[closed]Dom 4 Christmas 2016 !

Started by Yskonyn, December 03, 2016, 01:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I've set the game interval to 7 days, to be safe. Note that IT ISN'T NECESSARY TO TAKE THE WHOLE TIME PERIOD! The clock will advance when all players send in their turns; and once we set most of the players to AI, that'll leave only the 5 of us to move the clock forward with our turns.

I'm worried that somehow the patch has screwed up the game creation, tho...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

Damn that would be bad.

Anyway, apologies! I have been busy with too many things! Appreciate Jason's effort to push this forward! Thank you!

I'll report back in a day or so too see if it worked.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mkivcs

Yes cheers for your efforts on this Jason. The good news is that my turn (Steam) opens fine. I do get messages telling me that most of the AI players are cheating as they have Pretenders who are more powerful than is allowed but the AI probably needs all the help it can get against such a highly skilled and deadly grogheads team  (Or maybe they will just wipe us in three turns, either why is cool.)

jamus34

Thanks for the assist on this Jason.

I will take a look at my turn today.
Insert witty comment here.

JasonPratt

I think the reason for the 'more-powerful-than-allowed' is because I created all the AI pretenders as PRETENDERS, not most of them as disciples. I just didn't know how that was going to work, and in fact had no teams in mind when I made them. (Ditto Ysk for the C'Tis, no doubt!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Also, I think part of the problem is that even after patching I'm still on version 4.27 instead of 4.29. But I think I inadvertently re-downloaded the 4.27 installer from GG instead of 4.29.

This theory turns out to be at least somewhat correct: I can now get into the game! I'm somewhat worried that there aren't enough "AI" teams listed, but I suspect this is because they're the only ones deemed "too powerful" under "current Dom4 rules". Since I recognize both pretenders and disciples in that list (Ys and Xibalba for example), I'm going to guess this is a leftover artifact to their characters being generated in 4.27.

JasonPratt

Okay, I'm turning those AI teams over to the computer (while looking as little as possible at their situations before I do so, and shaking my head like an etch-a-sketch  :D ), and then saving and exiting. All AIs are set to random. I'll email those back to the server eventually. This might mean that the AI won't actually do a first turn, just an automatic collection of any gems and things like that.

Update: I went back and made sure to "End Turn" (with each of them set to AI) which also saved and quitted -- I noticed the description said that if the file was sent to a network it would register as an incomplete turn otherwise, and I didn't want to take chances.

Each save warned me, after going to AI, that when I "End Turn"'d I hadn't really done anything including moving my two commanders. So we should probably have a house rule, which I'll mention in the next post to ensure everyone sees it.

JasonPratt

Going back to make sure I "End Turn"'d on each AI player, I received a warning that I hadn't really done anything especially with my two commanders. (Everyone gets a 'commander' pretender plus one stock commander to start with.)

So we should have a house rule, I think: don't expand toward any enemy pretender you can see (if any) on your first turn. They'll all be running one turn behind, and some of them have smaller teams than we do.

JasonPratt

Hey, Ys? The link for people checking game status seems to be dead -- the server replies "This doesn't seem to be a real game!" when clicking it (near the top of your entry post for the thread.)

Try replacing it with this instead, which I found when looking at the game-running list at Llamaserver:

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=All_Hail_Grogdom

JasonPratt

Okay, I have not done my turn yet, but I've set all AI players to AI, ended their turns, and then so as not to drive myself insane I have tried to batch mail all their .2h files at once. We'll see if this breaks the game or whether Llama coughs it back. If the former... sorry.  :-[ If the latter, I'll just email them piecemeal as usual.

Interestingly, Abyssia (the first in the group of course) has listed as received but nothing else yet. (Also Jotenheim, which is Jamus's faction.) I suspect this means only Ab got registered, and I'll have to send everything else separately.

JasonPratt

Yeah, as I suspected from the evidence that didn't work. So I emailed the rest of them out individually. Got two errors from having sent the .trn file instead, but fixed those.

So! Currently we're just waiting on Ysk to flip C'Tis to AI end its turn and send it in; and then for the rest of us humies (myself included) to actually play our turns and send them in!  O0

Yskonyn

Yeah its a bit laborous to kickstart all the AIs.
Some mails don't come through and you need to manually request a resend in the admin options over at Llama.
All nations need to be submitted seperately indeed.
I'll kickstart my end of the bargain this coming evening and then we should be up and running afterall!
Very nice to see this getting lift off! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

I was working on calcs for my troops and sending in my turn this afternoon, when I realized since we're all on the same team: should we be giving each other information in thread, and if so to what extent? Initial map positions? Map positions per turn? Basic plans? Specific plans? Activity reports? Recon results?

Yskonyn

Anything you find important.
Also aid requests should definately be posted here.

JasonPratt

I'll post some snaps showing where I am on the map then, this afternoon.