Dawn of the Grog: Early Age game (in progress)

Started by Phobos, May 21, 2013, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Today may or may not be the anniversary of the death of Giuseppe del Migo, one of Abysia's greatest leaders and philosophers.  His passing a year ago should not go uncommemorated.

I wish to celebrate the life and incineration of Giuseppe del Migo, a faithful servant of the true faith (or whoever cuts his paycheck), converter of the wicked, and successful in battle (if not very bright).

He met his end as the only friendly casualty in a successful battle against godless unbelievers.  His demise came about at the end of the battle as a result of standing immediately next to Negarsanel, prophet of The Flaming Word.  True to his faith Giuseppe del Migo went up in flames at the last moment (the dumkopf), but at least he delayed his flaming exit until after the enemy had fled the field. 

His pikemen and powers of persuasion have been sorely missed.

(And I'm still kicking myself in the head for doing something that stupid).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

undercovergeek

Pffft - wait til you kill 87 cap only elite troops of your own by poisoning them yourself!

Phobos

Fortresses draw resources from controlled provinces only.  If you click on the fort icon, you will see every types of fort has an Administration score.  The administration score determines what percentage of resources are drawn from nearby friendly provinces (high admin forts will be able to utilise more).  The administration score also acts as a percentage modifier to the income of a province with a fort  (it's actually half the admin score, expressed as a percentage).

Cheap forts are fast to build, but provide less income and resources.  Expensive forts tend to have a larger administration bonus.  Depending on your nation and scales, the type of forts you want to prioritise construction for will change, strategic considerations notwithstanding.

Phobos

Ermor has been defeated...Fomoria appears to be on it's way out as well.  Brutal.

Don't forget to send in your final turn.  While your options are limited, it will help the game progress to the next turn faster.  Maybe you want to send a rude or congratulatory message to someone, I don't know.

byrdman57

Yeah, I saw the message re: Ermor. Don't even know where they are or who conquered them.

ScottWAR

Ermor was taken out by Tir Na Nog. I had a force of over 100 units......over 25% of tem the best troops I can buy aside from cavalry.......along with around 6-8 cavalry....were attacked by a force of less than 50,....of which less than half were cavalry.........and destroyed.................with the smaller force taking barely any casualties. Needless to say I doubt I will be playing any more games until I can figure out how the heck that happens.

undercovergeek

What was your defence vs his attack values - 100 v 50 means nothing if his forces are 4 times stronger than yours

Magic involved?

Phobos

Sorry to hear that, ScottWAR.  Cavalry can be pretty devastating, especially if they were some of those sacred fairy commanders.

ScottWAR

Yeah, the cavalry he had just ate through my troops. I am pretty sure my problem was I should have been buying a lot more cavalry as well. Oh well, live(in this case actually die) and learn.

Beelzeboss

I had some cavalry with glamour so to beat that you need to get the glamour of first and I think the easiest way to do that is using archers. If I understand it correctly glamour doesn't work on ranged attacks. And then swarm them, every time a unit gets attacked it gets -2 to it's defence for that round of combat.

ScottWAR

Archers are ineffective against almost all cavalry because they wear armor......so you would need crossbowmen,.....and it seems those are fairly rare unless you start with them.

byrdman57

They're rare in the early age; much more common in a late age game.

Huw the Poo

GAH!  This bloody game has locked up my PC twice this morning.  I might have to see about migrating it over to Windows to see if that helps. :(

Phobos

Spells might have helped out.  Anything with an area of effect or high precision would have been able to take out some cavalry.  Unfortunately, without knowing more about Ermor's capabilities I can't suggest many specific spells.  Spells like Blindness, Combustion, Mind Burn, Solar Rays and even Smite all hit the target without failure, though many of these spells can be resisted.  Spells like Flare are area of effect, so they damage everything in the space it lands, but the spell can still miss.

If you play a single player game with Ermor, focus your research on evocation spells, then have your Auger Elders go out and blast everything with stuff like Falling Fires and Astral Fires.  Once you get a bit of practice blasting armies, play around with some of the other spells at your disposal and using your Augers in conjunction with different armies.  It might give you a bit more confidence with the nation   

Phobos

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 15, 2013, 02:42:11 AM
GAH!  This bloody game has locked up my PC twice this morning.  I might have to see about migrating it over to Windows to see if that helps. :(

I'll keep my eye on the timer in case you have any technical issues.  Don't forget to make sure your new machine has copies of the mods and map this game is using.