Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

^^ In more confusing depth than the fine instructions given above, however.  ;D ^^

I'll reserve Pythium for you pronto, Beez!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, I have now this morning officially upgraded the map to Westeros 1.2.

I've looked it over in the map editor and I don't see any problems -- all islands have ways clearly on and off for example. However, I may fiddle with it a bit for our game, in which case I'll append the files here as attachments for download (as well as uploading the augmented version to Llama.) Anyone who wants to look it over in the map editor to check for possible issues, let me know if you find any.

Note that we may still upgrade later to an even more epic map as/if we get more people!

(Anyone who has sent in pretenders, don't worry, my changing the map doesn't affect that.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Some further pregame housekeeping:

0.) I've pinged W8 to remind/check if he still wants to play -- he hasn't claimed a faction yet. (That only affects him, so #0.)

1.) Some people still have not pmailed or emailed me the email address you intend to use for the game files! While not strictly necessary to play the game, I have to make this a rule because if someone drops out mid-game I have to be able to change them over to AI.

2.) Consequently, the gamestart conditions will now be set as follows:

2.1.) All pretenders of people signed up to play must be sent in.
2.2.) Once all pretenders have been sent in, I will clock roughly 24 hours for latecomers; which will be reset for any new arrivals.
2.3.) All emails must be sent to me one way or another for my admin list.

Once those conditions are met, I'll have the system start the game.

ScottWAR

Hi,...Im coming from Matrix forums. I have had the game for a while, but have not played it much at all. Definitely still a newbie. Anyway I would like to play,.....I will take Man as my faction. I have the CBM, need to read up on the Llamaserver,....get the map and send you my e-mail address. Ill get on those right away.

Huw the Poo

Welcome to Grogheads, Beelzeboss and ScottWAR!  Thanks for joining the game; I hope you have a great time.  Please feel free to look around the forum and join in the fun!

ScottWAR

Ok, all set I believe. E-mail PM'ed to Jason. CBM and Westeros 1.2 downloaded and installed. Pretender created and sent to Llamaserver (verified that Man is in the list of participants). Anything I missed?

undercovergeek

Did you bring whisky and chocolate biscuits?

I'm sure they were compulsory

Other than that it looks good from here

Myrmidon

OK.  I think I'm set.  Got the map downloaded (Beautiful map BTW), just uploaded my pretender, and got all the mods loaded.  Also, PM'd you my email address. 

If there's anything I'm missing, please let me know!

claes

As I am a new player to both the game and this is my first foray into the multiplayer aspect, I was hoping that some of the more experienced players could help me with the some questions that I had pertaining to alliances.

Quote from: OPDiplomacy Policy: None; do as you wish, keeping in mind consequences in future games, as well as later in that game (if you stab someone early, any alliance later in that game is likely to prove less trustworthy). Trades should be fulfilled.

How do you go about setting up alliances?  I mean, do you pm someone close to you and say, 'hey would you like to set up an alliance with me?'  and go from there?  And backstabbing... that tells me that there is a deeper layer of intrigue than first meets the eye, which opens up worlds of complexity for future games... my favorite multiplayer games of all time are ones that have healthy doses of intrigue ;)

Would someone talk a bit about alliances and their benefit and how they affect the game?

undercovergeek

There's no official alliance mechanism in the game, no 'allow XXXX access to my lands' as far as the game is concerned everyone is at war. Alliances and diplomacy can be conducted thru pm here, email or messaging in the game. When you eventually meet your neighbour its advisable to get in touch just to see what direction they're going in, is this their border or are they going any further - bear in mind you've probably met because your borders are touching and there's the odd indy province left between you - work out who's going for what lest you end up in the same province and start a war! As an example in a game here I met a neighbour who said 'I'm just taking province XXXX and will go no further' just to alleviate those nerves!

As for alliances, if you think it would be prudent to say to neighbour A 'hey I've found neighbour B, if you attack from the left, ill attack from the east' then you can carve up an enemy, of course you could tell b about a too and offer the same promise then when they've destroyed each other go get the pieces, or tell a about b and then do nothing - and then go get a now he is weaker..... Its all very machievellian and entirely open to your discretion!

JasonPratt

Something else worth keeping in mind is that the game doesn't distinguish directly between enemy dominions -- you can make a sort of guess from the scale effects, but scale effects also vary according to various criteria (including how strong or weak the dominion in a province is).

So if you agree with a player to stay out of his dominion, you may still need to check whether the enemy dominion area you're planning to move into is his or not.

Of course, if it's at the border of your ally's dominion, that could change between turns, but your ally should realize you planned back when it wasn't his own dominion and not hold it against you. And vice versa of course: if your ally moves into an area that wasn't your dominion but becomes it between turns, don't regard that as alliance breach.

JasonPratt

Also worth noting: some players are good and/or crazy and/or incompetent enough, and/or their faction is overpowered enough and/or hated enough, that they just say "screw alliance" and fight with everyone.  ;D It's admittedly a lot simpler.

The flip side of that would be the player who manages to arrange a shared victory alliance with everyone: then he can announce publicly that the game is over, everyone wins, but arguably he wins more because he's the one who arranged the mutual peace!  8) (Notice that this kind of happens anyway when the only remaining players have agreed to a shared victory alliance.)

CptHowdy

I will take the time now and offer my allegiance to all my neighbors. I come in peace  :)

mkivcs

Hi All,
         Was planning on easing myself into this game but this looks like too good an oppertunity to miss so please count me in. I'm assuming that the start date of 12th gives me a couple more days to submit a pretender. (I've not yet finsihed reading the rules which makes me about as green as can be.)

ERMOR BROKEN EMPIRE  sounds pretty tempting to me if not already taken.

cheers

undercovergeek

Quote from: mkivcs on April 08, 2013, 03:30:55 PM
Hi All,
         Was planning on easing myself into this game but this looks like too good an oppertunity to miss so please count me in. I'm assuming that the start date of 12th gives me a couple more days to submit a pretender. (I've not yet finsihed reading the rules which makes me about as green as can be.)

ERMOR BROKEN EMPIRE  sounds pretty tempting to me if not already taken.

cheers

welcome mkivcs - jason will be along shortly to confirm the date but it shouldnt be a problem