Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: elitesix on April 10, 2013, 12:18:40 PM
Jason, I think there may some bug with my browser or the forum b/c I've pm'ed you three times with my email but he sent message doesnt show up in my sent box (though it says it was sent).

What's your email?

Hm, yes that's odd, I doubled checked my pmail messages and yours was never received.

My email can be found on the letter icon under my avatar there to the left. (The pmail icon is the one that looks like a dialogue balloon; the email icon is immediately to its left.) (I'm describing it to avoid spambot trolling. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Elitesix, just got your Ashdod email address in my main email!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

PsiSoldier

Oh by the way FYI you as admin do not need to know everyone's email. If you need to set a dropped player to AI you simply log in as admin, select that nation, enter a new email for the person who has volunteered to set it to AI and request turn resend for that nation. The new person will get the turn and can set it to AI.. but its ways preferable to get a replacement player before doing that if possible.

JasonPratt

^^ Oh, that's good! Thanks!

It may still be a good idea for me to have an email list so I have a last-resort contact trail to see if someone intentionally means to drop. But I wasn't waiting on a full email list anyway.

PsiSoldier

Yeah can't hurt to have an email list. For an additional means to contact people. By the way what is this Contra mundum handicap?  From my experience most land nations could care less about the water nations due to the difficulty in invading each others territory save for LA R'lyeh who makes people crazy and everyone hates.  Although nations like agartha and perhaps Ermor have strong possibilities to covet some water provinces ..

JasonPratt

Contra mundum means a newbie player cannot ally with you or me in order to get a well-protected experienced ally who can help nuke the newbie's enemies long-distance.

It also means you and I cannot increase our already substantial advantages by setting up alliances with land-based factions.

On the other hand, anyone who ends up parked next to you is going to be screwed whether they're allied with you or not, so maybe in your case immediate neighbors should be allowed to ally with you to offset your creeping horror dominion a little?

I'm just trying to think of ways to balance things a bit better, at the beginning at least. Late-game, maybe diplomacy could be opened up for us.

ScottWAR

Weird,...couldnt post for about an hour,...kept saying page couldn't be displayed or something similar.

I would say we need a bigger boat.....uh....map.

Bison

OK.  Jason I hope to do a pretender late tonight after I finish the tutorial and read the manual a little more.  I suspect it really won't matter in my first go since I'm sure I'll just pick something that sounds cool rather than a knowledgable useful sort of build.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Bison on April 10, 2013, 02:01:56 PM
OK.  Jason I hope to do a pretender late tonight after I finish the tutorial and read the manual a little more.  I suspect it really won't matter in my first go since I'm sure I'll just pick something that sounds cool rather than a knowledgable useful sort of build.

at least try and decide on your magic paths that fit in with the strengths/design of your nation - nothing worse than getting to the big spells and realising your big pretender cant cast them!

elitesix

Are the victory conditions set in stone? With this many nations, unless we do a small map, late game turns will be super slow.

Perhaps a victory condition like holding 1/3 or 1/2 of the capitals for 2 turns would help ease the grind of late game?

Edit: What map are we using at this point?

PsiSoldier

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2013, 01:23:59 PM

On the other hand, anyone who ends up parked next to you is going to be screwed whether they're allied with you or not, so maybe in your case immediate neighbors should be allowed to ally with you to offset your creeping horror dominion a little?

Hmmmm  I'm no CBM expert And the vast majority of my playing experience was from a few years ago Pre CBM but last I knew MA R'lyeh did not have the crazy pop killing dominion that LA R'lyeh has and in fact their dominion causes no ill effects at all aside from any negative scales they may have.

Or am I wrong on this???   Actually I have never played MA R'lyeh only EA in multi and LA in single.    I'm about to run a test game to design my pretender though so I suppose I'll know better soon anyways.

PsiSoldier

Quote from: elitesix on April 10, 2013, 02:33:23 PM
Are the victory conditions set in stone? With this many nations, unless we do a small map, late game turns will be super slow.

Perhaps a victory condition like holding 1/3 or 1/2 of the capitals for 2 turns would help ease the grind of late game?

Edit: What map are we using at this point?

I would go with at least 3/4 if we do that.  I usually do 90% in my single player games   But 1/3 is ridiculus as you could easily have two or 3 powers at about that same level even at 1/2 you could still have multiple contenders for the title.  Thus it's not a good victory condition IMO

JasonPratt

Map is still Westeros but will most likely change -- I haven't been able to do anything at the house since Monday, and I want to look over Faerun. Or maybe something even larger. With sufficient room to swim. :)

I have just set an instant win if a faction holds 14 victory points, with a vp in each capitol province and no vps added to the map. That's a 2/3 superiority, and the faction has to be holding the vps simultaneously, not cumulatively, so any faction that much larger than any other opponent by late game is probably going to win anyway.

However, if the other final nations decide to ally together against the dominant power, I can remove or bump up the VP requirements (so long as this happens before the 14th vp.)

I'm far from married to the idea of contra mundum, btw, so if enough players are willing to forego that and allow us underwaters to ally with other nations, that's fine with me. :)  (After looking around, Ry doesn't seem to have the mindtaint dominion in Middle Age CBM either.)

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2013, 03:10:10 PM
if enough players are willing to forego that and allow us underwaters to ally with other nations, that's fine with me. :)  (After looking around, Ry doesn't seem to have the mindtaint dominion in Middle Age CBM either.)

id say im fine - its a newbie-ish game - a) i dont understand the consequences b) can a bunch of newbies make that good an exploit?

elitesix

I think 2/3s is good.

Can we try a map that is about 12-15 provinces per player? (Per in-game definition, 10 province per player is small, 15 is medium). I figure with increased independent strength, the game is going to already be slower than the map size would indicate.