Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elitesix

Quote from: PsiSoldier on April 22, 2013, 11:26:11 AM
Eriu and R'lyhe are neighbors but peaceful relations have been established so we are not at war. On the other hand it will be interesting if R'lyhe bumps into the remaining water nations  SC pretender. Will be fun to see how he fairs being mindblasted 30 or 50 times per turn

No matter what they say, don't let R'lyeth on the land...don't do it...can't let them make landfall....you were warned.

Bison

Well I got repelled by some indies.  Good lord this is going to a difficult slog.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Bison on April 22, 2013, 05:02:25 PM
Well I got repelled by some indies.  Good lord this is going to a difficult slog.

Tell me about it...  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ScottWAR

Its a good thing I am all alone, I am expanding at a snails pace compared to how it sounds like everyone else is......or at least trying to.
Also,...the independents seem to be stronger than I am accustomed to in single player. They are killing more of my troops than I expect.

undercovergeek

theyre at level 7, not the usual 5 - to test our manliness

course been eaten by giant spiders doesnt matter whether youre level 5 or level 7, just as tasty

mkivcs

I've meet 2 other player so far and like me they have both seem to be preoccupied with trying to fight indies than other player nations.

undercovergeek

Hopefully this is a good thing - reach out with some nap3s and expand in style

Ogaburan

Giant spiders?

I dont think i ever saw such a thing in Domi3...

undercovergeek

PsiSoldier

Yeah expansion in this game seems to be a lot more difficult than normal even for 7 Indy strength. I am surrounded by Indy provinces with 120 troop strength. I have yet to loose any important troops of my own but the going is slow to be sure that I do not because that could devastate me if it did happen at this point.

Huw the Poo

Maybe 6 is the sweet spot for indie strength?

Ogaburan

I like 7, slows the game down somewhat
Dosent let early rushers take 2-3 Indy provinces at a time.

Philippe

Yes, I like 7 for independant strength as well, and am wondering how high that number can go before things get too glacial.

What I like about 7 is that unless you have a really strong attack force you can't just mindlessly throw your forces into a province without looking.  And when you do send them in, you have to ask yourself if you've done the right thing or are doing it in the right way.  I'm getting a kick out of the little flutter of uncertainty.

I guess the question really comes down to this: do you want expansion to be really hard, really easy, or somewhere in between.  Right now I'm leaning towards really hard, even though it slows the game down.

All the more reason to send turns in quickly to get past the expansion phase.

None of this applies of course to people with armies of giant spiders.  They can expand quickly no matter what.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

elitesix

Quote from: mkivcs on April 23, 2013, 12:51:27 AM
I've meet 2 other player so far and like me they have both seem to be preoccupied with trying to fight indies than other player nations.

It might well take less gold/resources troop wise to conquer your neighbor nations than it will to conquer more indy 7 provinces, especially if your borders have already met.

If there are easy indies around and space to go around other nations (as in this map), a super early rush of your neighbor is actually better to do strategically, since you're losing out less compared to other nations which will conquer those indie 7 provinces slowly. By the time you're done with the war, yes you probably will have less provinces than someone who has been conquering indie 7 provinces in the meantime, but not by much, and your gold and gem income from the losing nations capital should make you come out ahead.

I don't think indie 7 really changes the rushing equation too much, but it does actually slow down the arrival of midgame (by increasing the length of the early game), and punish those nations that are weaker on the expansion that didn't explicitly plan for hardcore indies by building in a good SC Pretender or Bless (if its troops could use a good bless).

That being said, indie 7 hasn't really slowed down my Kraken, so I'm happy :)

elitesix

And sometimes rushing isn't so clean even if you win the war...such as in my other game with undercovergeek, he's basically out of the game, but with EA Pangaea's freespawns (automatically created units, no matter what even if the capital is under siege) are making it difficult to actually capture his capital (He has one province remaining, next turn will likely have 0 except his siege capital, has had a sub 200 income for a while)..

He has basically 488 army strength in his capital, and gains roughly +40 army strength a turn. He could try and break siege, but he'd lose versus my demons. In sieges, you basically have to have more offensive sieging power than defensive sieging power (destruction versus repair - forumla per unit is the strength of the unit squared / 100) - I don't have enough sieging power so his walls are unharmed. So he just prolongs my suffering :)

I probably won't conquer his capital at least for a year, once disease has killed off most of the occupants, and my temples have converted most of his province.

I think MA Pangaea has the same thing going. Be sure to have a plan!