked on page 3 - instant load

Click on page 4 - 30 second wait

Gusington

The lag on my iPhone today was particularly bad...could barely access the site. Fine on PC.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd