(FINISHED) Grogspocalypse Prequel: Early Ages Boogaloo [Dominions 5]

Started by al_infierno, July 24, 2020, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on July 29, 2020, 12:06:52 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on July 28, 2020, 11:24:34 PM
I think I like the idea of creating a MapNuke map, uploading it to DropBox for everyone to download and playtest for a period of time (1-2 weeks?) before we start the game, or someone can veto in favor of a re-gen if their start sucks.  That would be a decent balance between randomizing a map catered to our nation list, and giving everyone a fair chance to test expansion.

The big issue here is that start positions seem to be more strictly defined on MapNuke than vanilla.  You can set generic starts, but our nations are pretty diverse - the only 2 nations who share starting region types are Agartha and Abysia, who both start in caves, so it would be pretty obvious who is where anyways.

If randomizing our start locations is important to anyone, I'd recommend we use the vanilla mapgen or a premade.  Any thoughts one way or the other?

My vote is just to accept what the rmg gives us and start playing and not keep waiting weeks for people everyone to be happy with a perfect starting position...

I was thinking less "perfect starting positions for everybody" and more "nobody has total garbage starting positions," which admittedly is less common on MapNuke than vanilla.

Also, I wouldn't want anyone to feel like the person who made/uploaded the map has an unfair advantage.  Maybe giving it a week+ is overkill, but someone has to look at the map when it's generated, and I'd rather everyone has equal advantage in this regard than having 1 player who's seen the map.

If y'all don't think that's an issue, I'd be happy to just generate something and upload it without looking too closely at it.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Ajidica

I'm fine with al_infierno generating a random map and doing a quick check of start locations locations to make sure there aren't any problems.
I'm ready to get this show on the road!

Myrmidon

Quote from: Ajidica on July 29, 2020, 05:01:06 PM
I'm fine with al_infierno generating a random map and doing a quick check of start locations locations to make sure there aren't any problems.
I'm ready to get this show on the road!

I totally agree. 

If Al_infierno is not comfortable doing that on his own though, I'm fine with everyone taking a quick look-see at the map before we begin.  I trust him, and the Mapnuke is pretty good at spawning maps, but I'd hate for him to feel overly pressured in making that decision on his own. 

solops

Fine with me. Remember I need a cave. Roomy, but not too big. Dry, but with a nice river running through it and a rough-ish roof for the bats.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

TheMeInTeam

You know, all caves doesn't sound too bad actually.  Atlantis approves!

al_infierno

O0  Sounds good, will set it up tonight after work and get the Llamaserver going.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

All right, generated a map and took a gander to make sure nobody had wonky starts (took a few gens to keep Vanheim from being sandwiched between oceans), but not long enough to remember anything.  ;)   The upload process is not very clear, but you just have to upload the TGA and the PNG (not the winter file) before you upload the MAP file.

The map is uploaded and you can download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Wkr0fuYpdb69ltGX2okLBJG2OuhkQCu/view?usp=sharing  (same download link is listed on the llamaserver listing for the map)

How are these settings?  I bumped up the throne count and AP requirement just a notch to account for having 7 instead of 6.  (Four 1-point thrones, Four 2-point thrones, 9 out of 12 points required to win.)  Happy to change the throne settings or add in a Level 3 throne if we want.

I'm considering enabling Lucid's Thematic Gem Gen to ease gem micromanagement a bit in the late game.  Any thoughts one way or the other?  I'm happy to do Vanilla too.

- MengJiao

al_infierno

http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GrogsPrequel

Game is open for pretenders  :bd:  I can still change the above settings if there's any opinions one way or the other.

Game name: GrogsPrequel

Steps to submit your pretender

1. In the main menu, go to Tools and Manuals and create your pretender (Early Ages).
2. On the Tools... screen, click Open User Data Directory
3. Navigate down to savedgames > newlords, find your pretender file (by date is probably easiest), and attach it in an email to turns@llamaserver.net with the subject GrogsPrequel
4. Before your first turn, create a folder in savegames called GrogsPrequel
5. When the game starts, and every turn thereafter, you will get an email with a .trn file. Download the .trn file to the folder you just made.
6. After you end your turn, email the .2h file to the same email with the same subject.

- MengJiao

solops

"3. Navigate down to savedgames > newlords, find your pretender file (by date is probably easiest), and attach it in an email to turns@llamaserver.net with the subject Grogsgame
4. Before your first turn, create a folder in savegames called Grogsgame"

Is this right? Shouldn't it be GrogsPrequel instead of Grogsgame?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

Whoops!  Good catch, sorry I copy + pasted from last time!  ;D

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on July 30, 2020, 09:07:48 PM
All right, generated a map and took a gander to make sure nobody had wonky starts (took a few gens to keep Vanheim from being sandwiched between oceans), but not long enough to remember anything.  ;)   The upload process is not very clear, but you just have to upload the TGA and the PNG (not the winter file) before you upload the MAP file.

The map is uploaded and you can download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Wkr0fuYpdb69ltGX2okLBJG2OuhkQCu/view?usp=sharing  (same download link is listed on the llamaserver listing for the map)

How are these settings?  I bumped up the throne count and AP requirement just a notch to account for having 7 instead of 6.  (Four 1-point thrones, Four 2-point thrones, 9 out of 12 points required to win.)  Happy to change the throne settings or add in a Level 3 throne if we want.

I'm considering enabling Lucid's Thematic Gem Gen to ease gem micromanagement a bit in the late game.  Any thoughts one way or the other?  I'm happy to do Vanilla too.

Looks good! Let's do this!

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on July 30, 2020, 11:11:02 PM
http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=GrogsPrequel

Game is open for pretenders  :bd:  I can still change the above settings if there's any opinions one way or the other.

Game name: GrogsPrequel

Steps to submit your pretender

1. In the main menu, go to Tools and Manuals and create your pretender (Early Ages).
2. On the Tools... screen, click Open User Data Directory
3. Navigate down to savedgames > newlords, find your pretender file (by date is probably easiest), and attach it in an email to turns@llamaserver.net with the subject GrogsPrequel
4. Before your first turn, create a folder in savegames called GrogsPrequel
5. When the game starts, and every turn thereafter, you will get an email with a .trn file. Download the .trn file to the folder you just made.
6. After you end your turn, email the .2h file to the same email with the same subject.

I've always sent my pretenders to pretenders@llamaserver.net? Also did you mean to include a pic of the whole map and all locations?

W8taminute

Thanks for putting this together al_infienro

I will probably upload my pretender later on tonight.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

Quote from: Tanaka on July 31, 2020, 03:10:41 AM

I've always sent my pretenders to pretenders@llamaserver.net? Also did you mean to include a pic of the whole map and all locations?

Both ways seem to work?  Whatever you did worked, as I see Abysia as a submitted pretender  O0

You mean the PNG in the zip file?  I assumed it was required for the map to run, but looking now it appears to just be a reference. 

- MengJiao

Myrmidon

Done and Done. 

Many thanks for putting the game together al_infierno.   Looking forward to squaring off with you all once again in the Dominions universe!