DOOM

Started by parone, June 10, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingedflamez

For diplomacy, what is the prefered method? Is there an established IRC channel like SA uses. Or should we all just find our own ways of communicating?

ScottWAR

I would join,...but my experience with diplomacy in the groghammer game means I will never join another game with open diplomacy. Several people teaming up to take out everyone else is neither fair nor fun.

Faux

IRC would be great but that might be a bit hard since there are people from different timezones. I'm fine with ingame messages, PMs and this thread for public discussion.

Faux

Quote from: ScottWAR on June 16, 2013, 01:00:33 PM
I would join,...but my experience with diplomacy in the groghammer game means I will never join another game with open diplomacy. Several people teaming up to take out everyone else is neither fair nor fun.

I'd imagine that tends to happen if you're in a bad spot and others perceive you as an easy target -- especially if you're playing with more experienced players. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're ganging up on you.

Wingedflamez

I'm not an expert on diplomacy. But from what I have seen it also happens that a misunderstanding can lead to multiple people attacking at the same time with no coordination.

Haerdalas

OK then. I have sent off my pretender, and downloaded the map. However, having never played MP Dominions before, could I just confirm that the map is just downloaded and transferred to the desura/common/dominions-3-the-awakening/maps folder.

Update: just received an email saying my pretender had been received by the server, so that eems to be working.

undercovergeek

Remember to make sure you have the mods active before you design your pretenders - if they're not switched on the gods of dom III will change your set up when you send them in

Haerdalas

CBM 1.94 and Assimilation 1.1 right? I am pretty sure I had them active

W8taminute

I don't want to play either if all this game is going to degenerate to is a gang of players beating up all the noobs.

I'm a noob when it comes to this game.  ARe you all noobs or are you super gods with unstoppable spamming horror?  I'm not playing a game where some loser is going to spam his way to victory.  Sorry but I'm looking for a game where I'm on equal footing with everyone.  Count me out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Wingedflamez

I'm pretty sure only a few people have any MP experience. And the ones who do have very little.  My MP experience comes from reading let's plays from SA.

Haerdalas

SP only here with a bit of reading through guides. No actual MP experience here. I think ParOne probably has the most and he seemed to say he was intermediate at best. There may be ganging up - that's down to the players, but if it does occur it will likely be noob versus noob.

ScottWAR

Quote from: Faux on June 16, 2013, 02:11:14 PM
Quote from: ScottWAR on June 16, 2013, 01:00:33 PM

I'd imagine that tends to happen if you're in a bad spot and others perceive you as an easy target -- especially if you're playing with more experienced players. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're ganging up on you.

Ah,,....let me clear this up. I was never jumped on,...in both my games here I was lucky enough to be in a place where only one player was a threat to me early. BUT,....I know how games with teaming up is allowed go. At some point, a group of people will form that allies together almost every game. It will be impossible for anyone outside this group to win.

It has not happened to me,...and I hold no ill will towards anyone,....I just don't like games where being in a clique is a requirement to have a chance. And Im not saying that is the case here,...but it will develop over time if it hasn't already.

parone

hmm. 

diplo is obviously a fickle mistress.  but a game with diplo is not necessarily a game where there is going to be a super alliance. 

W8, we have specifically selected a map with the correct number of sights for our players.  you are now quiting because there is a chance someone might have allies in the game?  or because someone might spam horrors?  i don't think there is even a blood nation in this game(i think you need blood for the spell call horrors, but i might be wrong).  that seems kind of silly.

please confirm your status in or out of this game, please.

folks, if w8 is in, we will continue on this map.  if not, i'll probably have to reasses and find us a different map and recreate the game.  you should be able to use the pretenders you have already created-they are saved in your pretender file.

we'll wait for...w8.  haha.

Faux

Quote from: W8taminute on June 16, 2013, 06:52:08 PM
I don't want to play either if all this game is going to degenerate to is a gang of players beating up all the noobs.

I'm a noob when it comes to this game.  ARe you all noobs or are you super gods with unstoppable spamming horror?  I'm not playing a game where some loser is going to spam his way to victory.  Sorry but I'm looking for a game where I'm on equal footing with everyone.  Count me out.

Judging by the comments in this thread it seems most players are new to this game, or atleast multiplayer. I for example have never played in a MP game before.

undercovergeek

Quote from: parone on June 17, 2013, 03:16:01 AM

W8, we have specifically selected a map with the correct number of sights for our players.  you are now quiting because there is a chance someone might have allies in the game?

i think hes referring to the possibility of 3, 4 or more nations all agreeing not to attack each other and then collectively deciding to attack other nations one by one

theres nothing wrong with an alliance of 2 meeting nations at their borders and agreeing to peace or one asking for the help of the other, but when a collective of nations agree to all out attack nation 1, then nation 2 then nation 3 - some people have preferred not to play these games