Dungeons and Dragons Online - Grogheads Static Group

Started by Bison, April 20, 2013, 12:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well if everyone downloads the client this week, we can give it a test run next Friday or Saturday night.  I'm thinking 9ish PM CST.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Downloaded and account created. What world you on Bison? It's recommending Cannith to me.

Bison

Ghallanda is the server I normally play on so I've got all my stuff unlocked on that server.

Bison

Just be warned that DDO is not a direct translation of the D&D 4th Ed. ruleset.  The game really favors min/max, but if you are unsure how to build your character just pick the predetermined class/specialty and roll with it.  After you play for awhile you'll learn how you better want to tweek a character.  There are ways to reset all of your skill points and feats.  The stats are possible to do but basically you'll be stuck with your starting numbers for awhile.  There are some really good building guides over on the DDO forums.

LongBlade

Thanks. I played DDO a long time ago. Not long - only a few hours, but enough to know it's not 3.5 or 4.0, it's an MMO.

I may pop some cash for the Monk class just because that's what I like to play in pen & paper.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on April 21, 2013, 10:37:17 PM
Thanks. I played DDO a long time ago. Not long - only a few hours, but enough to know it's not 3.5 or 4.0, it's an MMO.

I may pop some cash for the Monk class just because that's what I like to play in pen & paper.

Yeah that's what i meant.

Bison

Well I'll play whatever class we end up needing in the end.  I hate being the cleric though.  So if I end up being the cleric you all are going to die alot.  :D

Nefaro

No it's not D&D v3/4 but it's certainly based on the same D20 system.. just with some changes & additions.  It's part of the reason I enjoyed the game as the character customization options are enjoyable.

Also.. integrated Voice for your party's escapades!  Makes it much less of a hassle when you don't have to fook with 3rd party voice programs before being able to verbally warn people about that skeleton crawling up their leg with a knife between it's teeth.

I prefer being the Cleric or the Rogue.  Perhaps I'll d/l it sometime this week.  I'm sure my characters will likely be on a different server than we choose but that's okay.. my highest was just level 5 or 6 anyway (of 20??).

Bison

Yeah it goes up to 20 but now they've added in epic levels and a bunch of stuff I've never messed with yet.

YOU GET THE CLERIC!  WOOT!  I'm off the hook!

Windigo

Downloading as we speak..... freaking huge file updates   &^%$#@!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

In previous MMOs I always enjoyed playing the healer. When the action starts, that's the one class that can't fcuk around.

I'd be watching people in DAoC chatting about this and that while their meat shields were whacking away at something. Meanwhile, I'm busy trying to figure out who needed a mana or health boost more, how much magic I had left, and OH-SHIT-AGGRO-IS-ON-ME stuff.

So I might also work on a cleric class so Nefaro and I can take turns, as I'm guessing the mechanics in DDO are probably similar in terms of buffs and such.

Windigo

Bison

Yeah the cleric is a healer/buffer, but can build to do combat too.  One thing for the healer to consider in DDO they have something called Divine Vitality skill, which replenishes the mana of casters like a cure spell.  It is based off of your turn undead and comes in handy in quests where there are lots of mobs and few shrines to give that little extra to push the group through the quest.

Depending on what Windy makes looks like I might roll a wizard.  But we'll also need a rogue.  Hmm...

The opening quest is solo only and give a good intro to some of the basic concepts, so I'd recommend if you have the time just make a few different classes and run that quest and some of the starting island quests.  Although just keep in mind a 1st and 2nd level class really doesn't show off all the unique skills.

Windigo

Quote from: Bison on April 22, 2013, 11:09:35 AM
Yeah the cleric is a healer/buffer, but can build to do combat too.  One thing for the healer to consider in DDO they have something called Divine Vitality skill, which replenishes the mana of casters like a cure spell.  It is based off of your turn undead and comes in handy in quests where there are lots of mobs and few shrines to give that little extra to push the group through the quest.

Depending on what Windy makes looks like I might roll a wizard.  But we'll also need a rogue.  Hmm...

The opening quest is solo only and give a good intro to some of the basic concepts, so I'd recommend if you have the time just make a few different classes and run that quest and some of the starting island quests.  Although just keep in mind a 1st and 2nd level class really doesn't show off all the unique skills.

you were right about me likeing ranged weapons, so at lunch today I will take a boo at range-warriors