Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

dont get me wrong it makes for an interesting game!

ScottWAR

Quote from: elitesix on April 18, 2013, 03:02:19 PM

Look at the northeast corner for example. It's sick how much land that one capital has.

Heh, that's me in the northeast corner all alone,....that also adds to my impatience to exploit them as much as possible :)

undercovergeek

Quote from: ScottWAR on April 18, 2013, 03:39:19 PM

Look at the northeast corner for example. It's sick how much land that one capital has.

Heh, that's me in the northwest corner all alone,....that also adds to my impatience to exploit them as much as possible :)

were all on our way!

Huw the Poo

Scott, I'll echo what others have said: join more games.  I'm currently involved in three and I usually have at least one turn a day to take now.  Also, as the games develop you'll find yourself needing to devote more and more time to each turn.  Eventually you'll be regretting not having enough time in the day to do anything. ;)

elitesix

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 18, 2013, 03:42:21 PM
Quote from: ScottWAR on April 18, 2013, 03:39:19 PM

Heh, that's me in the northwest corner all alone,....that also adds to my impatience to exploit them as much as possible :)

were all on our way!

That was an epic battle my friend!

undercovergeek

Huw the Poo

Awww, did you get your little bottom kicked, Geek? :D

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 18, 2013, 04:28:09 PM
Awww, did you get your little bottom kicked, Geek? :D

it looked promising, i even thought at one point it was more than that, then it just fell apart when my centaurs ran for cover and my minotaur lord got turned into roast beef - however the great anti-lanka campaign has started, i have been gifted huge sums of money and promises of reprisal attacks in the rear - its all gone a bit 'war'

Bison

2 turns submitted.  You all may proceed destroying Huw and Underpants....

elitesix

Another epic battle. I liked your secret weapon Jason!!

Ogaburan

elitesix

Jason's secret weapon basically messed me up for the rest of the game :(

JasonPratt

QuoteA little stronger Gamin grows, forcing other strengths to serve!

(I still haven't seen the reply, and won't for another several hours. But whew. I have some hope.)

In regard to turn length: I will probably pull it back to 48 hours after this weekend, but the past weekend (when we started) I had pushed it out early because I had gotten word Friday that I wouldn't be available at all Sunday (and naturally not Monday until after work sometime of course). We still had turns within 48 hours, from Saturday night to Monday afternoon/night sometime, but the system clock pushed the cutoff further ahead as the turns were completed.

At about the time I was going to fix this, we heard from people they were going to be out of pocket over the weekend, so I pushed the timeclock ahead to next Monday to be safe. Once we're past the weekend I'll contract it again.

This is a large game with many human players, so odds are good that we'll have more real-life delay issues than a smaller game with only five players (for example). No one signed up with the understanding and acceptance that they would be penalized with auto-turns regardless of real-life circumstances, and I'm not about to change that policy to a hardline 48 hour autoturn. Not without a unanimous request from the other players anyway.

Four turns in a little less than eight days (from last Friday until today) == 2-day turns on average. So until that significantly increases on average over meaningful amounts of time, I'm not going to worry about it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Lunaje

Hey, there is already a Dom3 subforum. Things grow fast (like under a Growth 3 scale). Can the Dominions 3 Q&A thread be also moved here? Seems a good place for new players to ask things, and is kinda lost in the other subforum.

Regarding an AAR, normally people who write them do it with some delay regarding the actual game; something like 10 turns of more. And even that way it's still complicated, since it can reveal very sensible information, starting from your Capital's position and neighboring players stuff.

Submarine people already started killing each other? Must be quite a sight. I have to reach a coast yet.

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 19, 2013, 10:37:40 AM
QuoteA little stronger Gamin grows, forcing other strengths to serve!

In regard to turn length: I will probably pull it back to 48 hours after this weekend, but the past weekend (when we started) I had pushed it out early because I had gotten word Friday that I wouldn't be available at all Sunday (and naturally not Monday until after work sometime of course). We still had turns within 48 hours, from Saturday night to Monday afternoon/night sometime, but the system clock pushed the cutoff further ahead as the turns were completed.

At about the time I was going to fix this, we heard from people they were going to be out of pocket over the weekend, so I pushed the timeclock ahead to next Monday to be safe. Once we're past the weekend I'll contract it again.

This is a large game with many human players, so odds are good that we'll have more real-life delay issues than a smaller game with only five players (for example). No one signed up with the understanding and acceptance that they would be penalized with auto-turns regardless of real-life circumstances, and I'm not about to change that policy to a hardline 48 hour autoturn. Not without a unanimous request from the other players anyway.

Four turns in a little less than eight days (from last Friday until today) == 2-day turns on average. So until that significantly increases on average over meaningful amounts of time, I'm not going to worry about it.

from my point of view personally, as previously mentioned, if you put up an 80 hour limit someone will use it, if you put up 48 hours the same person will use 47 hours and 58 minutes - the more relaxed you are with it the more it will slow down - it was originally 48 hours and you put an awful lot of effort into researching what would happen if that wasnt adhered to and how to work it - extending it to 80 shouldnt have been the fix. It should be a fixed time amount - probably 48, and if someone cant make that then nobody in the community would complain if the limit was expanded for whatever reason, and if anyone else wants to duck in under that extension umberella then they dont need to say anything by confusing you with more extension requests - its already been extended by the first request.

But to arbitrarily extend it to 80 and say the community will police themselves isnt right for the other 20 players all watching the one guy whos going to take 79 hours without asking for an extension - because at 80 he didnt need to

anyway - lets game, its all about the gaming and im enjoying it very much - glad the elitesix battle went well - mine didnt

are we allowed to know what the secret weapon is?