WORLD OF GROGHAWK Dom 3 Experimental Game (registration open)

Started by JasonPratt, May 19, 2013, 09:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyfungi

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 21, 2013, 03:38:46 AM
Quote from: happyfungi on May 21, 2013, 12:34:49 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 20, 2013, 08:08:55 AM
Y'all should probably hold off choosing a faction until I can even confirm a multi-age game is going to work (and confirm how to get it to work) without messing up other mp games I'm running (and that you might be running). Hopefully I can do that this afternoon.

Ask calahan on desura or dom3mods he has run hundreds of games and would know this answer.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Or if you don't want to ask him for some reason, you could ask Gandalf on shrapnel he would know.  He is the massively modded game guru.

Phobos

GP created the original all-age mod, so he would know.

JasonPratt

It will probably be faster just to experiment for myself, if I have time and energy this afternoon. But I may ping Gandalf, too, that's a good idea. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Well I got the internet working at the house for a period of real time last night, and it should be okay today, but I have two turns on Dom3 games elsewhere to catch up on this afternoon. So I doubt I'll be setting things up until later this weekend.

However, if someone wanted to volunteer to take over adminning the game in order to get it off the ground sooner, I wouldn't complain. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

PsiSoldier

OK I didn't see this earlier. But if this is still going. I'd like Ma Ermor if it hasn't already been reserved. Assuming this game is still going to be active.. if not ermor then neifle or ma Pan.

undercovergeek

i think jason has realised hes a little too busy to undertake another admin role - if you fancy taking up the reins im sure he'll oblige

JasonPratt

Indeed! -- although eventually I'll get around to it, too. But if someone wants to pick it up and run with it instead, I'm happy to oblige. :)

gp1628

I just noticed this game.
Technically the max number of players is more like 96 (slots 0-99 with 4 locked in by the game).
The maximum size map is technically 1495 (it says 1500 but again the game reserves some)

If you manage to fill the game then its actually just a medium sized game Dom3 defines small, medium, large games as number of players times 10, 15, 20 provinces.

Some other options to make such a large game interesting would be:
running the map thru a map tweaker to lock starting positions only to provinces that have (1? 5? 7? 9?) neighbors
start everyone with up to 9 grouped provinces already under their ownership
fill in unused slots with junky AI nations
randomize AI levels and random alliances between the AIs
running the map thru SemiRandom to place specially designed provinces in random locations
force run a number of dummy turns at start (10? 20?) so everyone starts with lots of gold and AIs get a head start

JasonPratt

We probably wouldn't be aiming for a max number of players, as the point is to have enough room to experiment in our expansion (and thus to experiment on indies) before having to deal with other players.

By the same token, for this game I probably wouldn't allow alliances.

However, since I'm hung up on other games at the moment I'm not in a great big rush to figure out how to safely run this as a multi-age game while also being able to play other multi-age games.

If anyone wants to take over setting up this game, keeping in mind the purpose of the game (since otherwise I'd just end up having to set it up again later), I'm willing to pass the reins. :)

gp1628

If you mean me, the alliances I mentioned were for the AIs if you fill in the maps.
Makes for a very different game if groups of AIs decide NOT to attack each other but concentrate on you instead.

claes

I am not in any rush either, and as I mentioned in the other game thread, I am going to take a shot at another faction.  More on that after a little research.

JasonPratt

GP, no, I meant that the game would not allow human player alliances.