Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 11, 2013, 02:03:44 PM
Or we could just go with "Northwest Middle Earth", and pick up an extra territory each compared to the "Dragon Age" map, and be done with it.  ;D

That would lean more toward addressing Phobos' proper concern about moving the game along, than the more medium position I suggested. I can still check this afternoon whether the 143/45 land maps can be locked, though.

if its a case of not having the best map because its a wrap-round i can suffer it - its only a preference not a necessity

have we topped out at 9?

Yskonyn

Well the individual with the name Vlam over at the Shrapnel forums has not replied since revealing his interest to join, so I am not sure.

Mine is a preference as well. I wont bail out if its going to be a wrapped map. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Testing some things this afternoon after work. (And after re-sending my pretender for the 1dayturn EA game. ;) )

Urraparround seems to be (with Cradle of Dominions?) one of the integral maps that come with the game. Its wraparound can definitely be turned off by in-game map editing, but of course then it has to be saved as a variant and uploaded as such to the Llamaserver. I have just now verified that there is no way for the game creator/host to turn off wraparound in creating the game itself. (Unless Llamaserver somehow allows it...?)

Now, turning off wraparound in the map editor (in-game), doesn't actually turn off functional wraparound. It only means that as you scroll around you'll reach the map limits, and can see the table under the map (if you scroll out far enough). Functional wraparound remains unless the relevant territory neighbors are manually erased.

I'll give an example from the top right of the Urrappa map. You can see what looks like a thin little sliver of land up there north of one of the seas. Well, in the game, when "wraparound" is checked "off", some of those little slivers of territory have flags and some don't; meaning you can take action in some of them and others you can't. Why not?

Because this is a wraparound map and the "centers" of some of those territories up there are actually down at the south edge of the map. You're looking at the far southern edge of those southern territories (in effect) wrapped around to the top of the map.

But that doesn't mean the map is broken--all those territories still have their neighbors delineated. You can move an army left and right across those territories without any problem (until you run into the impassable river) -- although sometimes your armies may appear at the bottom of the map and sometimes at the top, because that's where the "flag center" was placed. Anyway, they still attach in wraparound with the rest of the map until the map editor manually selects a territory and then deselects the proper neighbors, cutting them off from one another. (And then saves the map variant of course.)

So the look of wraparound can be easily turned off (although it still has to be saved as a new map variant, and it would have to be uploaded to everyone and maybe also to the Llamaserver), but the function of wraparound will remain until and unless someone goes in and de-wraps the functional neighbors of the relevant provinces. Which can have the effect of breaking the map design.

In conclusion: since the general majority seems to be "no wraparound", let's look for a non-wrapping map.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Having thus concluded that the maps of the size suggested should be rejected (for this playgroup) as wraparounds, and with no non-wrapping maps of comparable size (142 lands not count seas) on the Llamaserver already, we must look for either larger or smaller maps.

Keeping Phobos' legitimate concern in mind for a smaller map to offset a slower moving potentially 5-day turnaround, I recommend we go with Phobos' Dragon Age map. It still gives us each 11 territories on average (almost 1-1/2 free hex steps), depending on where home territories are sorted.

Now, may I also suggest, that since most of us will soon be playing an EA and a LA game, we consider setting up a MA game, with a faster turnaround (3 day or 2 day or 1 day) and a map with two to three steps of free space per player?

Then we can have all the Dominions.  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

byrdman57

I'm totally down with that dragon age map as well.

undercovergeek

yep map sounds fine - im also changing to Pythium - Long Live the Empire

Yskonyn

I won't be entering the MA game I am afraid, guys.
With all the other stuff I am doing, these two games are taxing my time management abilities enough as it is.

Whatever map we choose I am good with!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

cool, shall we proceed - 9 players on the dragon map?

JasonPratt

In alphabetical order thus far:

Airboy: called Abysia for EA, so may or may not still be playing LA Abysia's Blood of Humans, mostly blood mages with some fire giants.

Byrdman57: goes with Midgard, the LA version of Vanheim, somewhat balancing against Corwin's Utgard.

Corwin123: wells up in tears of joy with Utgard!

Huw the Poo: wins with the Ashen Empire (unless maybe Bogarus can stop him).  ;D

JasonPratt: I've decided to go with the eastern human Jomon Daimyos, the samurai faction.

Parone: goes with C'tis, the mummy lizards of the Desert Tombs!  8)

Phobos: Bogarus (a nation added in the 3.14 patch, so not mentioned in the printed instructions, probably). Basically Dom3's version of medieval Russian Orthodox, mixed with some pagan Russian mythology.

Undercovergeek: picks Pythium, i.e. First Age Ermor but in late age and with some snakes.

Yskonyn (the game host): Return(s) with "of the Raptors of Caelum".

That's nine players so far (not counting whoever may join the game after this post) -- have I missed any?

We still need Airboy to pick a faction!! -- the guess I listed above is based on his previous Early Age pick.

We can be designing pretenders and studying our factions until then, of course.

Ysk, I recommend epinging Airboy, check and see if he's still where he can do anything. Keeping in mind, we set up a 5 day turnaround game because he thought he'd be out of pocket several days at a time; so he might not be back in pocket yet!

undercovergeek

oooo - what do we do if Airboy drops? change this one to an 8 player 1 day turn around? or have the new guys jumped on board because its a 5 dayer?

airboy

Guys - I'm going to drop because I have had multiple things hit me at work.

In the next 70 days I have to be out of town a minimum of 1 full week (trip 1) and then 2 full weeks (trip 2).  I also have blocked another week thirty days after that for another business trip.

I don't want to have people depending on me and then be unable to fulfill my commitment.

Sorry - this is also why I cannot commit to short-term turn-around game reviews.

Work has to come first - a lot of people depend on me.

undercovergeek

thats cool Airboy - its a real shame you cant make it - when the schedule eases up maybe try this again?