DEMO - Regiments - Single player RTS, cold war - Very WARGAME Eugen like.

Started by Destraex, June 24, 2020, 03:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Admiral

Well, here the tutorial being played (it's interesting for the mechanics, but obviously don't let it fool you on the overall feeling or the AI, it's all very dumbed down to learn the ropes)

And here a video by Raptor who played the game for quite a few hours and was rather familiar with the gameplay mechanics by then.

Bardolph

Comparisons to World in Conflict have my attention. It wasn't a terribly "realistic" game but man it was fun and I played a good bit of multiplayer back when it was a thing.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

Some news for you, gentlemen ;)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1109680/announcements/detail/2885073380257284465

QuoteTeaser and MicroProse partnership
Publishing Agreement

About a month earlier, Regiments partnered with MicroProse Software in a publishing agreement. Those are important news by themselves. Developing an RTS single-handedly can be challenging and the help was very much welcome.
But much more importantly, I want to show what the cooperation already resulted in.

Visual Upgrade

Summer Festival demo showed that while the gameplay was solid and fresh, the graphics quality of the game wasn't wholly up to 2020 standards, especially in such a key aspect of the game as vehicle models. A tough issue for an indie developer.

Here's where the MicroProse support makes a difference. Together with their dedicated and talented art team, we've been working hard on improving this particular side of Regiments.

So here's a short teaser showing our progress so far. It's still going to be improved across the board - but I think it's already clear what a difference the partnership makes.

I'm looking forward to bring you not only the solid gameplay but also the stunning visuals.

And my own opinion about it, guaranteed 100% non-BS:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1281220/announcements/detail/2869310781560768196

QuoteHey there chaps !
Some fresh publisher-related news today, with the announcement of Regiments as a newcomer in the Microprose-published line of simulation & strategy indie games.

This is a most satisfying & welcomed news indeed. The developer of Regiments, Mikhail, is the epitome of the passionate, hard-working indie dev who never shied away from a challenge. A self-learning achiever, he learned code from scratch years ago in order to develop the game of his dreams. He got there all by himself, and I for one was very touched and impressed when I got to try the demo of his game during the Summer Steam festival a few weeks ago. He embodies everything we believe in, and it is little surprise that we were among those who supported his addition to the line-up.

Any fan of Wargame & Steel Division, World in Conflict & Ground Control or even Company of Heroes will find many things to love in Mikhail's innovative take at the genre. Straying away from conventions, he managed to develop a smart, original gameplay that is completely new, and yet will feel familiar to long-term players of the aforementioned classics. Regiments adopted the Cold War gone hot as a setting reminiscent of Wargame and World in Conflict, but with a new approach that isn't based on deck building or micro-management.

The player gets to buy "task forces" with points gained by occupying objectives. These ad-hoc company-sized forces come from a list generated from the unit type picked at the beginning. These task forces can be a comprehensive or overly specialized assortment of platoons and support missions, depending on what you need at a given point. Altogether with the initial force chosen by the players, three additional Task Forces will be added successively each time a timer runs out, bringing your regiment up in size. Considering these reinforcements cannot be bought in advance, the meta is entirely in the hands of the player, who has to find a way to dictate the pace to the enemy while reacting to the AI's choices at the same time. It results in a very dynamic gameplay where force conservation, smart maneuvering and combined arms warfare are the key to victory.

Learning to play Regiments was a very easy yet satisfying, rewarding process. The complete customizable time speed allows you to play that game the way you like it, together with an active pause. As such, it gets only as Real-Timey as you will let it become, which makes it a very acceptable pick for turn-based grognards. The easy-to-learn, well-thought interface with its intuitive functions are certainly part of this comfortable learning curve. It is made so that you'd have to micro-manage only the important part. Need to withdraw and refit your unit? Just click the corresponding button, and your platoon will all by itself initiate a fighting retreat towards its rear maintenance area. Wanna fortify? Just leave your platoon in place with the right orientation, and the unit will prepare defensive positions if left inactive.

Well, the only problem with all that is that you cannot blame the game for your own failures, and there can be quite a few of them failures seeing how uncannily efficient the AI might be at time. As a non-nonsense being, it doesn't care much about your feelings and will not hesitate to push its advantage. Sometimes you get the right combo, and you end up winning hard, crushing the enemy – but sometimes the AI does you, and it hurts! But it's never truly lost: destroyed units come back as reinforcements for a price, and it is not rare to see the frontline move back and forth. Again, a truly refreshing experience that I advise you to try out when the next demo will come out (who knows, might be soon!).

In the meantime, be good chaps and go leave the maker of Regiments a wishlist & a follow, he certainly deserves your attention as much as he deserves my fandom.

Cheers and see you around soon for our next update for Task Force Admiral!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fabius

What's grabbed my interest in this is that it's bring in Task Forces, rather than single squads and vehicles of Eugen's games.
Sounds satisfyingly less micro

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

IICptMillerII

Loving the new screenshots. Some of them almost remind me of Steel Beasts, especially that first one. I have high hopes for this title. More Cold War action, a good aesthetic, and the gameplay seems to know what it is trying to be so it should be fun and engaging even if its not the most realistic thing out there.

Gusington

As we move further away from WWII, I wonder if 'Cold War what-if' games will become the new WWII...can't say I would mind that.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

The infantry is actually quite impressive looking compared to the amorphous blobs that run around in Steel Division games.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

Congrats on being picked up by Microprose!  :bd:

And nice to see Microprose publishers continuing to bet on a solid stable!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Gusington on October 16, 2020, 11:39:30 AM
As we move further away from WWII, I wonder if 'Cold War what-if' games will become the new WWII...can't say I would mind that.

I think we are starting to see more people explore the Cold War period. Partly due to nostalgia and partly due to the relatively unexplored territory rife with potential what-ifs. That said, I do not think it will even come close to supplanting WWII. WWII just has too much ingrained staying power.

Anyways, I for one am relatively outspoken when it comes for my love for more modern based wargames, and I am very happy to see all of the upcoming games set during the Cold War, specifically the 80s. The more the merrier I say! I could do without the obnoxious rinse and repeat copy/pasted hex games released every year though...

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

So we have

• Regiments
    Broken Arrow
    Project Field Warning
    Wargame series if they do another game in the modern era
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"