Unity of Command II - Steam Link and Q3 2019 release

Started by CJReich46, February 28, 2019, 01:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarAway Sooner

I don't think the original was a game that you were really intended to Max.  Like the original Panzer General games and a hundred clones since then, each scenario is a bit of a puzzle game, but you didn't have to win a Decisive Victory each time to move the game forward. 

The real trick with logistics, I found, was to plan ahead and to NEVER let the enemy cut off your own logistics.  And resign yourself to not winning a Decisive Victory every time.  Let's face it, if you took a gamble AND got a bad combat result, or if the weather ever broke against you, you weren't winning a Decisive Victory.  In that sense, it felt more like real history than anything else.

At its heart, the original game was just Panzer General with logistics and weather.  The new game is much richer and more entertaining, but I struggled to get into it like the original.  It's still on my short list, but I've not found my way back to it yet.

Jarhead0331

For me it was never about the enemy cutting my supply off. It was more about not being able to keep supply up as my forces advanced. I was always able to defeat the enemy, but my units always ran beyond their supply and then withered on the vine. I could not figure out the logistics system as far as how to relocate or add new supply dumps and manage the trucks which were always in ridiculously short supply. The problem is obviously with my lack of understanding the system, but its just not worth the tedium for me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Totally agree with Faraway on the puzzle-like elements to the original also...I forgot about that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2021, 08:08:36 AM
For me it was never about the enemy cutting my supply off. It was more about not being able to keep supply up as my forces advanced. I was always able to defeat the enemy, but my units always ran beyond their supply and then withered on the vine. I could not figure out the logistics system as far as how to relocate or add new supply dumps and manage the trucks which were always in ridiculously short supply. The problem is obviously with my lack of understanding the system, but its just not worth the tedium for me.

I get it.  Not all games are for all people.  Mostly it's just "Supply starts at a friendly, connected railroad hex, town, or supply dump and pushes out from there."  There was an interface selection that let you view supply levels hex-by-hex on the map. 

I found it to be an interesting wrinkle to add to the puzzle-like aspects of games like Panzer General that we'd already been playing for almost 20 years.  I also found the AI was particularly adroit at cutting off my supply lines, so I had to be careful to keep isolated enemy units boxed in while they withered on the vine.  If you understand 5% of the way Logistics work in Shadow Empires, you'd be in a good place.

I'll freely admit that I struggled more with supply in the sequel than in the original.