GROGHEADS Steam Group

Started by Bison, January 29, 2012, 12:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

is it possible to get some kind of sheet up with everyones EST/GMT differences - i live where theres proper time but am happy to stay up one night a week or so if it means i get to shoot you in the face!

son_of_montfort

I just saw this thread come up again, and thought it was new... and tried to RE-join the group...  :-\
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Arctic Blast

Hmmm...I'm honestly not sure how one would go about setting up a password or private server in TF2. Don't entirely know if it's possible.

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 27, 2012, 04:29:48 PM
Hmmm...I'm honestly not sure how one would go about setting up a password or private server in TF2. Don't entirely know if it's possible.

I suspect that if we paid for our own server we could easily password protect it. That or simply advise folks that when folks from our clan arrive we'll boot non-members to make room. I've had it happen to me. Never liked it, but it's understandable. :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

OK.  Did some preliminary research on server rental today.  The rental fee itself is not too bad per person around $1/player slot.  So a 12 person server is around $12/month and there is a discount of like 10-15% if you do a like a 6 or 12 month rental.  Of course there are serveral dozen games that have server rentals, Team Fortress and all the value shooters, Bad Company, Modern Warfare, Red Orchastra, etc...the game does not determine the rental fee. 

So I guess there are some basic questions that would need to be asked and responded to by the groghead clan/community.

1.  Do we even want to look at a groghead game server?
2.  What game would we initial look at hosting a clan server?
3.  How many folks would be interested in participating in organized game events?
4.  Public or Private Server? 
5.  Long term funding of the server?

So I'll throw it out to the community to discuss.  Here is one of the rental sites that I was researching.
http://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/team_fortress_2.php

W8taminute

See my feedback in green text below:

Quote from: Bison on March 28, 2012, 12:45:54 PM
1.  Do we even want to look at a groghead game server?
If we can get enough interest I say why not?  I would be interested in our own server.
2.  What game would we initial look at hosting a clan server?
My input is, Red Orchestra 2, Battlefied 3, Call of Duty Spec Ops. 
3.  How many folks would be interested in participating in organized game events?
I would (+1)
4.  Public or Private Server? Doesn't matter to me, or whichever is less expensive.
5.  Long term funding of the server?  I would be willing to pay for my share if the per anum is no more than say 20 dollars.

So I'll throw it out to the community to discuss.  Here is one of the rental sites that I was researching.
http://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/team_fortress_2.php
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

I have always enjoyed it when my site hosted a server.

Here's the deal.

We need to get Grogheads incorporated so we have a legal, working body with which to play with money.

At that point folks who wish to donate toward a server will at least have something to aim at.

Probably the server will be open to all, but if it gets crowded the guys who pay get the first slot, followed by those who hang with us in the group.

So if you're some general dude who finds the server you're welcome but will get bumped if someone from the forums/Steam group appears, and those folks might get bumped from play to make room for anyone who has donated.

How does that sound?

W8taminute

Quote from: LongBlade on March 28, 2012, 02:33:54 PM
Probably the server will be open to all, but if it gets crowded the guys who pay get the first slot, followed by those who hang with us in the group.

So if you're some general dude who finds the server you're welcome but will get bumped if someone from the forums/Steam group appears, and those folks might get bumped from play to make room for anyone who has donated.

How does that sound?

+1  8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

BTW, typically servers I've used in the past are happy to change the game on it, but usually hint that they'd prefer you didn't swap out three games a night.

Typically we'd pick something like Call of Duty vXYZ and play it for three months. Then we'd select something else.

The cool thing is that most of the multiplayer games offer consoles that let us administer the game: we can choose which maps to play, what types of games, how long they last, bump up the realism, and kick a$$h0l3s when they get out of line and/or cheat.

But I wouldn't expect us to play games and constantly rotate them.

Gusington

I'm all for this. Now to answer your specific questions:

1.  Do we even want to look at a groghead game server? Yes
2.  What game would we initial look at hosting a clan server? WH40K Space Marine
3.  How many folks would be interested in participating in organized game events? I would, but I am not so good.
4.  Public or Private Server?  Private
5.  Long term funding of the server? I am for that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: W8taminute on March 28, 2012, 02:46:42 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 28, 2012, 02:33:54 PM

How does that sound?

+1  8)

+2

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

Well to answer my own questions.

1. Yes
2. Here I certainly think there is some room for discussion.  I will say that the real attraction of Team Fortress 2 is that is not only  fun, but it is FREE.  Also the computer specs are not too high so it allows for more folks with not top of the line rigs to play.  And given the economic times the might be something to consider.  Other than that I think if the host site is ok with swapping out games, then we can schedule events and change the server to meet the event.
3. The organization piece I'm good with now if we can all get on at the same time that's another issue seperately.  However, I think most of us with a week or two notice can arrange to be have an open slot at some point during the week or weekend.
4.  Although private is appealling.  Public would be the way to go.  That way folks passing through the site can join in too and perhaps build up both site and steam community.
5.  Long term I think a paypal system will need to be implemented.  However I'm prepared to cover an initial cost to get it up and running with the expectation that the community will come together with a donation system to keep it running.

LongBlade

I like the idea of a public server for two reasons:

First, you get more chances to get people playing. Nothing sucks more than having three guys from the forums looking around on a Thursday night wondering WTF happened to everyone.

Second, it is a kind of marketing. It won't be particularly helpful in getting millions of people to find the website, but it does offer the opportunity to pimp GrogHeads if someone randomly stumbles upon it. It also fosters the community. We're gamers, we like to game, and oh-by-the-way here's our server. If someday in the next couple of years we start making some reliable coin, I can foresee a day when we might host a couple of servers.

As for what to play, that's up to the community. My guess is that in slack periods where there haven't been any big releases for a couple of months, Space Marine or Team Fortress 2 would be perfect. I will say that I love TF2, but it is hyper frenetic. It's an over-the-top FPS where the idea is just live as long as you can until the next spawn.

But that is all subject to change.

For now, we're working as fast as reasonably possible to get our company set up. From there we will be able to do a great many more things.

Bison

Yeah strategery is not a strong suit of TF2, but the guns blazing, straight ahead approach is a good time.

I'd also recommend any of the other source engine games.  Day of Defeat is actually pretty fun and can be had for like $10 and many times for much less.

Also L4D2 could lead to some fun evenings.  Especially if you did a versus game.  Zombie players against Survivor players.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on March 28, 2012, 03:59:42 PM
Yeah strategery is not a strong suit of TF2, but the guns blazing, straight ahead approach is a good time.

I'd also recommend any of the other source engine games.  Day of Defeat is actually pretty fun and can be had for like $10 and many times for much less.

Also L4D2 could lead to some fun evenings.  Especially if you did a versus game.  Zombie players against Survivor players.

Day of Defeat is a great suggestion.

L4D2 is a great one also. Playing the Zombies has something of a learning curve and a lot of guys out there have zero tolerance for screwing up. Playing amongst ourselves would give us the opportunity to learn without having some dolt chewing us out if we screw it up.