Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

NOW WE CAN SLAY YOU AS YOU DESERVE!

I MEAN... uh, I mean, yay W8.  :D {trying to remember if I'm in some kind of alliance with Vanheim}

That being the case I'll promptly retweak the timing back to 48 hours. This gives me an opportunity to test what will happen with this admin function...

...and indeed the clock has gone backward to Wed 16:25GMT!

Is everyone good with that time? It's less than 24 hours away now.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

^LOL

Can't wait to see what happens.  I'm good with that time.  I'll submit my turn later on this evening.

And thanks to all for the welcome back!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Vlam

I wasn't mocking anyone, as claes and Jason said, I was following an advice :-\ .
Well, I do have a lot of fun in this game, even with diplomacy: I'm not posting a lot because english isn't my native language as you may have notice, and sometimes I don't know how to express myself, or bounce on someone's joke.

This said, I'm trying to do diplomacy with PM on grogheads, and ingame message. And no, that wasn't metagame ;D .
Sorry if I pissed you off guys, I wanted to avoid an other 144h hosting.

By the way, I finally took revenge over Man that attacked me a few turns before, héhé...

W8taminute

^I'm sorry too Vlam if I may have been too harsh on you.  I understand that it can be difficult to communicate in another language.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Vlam is infinitely better at writing (and probably speaking) English, than I am at speaking whatever barbaric tongue he naturally uses.  ;D

(But seriously, you do a very good job, Vlam, better than some native English speakers. I have an almost unconquerable respect for anyone multi-lingual.)

Bison

Whoever is kicking my ass can you please just finish the deed or surrender your lands to me so I can get back to doing whatever it was that I thought I was doing in the first place?  Thanks.  :)

Lunaje

Quote from: Bison on June 11, 2013, 03:09:08 PM
Whoever is kicking my ass can you please just finish the deed or surrender your lands to me so I can get back to doing whatever it was that I thought I was doing in the first place?  Thanks.  :)

That would be me.
I'm trying! But your home castle has 700 base defense. That castle in the top of a big mountain is taking a lot of time to siege.

Since now we're close to ending our war, I can tell you that you shouldn't put your fragile Seraph god our your other mages in the front line; too easy to catch a loose arrow. Still, your mammoths trampled a lot of my soldiers. I think you could have stomped more independent provinces with them before I came south. But don't listen me too much :P, I've never been able to expand well with Caelum, despite liking the nation. Something about their flying soldiers still escapes my tactical grasp.

Bison

Quote from: Lunaje on June 11, 2013, 03:36:23 PM
Something about their flying soldiers still escapes my tactical grasp.

Not me.  They are horrible soldiers!  Always flying into combat with their ice blades and armor and then promptly running away.  If the goal of the game was having routing armies, I'd be the winner.  8)

Lunaje

Supposedly the trick with Caelum is the ability to fly around, taking the enemy provinces and avoiding the big clash of armies as long as they need. They can fly their troops and their mages all around the place, which is a very good tactical advantage, but hard to master. And those ice blades are magical weapons, so those troops should be good to fly in battle turn 1 to some misftform or ethereal thugs in order to butcher them. But the AI doesn't know how to use thugs or SCs, so again, hard to practice that in single player....unless you play against yourself which, strangely, didn't come to my mind in my previous -frustrating- tests to try to make Caelum work as it should.

Huw the Poo

I think you need to really go for air magic as Caelum too.  I was almost Caelum myself in my newest game; I'd quite like to see whether I can make any use of them.

elitesix

Re: Caelum Strategy

Thundercats HO!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBkTIb4NtrA

claes

Seeing as how I was going to try Caelum in my next game, I think I will choose another faction to play.  I don't know if I am adept enough to attempt to be a Thundercat just yet ;)

Vlam

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 11, 2013, 03:05:41 PM
Vlam is infinitely better at writing (and probably speaking) English, than I am at speaking whatever barbaric tongue he naturally uses.  ;D

(But seriously, you do a very good job, Vlam, better than some native English speakers. I have an almost unconquerable respect for anyone multi-lingual.)

Ah ah, french is supposed to be hard to speak/to learn for non-native :) .
Thanks a lot!

As Lunaje said, you are supposed to avoid as much as possible big clash between your army and your opponent with Caelum, as long as you aren't strong enough. They have the best raid capacity of the whole game, everyone is flying! But you are true, they are terribly hard to handle.
Mammoth should only be used for expansion, they are too easily countered by an human player (Fire Bonds, False Fetters, ...).

If I had to play Caelum, I'd try a strategy like: rush Con 2, get Lightning Rod, construct a LOT of Corpse construct (immuned to lightning), and while they stick your ennemies, spam Thunder Strike with your High Seraph. Don't overlook your archer that have a very good precision (each point over 10 count as double), because you have an easy access to Wind Guide. Freezing Mist is a very good spell, because your enemies get exhausted quickly, and you have some units 100% cold resistant.
While the game progress, you'll have access to the best army buffing spell, without a doubt: Fog warrior.
A spam of Air Elemental may work too, bring some High Seraph and have them cast Living Clouds at the beginning of battle, and then various evocation spell.

Well, I'm not good enough to write a guide on MA Caelum, but I guess that some of these ideas may work ;)

Bison

You lost me at "rush Con2,...."at which point my brain melted.  :D