Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elitesix

byrdman57

Sorry for my long wait on the turns guys. I'm still playing, but I've not been following the thread. I'll be honest though, I'm pretty much phoning it in at this point.

JasonPratt

If a majority of players are just kinda meh, let's have an actual vote:

All in favor of doing something else until Dom4 (and the inevitable bughunt) is completed?

My straw poll from backchecking the thread (and some private messages) would seem to indicate the following:

Agartha (Vlam) -- Already gone (despite being one of the top four nations)
Arcoscephale (Huw) -- Meh
Atlantis (Elitesix) -- EAGER TO CRUSH THE PUNY IRON MEN!!!  ;D
Eriu (byrdman) -- Meh
Ermor (mkivcs) -- Meh
Jotunheim (Ubercat) -- ?? but seems to still be eager
Marignon (Lunaje) -- ??
Mictlan (Claes) -- bricked his computer, looking for a sub
Pythium (Beelzeboss) -- still in the game, promptly submitting
R'lyeh (Psisoldier) -- still in the game, promptly submitting
T'ien Ch'i (KingofScotts) -- ?? haven't heard from directly in a while, staled last turn
Ulm -- meh

That's six definite mehs or stronger (since Agartha seems completely MIA and Claes literally cannot play).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

I am surprised to see some of those 'mehs'.  At least when I left the game it was due to a violent death.  It's disappointing to see a loss of interest.  To me it is more honorable to die fighting than to give up on a game one was so passionate about a few months ago due to boredom. 

That being said it is summer though.  Maybe these 'mehs' are catching rays at the bitch. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

elitesix

Quote from: W8taminute on August 16, 2013, 07:23:28 PM
I am surprised to see some of those 'mehs'.  At least when I left the game it was due to a violent death.  It's disappointing to see a loss of interest.  To me it is more honorable to die fighting than to give up on a game one was so passionate about a few months ago due to boredom. 

That being said it is summer though.  Maybe these 'mehs' are catching rays at the bitch.

In my experience, it seems that inconsistent turn timers are the greatest cause of lack of interest.

That's why I'm against delays unless absolutely necessary - adding delays destroys interest in the game as people no longer reserve a consistent schedule to sit down and play their turn, and just basically forget there is an ongoing game. I totally bet if we delayed the last turn, we would had far more than 4 stales (recall that many people submitted their turns in the last few hours). Thus, I think it's much better to risk staling than to delay a game without a very good reason, or without a good request.

W8taminute

Which is why I made my last sentence in my post above.  Someone had to start the process.  For whatever reason they were unable or unwilling to continue playing the game on schedule. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 16, 2013, 03:41:15 PM
All in favor of doing something else until Dom4 (and the inevitable bughunt) is completed?

Aye.

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on August 16, 2013, 07:23:28 PM
Maybe these 'mehs' are catching rays at the bitch.

??? I'm... I'm going to guess you used a vocal typer there???  ???

I was mehing long before the general meh, not from summer vacation but because I had already played out two full Dom3 games, and probably also because I have less natural attraction to a nation I took over already somewhat developed. (Although I had been wanting to play Ulm for a while. It's just kind of restricted in the late game, however much it might dominate in the early.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mkivcs

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 16, 2013, 03:41:15 PM

I confirm myself as an Aye.

Game has picked up a bit last tum with a real battle but I'm finding moving troops from the rear of my empire to the far distant front such a chore that I've stopped bothering. My view is slightly coloured by the fact I'm away from the 24th to early September and given the lack of subs was probably going to AI anyway as I don't want to halt the game as its only just got going again. If anyone is reading this and wants to take over Ermor permanently your throne awaits.

Huw the Poo

I feel the same way as mkivcs, and since I made a stupid mistake last turn it will take me a long time to be in a position to do much again, too.

I'm seriously considering going AI in a couple of turns, since there's so little enthusiasm left for this game in general.

JasonPratt

Since the majority seems to be running out of steam on the game, I've admin'd the game to be over (rather than go through the bother of mass assigning nations to AI for the remaining members.)

Thanks for a great game everyone!

Now we can debate outside the game about who 'really' won or was going to.  ;D

Huw the Poo

I do apologise for the part I played in the loss of momentum.  As I said before, I came into this game not concerned about the size of it and had the best of intentions, but I really did learn a lesson here.  Smaller games for me, from now on.

I also think there's truth to what Elitesix said about the constantly changing turn timers having an effect on everyone.

JasonPratt

That seems likely, although looking back at the stale list it seems the big month hiatus had the most effect of killing momentum.

Still, we chose a large game on purpose because we thought we'd have room to move around and experiment some with our nations before getting into final-wars with neighbors. I would have been very surprised if it lasted to the final end.

(Then again, the large size was also one reason I made provision for shared group wins, not in an automatic sense but as a sort of goalpost for players to accept if they wanted. If there was a central coalition mid-continent, they might have had the most victory points between them at the end, so could be said to share a nominal win. :) )

LongBlade

Unstickying per Jason's request. Guys, feel free to PM me if you need anything here. I don't play this game (though I know I should) so you'll want to ping me or one of the other mods if you need stuff brought to our attention in here :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.