[finished] Beliwyr Grogs (Dominions 5)

Started by Yskonyn, October 13, 2019, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Research - fine with me.
Thrones - should we add a throne and up the win requirement by one? This is a question, not a recommendation.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on February 09, 2020, 11:17:10 AM
Research - fine with me.
Thrones - should we add a throne and up the win requirement by one? This is a question, not a recommendation.

I might not be necessary because there will be four of us fighting for the thrones making it harder unlike the two player game I played with Ajidica. 

Quote from: Ajidica on February 09, 2020, 11:01:36 AM
On throne, for the last game we went with six total thrones - four level 1 and two level 2, requiring five points to win.

I was able to execute a throne rush, although that was only possible because I had recruitable Holy 3s. If I go with MA Shinuyama as I'm planning, that problem is neatly avoided!

Oh, and my vote for research is to keep it at whatever the default is.

Yes I liked that amount of thrones.  We'll keep research on where it is.  I'm not sure who I'll pick but it won't be Vanheim.  My experiments with them in the MA didn't turn out too well.  I might go with MA T'ien Chi.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

I am inclined toward Agartha, though testing reveals real weaknesses. Ulm was strong, but I missed the magic.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on February 09, 2020, 12:53:56 PM
I read T'ien Chi but I think Kung Fu.

Haha!  My testing with them did reveal some weaknesses but I'm hoping I'll be able to deal with them in this game.

One thing though.  I forgot the name of the map Ajidica and I played on.  Don't have a copy of it downloaded either unfortunately.

Nevermind.  I think I found the map in my PBEM save folder.  It's called Random4 or it could be what I named it. 

Here is a screenshot:

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

solops

That looks pretty big for two players. Is it going to be OK for four?

W8taminute

I think so but we'll all probably bump into each other by turn 10 I think.  Also this map only wraps from E-W. 

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: solops on February 09, 2020, 12:51:23 PM
I am inclined toward Agartha, though testing reveals real weaknesses. Ulm was strong, but I missed the magic.

Ulm really likes some help from pretender regarding paths, but having access to inexpensive crystal/slave matrix items and searchable astral does give them a realistic end game in magic.  All it takes is one ring of wizardry to path boost fire/earth to highest level.  Can also be used to path boost any indy with nature, death, or water quickly, in addition to native earth/fire, and astral is something you can (poorly) site search from the beginning.

Also don't trust anybody wrt throne rush, it's not THAT hard to give bishop fish an amulet to go above water :P.

Ajidica

Quote from: solops on February 09, 2020, 03:50:35 PM
That looks pretty big for two players. Is it going to be OK for four?
We're going to be limited in what maps we have for a 4 player game. Not many are made for 4 players and many have 4-way wrap to avoid corner-camping.
Also, the map we played the last game on, Beliwyr, was fairly large for a 4 player game as the map was designed for up to 6 players. As I understand it, the rule of thumb for map size used in multiplayer games -at least on the ones LucidTactics and GeneralConfusion uploaded to youtube- is ~15 provinces/player.

W8taminute

^I'll keep looking then for a map that comes as close to the 15 provinces per player in a 4 player game.

solops

15 at a minimum, I'd say. If it was closer to 20 it would not hurt my feelings. Beliwyr size was OK other than the double wrap. I would prefer nothing smaller.
  I am going to try a solo game vs some hard standard AIs. Any of you guys ever play anything above the regular difficulty AIs? What makes the 'hards' hard?

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: solops on February 11, 2020, 09:43:49 AM
   15 at a minimum, I'd say. If it was closer to 20 it would not hurt my feelings. Beliwyr size was OK other than the double wrap. I would prefer nothing smaller.
  I am going to try a solo game vs some hard standard AIs. Any of you guys ever play anything above the regular difficulty AIs? What makes the 'hards' hard?

The AI gets more stuff.  On the higher difficulties the waves of bodies can be pretty ridiculous.  It skews the game a bit in that the AI still doesn't use strategy well, so super combatants and battlefield magic like rigor mortis, heat from hell, etc are disproportionately good against AI, who won't counter them or contest globals effectively.  You do have to be careful though, simply because there's so much crap that if you get double teamed it will attack you in like six places per turn with huge piles of junk.  Your mages can kill that, but your PD very likely can't and if you lose more provinces/turn than you take you will eventually lose outright.

I don't usually bother with more than 1-2 difficulty level increases as a result.  That's not something human players can do, they will instead actually research stuff and go for counters rather than sending 100's to 1000's of units all over the place willy nilly and ignoring losses.

solops

Ajidica

Quote from: solops on February 11, 2020, 09:43:49 AM
It is worth remembering that the more provinces per player, the more complex and longer the game goes - which in itself exponentially increases the complexity. Too tight maps are a pain, but too big maps can also be a problem.

TheMeInTeam

Big maps can also magnify expansion mistakes, someone who expands well near someone who expands poorly on a 20 person average map could easily see something like a 25-15 split.  This is rougher than 12-17 or something.  Also emphasizes scales more, so if we do a bigger map players might want to favor nations that can expand with scales.

I'm okay either way, should be fun first go regardless.