Dawn of the Grog: Early Age game (in progress)

Started by Phobos, May 21, 2013, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobos

I'll put the turn on hold until you can get a handle on your technical issues.

I think the Shrapnel Forum is down for an upgrade, as it's been unreliable the last couple of days.

If you are planning on going AI, that is another issue.  If that is the case, I'll see if I can find someone to send the turn in for you, if you are unable to do it yourself.

mkivcs

Looks like the site is backup so should be able to sort when I get back home around 8 pm GMT  My turn should not take long as most of my troops are basically dead. Go AI ,not a chance I'll fight till the bitter end and count every troop I kill as a victory!

undercovergeek

mkivcs

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 07, 2013, 10:24:11 AM
any idea where the plan went wrong?

That's a difficult question. Usually if I lose a battle in the middle period game I can see what I did wrong and understand the issue. Here I was overrun by a more numerous enemy. My opponent deserves congratulations on the speed at which he recruited troops and ate up territory totally surprising me how quickly contact was made and the forces involved. To be honest I never got comfortable with this nation and didn't really have a roadmap to the next level so probably deserved to get taken apart.

byrdman57

Well I would argue that your plan went wrong when you decided to invade me.

mkivcs

Yes you are almost certainly correct. (And actually very out of character for me first time I've invaded anyone in this game.) I put it down to stress of dealing with computer issues  ;).  But I really did not see much choice. I'd had already gone one way and though no I don't fancy my chances there. Going towards you was the only other choice and had I not invaded you then my empire was likely to peak at around 5 provinces. Being new to this game its a bit of a learning curve and I'm slowly putting together the kind of game I prefer. From my first game I learnt that I prefer games without diplomacy and from this one I definitely prefer the bigger maps which I think suit my style of play better. (Or at least mean I don't get killed quiet so soon!)
I think plan is too strong a word in this particular game as someone said earlier this game requires a clear idea of where you are going and I just spent my time reacting to what happened around me.

Phobos

Fomoria can be tricky.  I have had some success with a big bless; berserk + quickness allows your sacred giants to kill a few units before they get tired or overwhelmed.  The berserk probably is not necessary, but it is nice to have when you can finally summon Morrigans.  Morrigans are pretty powerful, especially with the bless effects above.

byrdman57

Well mkivcs has a solid earth bless, but his giants don't have a nature bless, which greatly reduces their survivability. I also managed to curse all his big guys, and the afflictions definitely don't help them :)

mkivcs

^ Yes they are a sorry looking lot with various bits missing. I'll struggle to do much damage to your horde unless they trip over any of my missing limbs littering the battlefield.
One new motherboard later and I can almost enjoy losing, so nice to be able to watch a battle in all it's glory. On the subject of I do still have a few scouts out and last go (yesterday's)  watched a very strange battle where the indies seem to invade a player holding successfully.

undercovergeek

Quote from: mkivcs on June 08, 2013, 06:59:39 AM
^ Yes they are a sorry looking lot with various bits missing. I'll struggle to do much damage to your horde unless they trip over any of my missing limbs littering the battlefield.
One new motherboard later and I can almost enjoy losing, so nice to be able to watch a battle in all it's glory. On the subject of I do still have a few scouts out and last go (yesterday's)  watched a very strange battle where the indies seem to invade a player holding successfully.

did they invade from within and overthrow the province (this just happened to me) or did they move from one province and into another?

mkivcs

I think the former. I would need to go back and look to be sure.(It was not you.)

Philippe

I'm having trouble sending my turn in.  Llamaserver hasn't acknowledged that I've sent it.  Either my service provider is holding things up (which wouldn't surprise me) or the Alpaca substitute is having a hiccup.  I've sent it in a second time, and I'm hoping that will make it go through at least once.

[It worked.  So far it's gone through at least once.]
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Philippe on June 08, 2013, 07:41:39 AM
I'm having trouble sending my turn in.  Llamaserver hasn't acknowledged that I've sent it.  Either my service provider is holding things up (which wouldn't surprise me) or the Alpaca substitute is having a hiccup.  I've sent it in a second time, and I'm hoping that will make it go through at least once.

[It worked.  So far it's gone through at least once.]

yeah, i never received the turn until i called for a resend - i think the servers grumpy today

undercovergeek

does anyone have 5-10 air gems theyd like to trade/sell?

Phobos

Yeah, I got that as well.  I should have has the forethought to click the resend button for everyone, but I also did not to spam your account.

For those unaware of what we are talking about:

The DawnoftheGrog game page on llamaserver has a number of hyperlinks on the page.  One of these is "Request Turn Resend." Click that, then select your nation and click the "Resend Turn File" button.  The server will send out the file for your current turn.  Sometimes it can take 5-10 minutes, though it is often very fast.