Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Hey guys sorry about turn in hotel with worst Internet ever.   Ill try again tonight otherwise it might not be until Friday/Saturday in middle of moving ATM.

undercovergeek

:P

i know just how you feel, especially when brant wants an AAR update

JasonPratt

Bison, I've bumped the clock ahead to Sunday night in case you need it.

Under'geek, can we have an AAR update? Or two?  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 18, 2013, 09:09:31 AM
Bison, I've bumped the clock ahead to Sunday night in case you need it.

Under'geek, can we have an AAR update? Or two?  ;D

im back tonight and should be able to get out a good 2 or 3 updates - i still dont think youll star in them though for a while - should be able to crank out a pile this weekend too

elitesix

Quote from: Bison on April 18, 2013, 08:59:00 AM
Hey guys sorry about turn in hotel with worst Internet ever.   Ill try again tonight otherwise it might not be until Friday/Saturday in middle of moving ATM.

coffee shop wifi ftw!!:)

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 18, 2013, 09:13:31 AM
im back tonight and should be able to get out a good 2 or 3 updates - i still dont think youll star in them though for a while - should be able to crank out a pile this weekend too

I can't say I'm in all that much of a rush to be featured in your AAR yet. ;) So no hurry.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ScottWAR

The way the game is going so far,...it should have been labeled as a slow game,.....

W8taminute

^Interesting.  If this is a slow game that implies a fast game in Dom3 with this many human players is 3+ turn turnaround per day?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ScottWAR

Quote from: W8taminute on April 18, 2013, 02:42:52 PM
^Interesting.  If this is a slow game that implies a fast game in Dom3 with this many human players is 3+ turn turnaround per day?

Nope. 1 turn a day,... which over half of the turns in this game so far have taken longer than. This many delays this early in the game IS NOT a good sign.

But don't take it wrong,...I usually avoid PBEM games because I don't have a lot of patience.......this game doesn't give you any other option for multiplayer. I have owned the game for around 2 years and this is my first MP game,.......now you know why.  I'll try to have a little patience,...but I hope others will try to get their turns done as well.

W8taminute

I see.  Well we did have a good weekend last week with a 2 turn per day turnaround time.  I'm not surprised the pace has slowed down during the week. 

I could definitely keep a 1 or 2 turn a day turnaround time everyday on a game like this but I know quite a few of the other players here are limited.  I have a feeling this game is going to be a good one and we'll see it through quite a ways in.  May take us a bit longer than average but we'll get there nonetheless.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

ScottWAR

Quote from: W8taminute on April 18, 2013, 02:51:04 PM
I see.  Well we did have a good weekend last week with a 2 turn per day turnaround time.  I'm not surprised the pace has slowed down during the week. 

I could definitely keep a 1 or 2 turn a day turnaround time everyday on a game like this but I know quite a few of the other players here are limited.  I have a feeling this game is going to be a good one and we'll see it through quite a ways in.  May take us a bit longer than average but we'll get there nonetheless.   ;)

I clarified my post above. As I said in it I don't play PBEM very often........so I may be wrong in my assumption that 1 turn a day is normal.

elitesix

The quality of this game will directly depend on the quality of the players in and near the empty expanses of this map.

Look at the northeast corner for example. It's sick how much land that one capital has. And it's not even wasteland (despite the depiction on the map). The sheer amount of territory the player in the northwest will capture uncontested is mind-boggling. Then look at the isles to the middle west portion of the map-  the isles. Or the sea between Jason and me. If those wars between close capitals aren't over quickly, the outlying nations will have a huge advantage- there are a few areas of the map where a player is about 7+ provinces away from another capital. It will be incumbent upon those nearest to those faraway capitals to expand directly toward the faraway capitals. Otherwise, you're going to see huge nations emerge into mid-game without any worry about having an early rush, so they power through with low military high research and have the ability to overpower nations that had to grow more cautiously.

Still, those of us who manage to secure an enemy capital early in game have a good shot at dealing with those runaway nations. Or at least that's the hope :)

byrdman57

I think, with this many players, it's inevitable that tehre is going to a be a low turnaround time and a lot of delays. I think it will also be a bit more interesting.  ;)

The good thing about PBEM though, is that you can be in multiple games at once if you've got time for more turns.

undercovergeek

Quote from: ScottWAR on April 18, 2013, 02:56:09 PM

I clarified my post above. As I said in it I don't play PBEM very often........so I may be wrong in my assumption that 1 turn a day is normal.

its cool, i think a few of us, including me, would like it to go a bit faster, in fact a quicker flurry of activity and a few turns in a day makes it worse because you get deeply involved in your kingdom and then have to stop for 4 days. BUT in joining the game we take on everyones schedule and the weird stuff that happens to them and us - my solution? i joined 5 other games and im still sat here waiting for a frikking turn!!!!!

on the other hand i think people will play to the limits set by the admin - im in a 28hr turnaround game with elitesix and noone has a problem sending the turns in

I think 80 hours might be a bit lax here - there will be players that take it to 79hours and 59 minutes because thats what the server said was ok, those same people will have no problem with 36 because, yup, thats what the server said

As for Elitesix, i suppose its apples and oranges, id much prefer everyone to get to a mid point of the game, unleashing magical mayhem on the battlefield and fielding their best/near best forces - im not saying rushing is unfair, but for me personally it spoils the game

elitesix

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 18, 2013, 03:11:15 PM
Quote from: ScottWAR on April 18, 2013, 02:56:09 PM

its cool, i think a few of us, including me, would like it to go a bit faster, in fact a quicker flurry of activity and a few turns in a day makes it worse because you get deeply involved in your kingdom and then have to stop for 4 days. BUT in joining the game we take on everyones schedule and the weird stuff that happens to them and us - my solution? i joined 5 other games and im still sat here waiting for a frikking turn!!!!!

on the other hand i think people will play to the limits set by the admin - im in a 28hr turnaround game with elitesix and noone has a problem sending the turns in

I think 80 hours might be a bit lax here - there will be players that take it to 79hours and 59 minutes because thats what the server said was ok, those same people will have no problem with 36 because, yup, thats what the server said

As for Elitesix, i suppose its apples and oranges, id much prefer everyone to get to a mid point of the game, unleashing magical mayhem on the battlefield and fielding their best/near best forces - im not saying rushing is unfair, but for me personally it spoils the game

I think it's very fun to be a part of the midgame.

I also think it's also important to play to your nation's/pretender's strengths. Some nations have a better early game (rushing), other's mid, other's late game.

In this game, with a SCPretender, my strength's in the early game. Similarly, in my Lanka game, I went with a heavy bless strategy. (And yes I'm playing LA Abysia in MarchOfTheNewb and went with a non-rushing strat!) These are points that I did not spend toward better scales, especially better magic scales (better mid and late game), or on a pretender with lots of magic scales for site searching or mid/late game spellcasting. So it made sense that I would rush if the opportunity presented itself. It still remains to be seen if my rushes will be successful however. If a rusher fails, he's in a bad position because he's usually behind in research and income. So it's a tradeoff. We'll see if it was one worth making :).

-----

Regarding the time, I agree with what undercovergeek said. The game advertised 48 hours per turn initially, and that's what people expect. I have no problem with a few delays here and there, and since we started, we're roughly averaging at least 1 turn per two days so I'm personally satisfied. But I do think it's probably best we set the turn timer to 48 hours asap, because otherwise it may seem like a bad precedent.