Dawn of the Grog: Early Age game (in progress)

Started by Phobos, May 21, 2013, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Shurp

Hello all.

I've been told that you need a sub for EA Ulm... I'm not a very good player but I'm willing to give it a try.  What do I need to do?

Phobos

Hi Shurp, thanks for offering to take over Ulm.

If you can use the private message function on this forum to send me an e-mail address of yours, I will make sure that llamaserver sends Ulm's turns to that address.  You will need to create a new folder in your ...dominions/savedgames folder to place the file.  When you run Dominions 3 and Play Existing Game, this game will have the same name as the new folder you created.

If you have any further questions about how to play or what to do, just ask.  I will try and provide unbiased answers, if I know the answer.

Shurp

Edit: Disregard

[I completed a turn.  It's not a very good turn, but I have some ideas worked out and once I get some intel on his forces I'll be in a better position to submit better turns]

[BTW, does EA Ulm have any effective way to boost its troops MR?  Iron Will is painful, one 170 gold mage for every 9 troops...]

Shurp

BTW, what is the current view on scout attacks?  I assume my lonely scout won't disrupt his move orders.  It seems to be the only way I can find out what forces TNN is moving around (besides waiting to get attacked), but before I send scouts to their death I wanted to make sure it wouldn't cause any problems.

Phobos

Antimagic is an Astral spell that effects all friendlies on the field.  It boosts the MR of everyone, but it costs a gem.  It is in Enchantment.

I am not sure how the thing with scouts works, but apparently one commander can occasionally block army movement.  I have not seen it myself, but apparently it can and does happen.

If you want to get an accurate look at someone's armies, you can sneak on to the province and use the 'attack current province' command while hidden.  According to what I have read, that has no chance to block movement.

As to whether it is an exploit or not, I can't answer that.  If any players want scout attacks, or similar kamikaze attacks prohibited, than I will add it to the game rules on the original post.

I have added some more time to the clock so that Beelzeboss can get his turn in.

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Shurp

That's what I was thinking -- attacking the current province with a scout.  Hypothetically attacking from another province could stall the army if they crash head into each other -- though that it should be unlikely.  And I believe coming in from the side shouldn't do anything at all.

BTW, I asked what *Ulm* could do to raise MR... Antimagic is a nice spell, but I have a shortage of 3S mages at the moment :)

Phobos

The only other MR boosting spell I am familiar with requires maxxed out Alteration and high Earth magic.  Army of Lead.  There might be some other available options that are good for buffing squads, I don't know.  I don't have much knowledge of Ulm.

Shurp

Yeah, I have a ways to go before I hit Alt-9.  But I'll keep it in mind if I survive that long, thanks!

OK, I'm getting confused.  I just got attacked by three non-commander "Tuatha" -- where did these come from?  We are in EA, right?

Are there any other surprises I should keep an eye out for in this bucket'o'mods?

Phobos

The mod was created by the Something Awful community.  They balance mods according to their own metric.  I would struggle to explain all of the changes from an un-modded game of Dominions, but it would appear that many of the high-end commander summons have been made much more powerful in various ways.

I would suspect that the Tuatha you were fighting might have been a unit summoned automatically by TNN's pretender.  My pretender (Pangaea) summons Cockatrice in whatever province she is in, so it could be something similar to that.

Shurp

Yeah, I suspected something like that... I also noticed Wendigos are W5D5.  Youch!

undercovergeek

I've had an emergency call out until monday night -can I get an extension?

Shurp

Well, this is getting ugly...

I'm not convinced the AI can do a better job than I can... but I have a few more ideas.  The next turn or two should make it clear.