[finished] Beliwyr Grogs (Dominions 5)

Started by Yskonyn, October 13, 2019, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

You know, my nation would probably be in better shape if I let the AI play the first 7 turns  :)) .....but where would the fun be in that? Plus, I'd never learn anything. Humbling, that. I have been through seven game starts now and I seem to be improving. Beware, the blind, Unseen Empire of Agartha is stumbling from our caves into the daylight! Get too close and we might trip and fall on your knees!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Yskonyn

Hah! That would hurt the enemy more than you!
I'll upload my pretender today and kick off the game.
Have fun everyone!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

solops

Yskonyn, if you have not started the game could you hold off for another hour?

Later: OK, never mind. I sent in a revised Pretender. If it does not 'take', I'll live with what I had.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Yskonyn

No rush. Revise as much as you want. Be advised that each new pretender will update the file extension.
So the first is Agatha_early_age0.2h then it saves 1.2h etc.
Always send the latest if you revise. You can re send pretenders as long as the game isnt started without issue.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

solops

OK. Read this after I sent you another P.M.. Will I get a new confirmation from the llamaserver? The numbering of my pretender files reverted from 42h to  02h because I deleted some old pretender designs. I will check it all out and get back to you.

solops

OK. Ready here.
Diplomacy: Will it be conducted only in-game or via e-mail? I have no one's e-mail and Ajidica mentioned some concerns.

Nothing like messing things up and trying to fix it to force one to learn the ins-and-outs of a system

Yskonyn

The problem with in-game messages is that there is no log to re-read messages from earlier turns. At least this was the case in earlier Dominions versions. So that's why I usually have done Diplo via emails, but as Ajidica has voiced concerns about this we will use the in-game system. You just have to make some kind of log yourself if you want I suppose.

W8taminute

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 18, 2019, 11:45:58 AM
The problem with in-game messages is that there is no log to re-read messages from earlier turns. At least this was the case in earlier Dominions versions....

Yes that is correct.  There is no conversation log in Dom5 to allow you to reread inter-player messages from previous turns.  I tend to keep a notebook and pencil handy for when I need to jot down reminders. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Oooh! Yeah, a cool notebook, maybe one with a sinister cover to take notes in. ....just have to keep it away from the lawyers or they may try to impeach me. Hmmmm...wait, No! I'm a godling! They can't impeach me! BwaaHahaha! I just have to be wary of sharp axes.

Yskonyn

Ok guys I fucked up!  :hide:

I must have made a typo with entering the admin password, cause the system doesn't accept the one I am fairly sure I entered, or rather, intended to enter.
So now I am unable to actually start the game proper.
Does any of you fine blokes know a way to get into contact with Llamabeast directly, so I can sort this out?

solops

I am really kind of surprised that a game as old and good as Dominions cannot generate more than four players from the Grogheads community   :(

Yskonyn

Yes that amazes me every time as well.
With Dom 3 we had a period of high activity , but for some reason it died out.

Hopefully I will get answer from Llamabeast today. If not I'll create a new game and we'll get that started instead to speed things up.

solops

I want to do this right, so: The FAQ says:"Once you've taken your turn and hit 'End turn', you should find a 2h file in the same directory that you put your trn file in. It'll have a name along the lines of 'mid_machaka.2h' (depending obviously on the age and the nation you're playing). This is the file that contains your orders, and you then need to email it to turns[ at ]llamaserver[ dot ]net."
What I have is an "End Turn" button. If I hit that, it's going to process the turn. Won't that mess things up? Instead, should I click on the " Save Game and Quit" option and send that in?

Yskonyn

Nope, press End Turn.

Dominions is a WeGo system, so the host (me, but I've delegated that to Llamaserver) need to collect everyone's .2h files to have a 'complete turn'. Then the game loads all those .2h files, resolves the actual outcome of everyone's orders and a new .trn will be compiled and sent out.

solops

OK. I really hate to do this as early on a lot of ground can be covered, especially on a Saturday. But, we are packing the car to leave for two weeks. I can (and am) playing on my laptop, but I will shortly be out of communications until this evening.