[Dominions 5] Grogspocalypse Now! (FINISHED)

Started by al_infierno, May 06, 2020, 08:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

I have never played a disciples game. What is it? I guess I am ambivalent about playing that way.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Myrmidon

Essentially amounts to a team game, where one nation has the Pretender, and the other "disciple" nation has the prophet.  It allows the teams to benefit from the presence of 2 different nations together, so the strategies can be quite diverse, as one would imagine.

The only downside I foresee, is if we end up with another 6 player game.  In that case, we end up with an odd number of teams, which get's, well, odd. May be wiser for a normal game under those circumstances.  An 8 player game would make it more doable I believe. 

al_infierno

A Disciples game would be interesting, but I agree we would need more players.

If the folks here are familiar with Discord, there's an active server called Clockwork Hounds that you can use to put together games.  I created an EA game and opened it up to anyone who wanted to join, and it filled up with about 15 people within a few days.  There's always the risk of people staling, or having people join who just bought the game and don't really know what they're getting into, etc.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Myrmidon

The other two games I'm in right now are in the Reddit Dominions discord group.  The Clockwork hosted games are pretty slick.  Llamaserver is easy enough, but the Clockwork games are much easier to boot up without having to download the turn files, put them in the save folder, etc.  If some folks on the Grogheads forum don't want to do the Discord thing though, then the Llamaserver is certainly the way to go.

I'm part of the Clockwork Hounds discord group, but don't spend much time on there.  Next time you fire up a game on there, give me a heads up and I'll try to hop in. 

al_infierno

O0  Will do.  My discord handle is 408Lurker#7084 for anyone who wants to add me on there.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

TheMeInTeam

We need 4 digit code too to add.

I'm TheMeInTeam #4534

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Ajidica

I've never really used Discord, but my info is
Ajidica#9741

Myrmidon

On another note, it may be fun to consider using the DE (Dominions Enhanced) mod for our next game.  It doesn't too drastically alter the game, but is a compilation of mods that adds a lot of depth and balancing to magic, nations etc... 

It seems to be used in a lot of the Discord games I've seen, and I'm in one LA game that is using it.   

W8taminute

Discord is awesome.  I joined the Clockwork Hounds group.  Sounds like an easier way to play Dominions with friends. 

My info is; W8taminute#4522
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Apologies for the lateness of my turn. In addition to desperately trying to come up with a Great Plan to Save the World From Eriu, my A/C went out on July 6. It has been over 100 here for 6 straight days. Getting repairs done through a home appliance insurance policy has been frustrating. I expect to have my turn in tomorrow and we will all see if Eriu can overcome the defenders of Area 74 (where Agartha keeps the UFOs).
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

Quote from: solops on July 16, 2020, 12:06:11 AM
Apologies for the lateness of my turn. In addition to desperately trying to come up with a Great Plan to Save the World From Eriu, my A/C went out on July 6. It has been over 100 here for 6 straight days. Getting repairs done through a home appliance insurance policy has been frustrating. I expect to have my turn in tomorrow and we will all see if Eriu can overcome the defenders of Area 74 (where Agartha keeps the UFOs).

No worries solops.  We all understand how life can get in the way of our fun sometimes.  Home appliance insurance policies are so painful.  Went through something similar a few years back with a washing machine and although I'd rather not relive that experience I wouldn't wish that hassle on anyone.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Myrmidon

It would appear that a congrats are in order for theMeInTeam for his upcoming throne victory!   Merits to be given for outstanding(and annoying) skill with the elves and diplomacy. 

Many thanks to everyone for letting me play along.  Vichy Sceleria got to at least tag along for the duration, even if it was castrated....  Would love to hear everyone's thoughts now that we've come to a conclusion.

I'm looking forward to us firing up the next game. 

W8taminute

Oh man I can't wait to get home and load the turn in.  Didn't think it would be over so quick. 

solops

Got my a-- handed to me. Learned all about some new spell combinations in a very special way. Getting tired of all the knots on my head from TMIT and Ajidica.