Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 17, 2013, 12:57:25 PM
there are many still to send in turns

Yeah, even after I went out of my way to take a turn before work this morning, too!

(Nothing at all to do with the fact that I LOVE this game and just wanted to play.....no!)

Philippe

Note for the Spielfuehrer:

The two sentence message at the begining of the Groghammer game status page on the Llama server should probably be updated to something that is universally applicable (if it can still be changed).  When I glanced at it this morning for two seconds I thought it was talking about this coming Saturday.

Apart from that you've done a great job making this come together: your efforts are appreciated.  Buy that man a round of drinks!
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Philippe on April 17, 2013, 01:52:07 PM
Note for the Spielfuehrer:

The two sentence message at the begining of the Groghammer game status page on the Llama server should probably be updated to something that is universally applicable (if it can still be changed).  When I glanced at it this morning for two seconds I thought it was talking about this coming Saturday.

Apart from that you've done a great job making this come together: your efforts are appreciated.  Buy that man a round of drinks!

i think Jason mentioned leaving the limit in to accommodate W8 in Boston, on the assumption that if everyone went fast enough then the turns would tick over on their own anyway

of course there are always those who see an 80 hour limit and use it

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!  :P

W8taminute

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 17, 2013, 01:30:57 PM
there are many still to send in turns

Yeah, even after I went out of my way to take a turn before work this morning, too!

(Nothing at all to do with the fact that I LOVE this game and just wanted to play.....no!)

Ha!  I love the game so much that I woke myself up a little after midnight last night remembering I forgot to submit my turn.  Then a few minutes later I got the next turn and played that too!  Didn't go to bed until about 1am last night.  :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Quote from: ScottWAR on April 17, 2013, 01:29:34 PM
archers,...slingers,...I think the monkies should have flingers..........

They do (or in MA they do -- too bad no one picked them up after I sacrificed them for Oceana). They fling rocks and sticks, but still, same principle.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on April 17, 2013, 03:00:19 PM
...jesus thats a scary pic

Yeah but she's kind of cute in a scary way.   :)

Cute scary girlfriend is cute. And highly caffeinated.

Philippe, not sure what you meant, so I just deleted that paragraph (in case it's bothering the Wargamer members. Feelings can be touchy between the two groups, for reasons.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 17, 2013, 04:39:50 PM
Philippe, not sure what you meant, so I just deleted that paragraph (in case it's bothering the Wargamer members. Feelings can be touchy between the two groups, for reasons.)

i think it was referring to the two top lines on the groghammer llamaserver game status about the 80 hours

JasonPratt

Ah! Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Fixed now.

Next turn shall certainly be significant out of the gate!--I may not be playing my nation much longer! {lol!}

But that will leave me more free to pick up someone else's nation by necromantic admin possession if someone has to drop out. :)

undercovergeek

Already???

What's happened - tell of your across map epic tales

Phobos

I'm betting that another water nation had a very close start.

Atlantis has a combat god (what the Hero lists says).  So I'm thinking they just went straight for the kill.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gamin, from CRY OF JUSTICE chapter 66, "Avalanche Dancing""Ah!--what an amusing game! I had worried he might escape me after all--but look! There he is!--practically begging me to kill him!"

...but then his evil smile deflated.

"There . . . there he is . . . he is . . .

"he is coming here!

"Argh! No, back up, back up!"

Edited to add: I suppose since Atlantis has already sent in his turn, I can add some more details.

Atlantis is stuck in a poor position with only a few underwater provinces that couldn't be challenged by me, while I'm only a couple of territories away and blocking literally all the access to the rest of the saltwater on the map. (R'yleh, by contrast, only has access to the inland freshwater ocean, but has ALL OF THAT to grow in.)

So since Atlantis started with an Ancient Kraken supercombatant, he really would be well-advised to go ahead and try to knock me out early. (Or ally with me, but I'm a crazed death-dealing madman in this game--which he didn't know yet but which will become more apparent as the game goes on assuming I survive, so I'm not spoiling much: I named him after an insane killer mage in my novel after all.)

Once I saw his SCPretender show up nearby on turn 2 (rampaging over the local indies by himself!), I decided to send most of my troops somewhere else after another turn building them up a bit so I could be reasonably sure they'd survive to come back on turn 5, meanwhile building up my province defense a little. So on turn 4 (after he took another nearby territory on turn 3), I moved the bulk of my army off north to grab the nearest feasible underwater territory (without many casualties), while he invaded my home territory. (He had politely alerted me by messenger first on turn 3, since his strategy necessarily means one or the other of us will surely be removed or badly crippled early in the game, so I was expecting an attack sometime soon.)

I spent that turn researching, even though I was going to be a point shy of picking up the next level of [redacted] I was going for, the upshot being that all my big guns were out of the way when he invaded. I'd be surprised if my garrison managed to kill even two of his units (he brought significantly more than his Cracktopus ;) ), but that wasn't their purpose anyway.

This turn, I'm bringing all my troops back, and sallying forth to break the siege. My mages are going to saiyan up in the early rounds of the fight, and pretty much everyone (including Gamin) is going "closest giant monster" hunting in waves, with the hope that I can poison, charge, shock, and/or hand-of-dust the Cracktopus to death. It's conceivably possible that even if I kill him his troops will drive me from the field, and hold the territory after all, but I don't really have any better option.

Best case imaginable scenario is that I take heavy casualties but drive his troops back a territory while killing his Pretender, leaving my own (somehow) still alive with maybe one other mage also surviving the fight. I can't imagine my military commander will survive, all things considered. Atlantis will still have a major cash advantage with the provinces his SCPretender grabbed for him, and he'd be insane not to start reinforcing those provinces asap, but he'll still have several feasible options for continuing, while even in the best case scenario my feasible options over the next few turns will be few.

So, assuming I even survive next turn with the ability to do anything meaningful at all, my odds of success overall still aren't good compared to his. That's just how things turn out sometimes. :)

Philippe

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 17, 2013, 04:44:36 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 17, 2013, 04:39:50 PM

i think it was referring to the two top lines on the groghammer llamaserver game status about the 80 hours

Yes, and the needful has now been done.

We should have all started keeping journals from day one, so that when this is all over there will be a record of forgotten wars.  Never too late to start secret chronicles that are only published at game end -- but the individual entries should be short.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

JasonPratt

Heh, my forgotten war will soon be forgotten I expect!  ;D

elitesix

Well, if it makes you feel any better, my Kraken has an affliction. I don't know when recuperation is in the turn resolution, but he got his affliction on turn 2 :(

That being said, I do think it's an uphill battle for you...