DOOM

Started by parone, June 10, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faux

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 17, 2013, 04:12:50 AM
Quote from: parone on June 17, 2013, 03:16:01 AM

W8, we have specifically selected a map with the correct number of sights for our players.  you are now quiting because there is a chance someone might have allies in the game?

i think hes referring to the possibility of 3, 4 or more nations all agreeing not to attack each other and then collectively deciding to attack other nations one by one

theres nothing wrong with an alliance of 2 meeting nations at their borders and agreeing to peace or one asking for the help of the other, but when a collective of nations agree to all out attack nation 1, then nation 2 then nation 3 - some people have preferred not to play these games

Fixed alliances like this shouldn't exist and are lame indeed. To me they sound like a fine opportunity to just backstab someone.

W8taminute

Quote from: parone on June 17, 2013, 03:16:01 AM
folks, if w8 is in, we will continue on this map.  if not, i'll probably have to reasses and find us a different map and recreate the game.  you should be able to use the pretenders you have already created-they are saved in your pretender file.

we'll wait for...w8.  haha.

I'm in.  I was just ranting about finding a game with equal peers.  It sounds like that is the case here.  Although I would rather prefer not to engage in diplomacy if the situation later in this game is such that diplo negotiations are needed that is fine.   :)

What about trade?  Is everyone here comfortable with trading gems and items with each other?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Faux

As long as trade agreements are binding I don't mind.

W8taminute

^Agreed.  I'm an honest trader.  I know that some  players like to scam people in trades.  Not only is that kind of behavior pointless in this game but it's just tasteless.  Fighting should be done on the battlefield with armies not in the courtroom with lawyers and admins because some twit decided to scam someone in a trade.  Scamming is just plain filthy.

In other news:  I have sent my pretender in to llamaserver so I should be good to go!   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

parone

i agree with the game long fixed alliance/joint victory thing.  i think that's a nono, and not fair to other players.  if i think somebody has put that in place, you bet your fanny im going to try to assemble an alliance against them.  but hey, that's all part of diplo.

also, another nono IMO, is pre game alliances, so i hope nobody is engaging in that.

trade/diplo is however you want to do it.  you can use in game messaging or PM people here on grogheads.

while all diplo is caveat-emptor(lie and cheat all you want, but of course, people tend to remmember that stuff), i ask that people fullfill their trades.  if one party agrees to send gems for items, please fulfill your end of the bargain.

W8, i must tell you though, that diplomacy is pretty important.  i am admittedly an intermediate player(albeit a really, really shitty one) in amongst new folks.  that right there might be a reason to gang up on me.  or, your diplo could be as simple as trying to make peace with neighbors as soon as you see them.  this is a compact map/grouping.  so don't be afraid to contact other players and make nice!!  i actually quite like that part of the game, and all the dealing and scheming.

ok, it early monday morning here.  im off to work, and my lawn is in dire straights.  however, once all that's done, i'll try to get my pretender in.  in a recent test run with Bandar Log, it was 12 turns before i took my 3rd province, so i can't say my confidence is particularly high.

and W8, im glad to hear you are sticking in.  don't worry about defeat if it comes-after all, most of us are going to end up dead...

Phobos

I will send mine in some time tonight.  I am having trouble coming up with a pretender I like, with abilities that will also be useful.

I have played a few games, but only finished 2 multiplayer games.  Just so everyone knows.

Wingedflamez

Diplomacy can be a birch. But parone is right. If you suspect/know someone has an alliance try to make one your self. I on the dom3 wiki there is a really nice list of common mistakes made by newbies http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Common_mistakes.  I found it very useful.

As for trading I agree with everyone else. There is enough backstabbing and dirty dealing in this game that you shouldn't have to worry about trade. Especially since it is so easy to cheat someone.

As for communication. I have Skype and google talk if anyone would like to use those for private communication, if that is allowed. And of course email is good for me as well.

gp1628

A Tower map has been put forth in the past as being good for a newbie game since it makes ganging up pretty impossible until late game. Everyone only has 2 neighbors. (altho that makes it disliked later for serious MP games)

parone

Bronwell

Parone-

Could you please edit/confirm in your original post for this thread that trades are binding and that Diplomacy is Machiavellian? (you can backstab in diplomacy but you must do your best to honor all trades).  My understanding is that is how most Dominions MP games run, but it would be nice to have it confirmed in the game description here and/or on llamaserver if possible, so no confusion later when it matters.

For what it's worth, I just posted my pretender, leaving only Kailasa, which is you, Parone, I believe. :)

Good luck and have fun all.
-Bronwell

Bronwell

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no Kailasa in Middle Age, right?.. Just Bandar Log.

For what it is worth, I am still playing my first MP game and I thought I would point out quickhosting for those who (like I did) have no experience with it.  In that first game we had 48 hours for our first turn which occurred over the weekend.  Not knowing how it works, I waited til the last minute on Monday to post my first turn, obviously being last to post.

With quickhosting, whenever the last player files his turn, the next turn is sent within a few minutes, regardless of how much time was left on the clock, so you can have multiple turns happen in a short time at the beginning of a game when turns go quickly if everyone is available (like that weekend).  I would never rush anyone as I think you are free to use the whole time, but just wanted to mention it as I was completely unaware, and we could have likely had several turns quickly had I known how it works.

-Just looked at the games settings and couldn't tell-- Did we decide on a hosting interval to begin? (I assumed 28 hours) and is quickhost on?

Faux

Quote from: Bronwell on June 17, 2013, 02:52:09 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no Kailasa in Middle Age, right?.. Just Bandar Log.

That's correct. I hope parone is designing a pretender for the correct age :D.

parone

ok, a few clarifications:  yes, i'm screwed up on kalaisa/patala/bandar.  i honestly have no idea how to play this nation or it's strengths.  i winged it on the pretender.  this, by the way for those of you trying to improve, is a HORRENDOUSLY BAD idea.  you should have a pregame plan with your pretender/scales.  i just didn't have time to make one-you guys meant business and got your pretenders in fast.  i did, however, make the pretender for the right age.

bronwell: i never did set an interval.  as soon as i get done typing this, i will set the interval at 28 hours, which seems a good one in the early going.  and yes, i will enable quick host, which means as soon as we all have our turns in, llama will send out the new turn file.  so don't wait till the last minute unless you have to(although as bronwell says, no huge hurry, either.  and yes, i'll update the OP vis a vis trades/diplo.

also, let's throw this rule out:  no douchebaggery.  if your typing something and it's mean spirited, please don't.  i assume we are all here for a bit of fun and escape from reality, so let's at least try to be respectful of one another.

ok, i have officially sent the first turn.   very likely we'll have a technical issue or two, so everyone hang tight.  if you are at all technically savvy, check back here, so if any of the players are having trouble with mods/sending in turns, you can lend a helping hand(im not particularly bright with computers)

Faux

It seems that the game display an error about the assimilation mod. To solve this you need to manually rename the "Assimilation - Mid" .dm file in your mods folder to "Assimilation_Mid" with an underscore. Not the smoothest mod I see.

Edit: Actually that doesn't even help. It won't complain about the mod missing anymore but now it just crashes my game. I think there's a version mismatch here. Maybe the version that llamaserver has is different from the one that's linked in this thread.

Anyone else having problems with the mod or is it just me?

parone

ok, my turn came through ok.

one last thing and ill stop babbling:  if you need an extension, please post in this forum, PM me, or better yet, both.  the sooner you tell me, the better chance i'll be able to postpone hosting.  i've always dreamed of admining a stale free game.  keep the dream alive as long as you can for me!!

finally, if anyone wants to vice admin, speak up.  you may be around when i am not.

good luck all.  don't mess with Bandar Log-we fling monkey poo!!