Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Ironically, we're probably back to looking at maps the size of "Cradle of Dominions" now!  ;D (199 lands, and Ysk's original choice for this game! By comparison, the Greyhawk/Oeridia map runs something over a thousand lands!!)

Faerun would still be too large at 397, probably.

Westeros would be perfect! (209 lands)--but having looked around, I'm not sure there's any way to download it from the Llamaserver.  ??? I'll try googling. Edited to add: found it on the Shrapnel forums!

Greece Stain (181) would be interesting, but it's wraparaound.

(For reference, this links to my post where I looked up all the historical/fantasy maps on Llamaserver.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

gameleaper

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 17, 2013, 09:23:49 AM
Well, we don't want to get TOO big -- Greyhawk's map is a monster for only 11 players. (It's really set up to be played by a slight mod that allows all the factions from all the ages to play at once!)

Caves are a nifty notion set up by manually designing a map. They're simply "string" territories; they function just like regular territories, just "thinking outside the box" so to speak. :)

Sometimes mapmakers set up "portals", too. (The "port cities" on "Land of Legends" are an example of that same principle.) These can be created even on randomized maps by assigning one or more non-contiguous "neighbors" to a territory; so being in the territory allows a one-move jump to one or more distant territories. Note that the map modder might make the portals work only one-way, however! -- unless he also "neighbors" the distant territories back to the portal territory, there would be no "portal" going back!

Anyway, caves (and portals) are easy to play, assuming they've been thoughtfully designed.

thanks for the details. You sound like the guy who knows all about maps thanks. I will play the caves & corners SP now I know the caves maybe work.

gameleaper

I would like Westeros if not for our game then for SP, but I cant find it yet

gameleaper

JasonPratt

Quote from: gameleaper on March 17, 2013, 09:34:30 AM
I would like Westeros if not for our game then for SP, but I cant find it yet

Just found it myself a minute ago on the Shrapnel forums; linked added back in my previous comment.

Some nice person here on Grog gave me a link to a good free unrar program (back in the Early Age game thread), so I'll open it up this morning and fiddle around with it, see how broken it hopefully isn't. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

gameleaper

Thanks Jason, It say 16-18 players. looking at the Map its a rectangle & would likely put us with only 1 or 2 opponants close by, the victor would have to travel up and down.

JasonPratt

No, the territories are quite dense, and there are "port routes" to distant areas.

Of course, any map that isn't a wraparound will probably leave a few players with only another few players close by. But looking at this one with the in-game map editor, I like it. Lots and lots of maneuverability options.

I want to look at the data file itself, though, for more information.

gameleaper

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 17, 2013, 10:03:45 AM
No, the territories are quite dense, and there are "port routes" to distant areas.

Of course, any map that isn't a wraparound will probably leave a few players with only another few players close by. But looking at this one with the in-game map editor, I like it. Lots and lots of maneuverability options.

I want to look at the data file itself, though, for more information.

we'll leave it in your capables then Jason - good work so far, thankyou

JasonPratt

Nothing particularly special in the map file (no preset special areas or commands). I can't tell if the start provinces have been turned off or not, but there are 20 available with a decent built-in spread if we want to use them. (I could list them but I don't know whether anyone would recognize them in relation to one another...?)

The map also has a number of built-in no-start position, so if we decide to go with random starting locations we won't be completely screwed out of the gate.

Huw the Poo

7Zip - free archive utility that can handle RAR.

gameleaper

gameleaper

JasonPratt

Running a test SP, only thing I don't like is that the background color for a generally "plains" territory looks very similar to the color of name-text if province names are turned on. Most provinces are named on the map already anyway.

Set start areas can be turned on or off during game setup. I ran a random setup (with 11 players representing the factions already called including Ulm for purposes of testing), and after spending a quick year of scouting around I found no players within two steps of me, but after two steps I start running into other players' dominion although not their troops yet.

gameleaper

I just loaded up the Weseros Map, looks real good, hope Jason's Tests workout? and everybody likes it? its one of the better Maps I have used.