DOOM

Started by parone, June 10, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parone

w8, all that is totally fine.  pretty commonplace in an effort to not collide

parone

and bronwell, yes, this game is proceeding quite briskly!  everyone seems very enthusiastic.  also, the quick intervals allow me to slaugher my own monkeys at even greater speed!!!

i hope the aspca isn't keeping tabs of what im doing...

W8taminute

^We won't tell, kill all the monkeys you need to!   ;D

Ok sounds good on the carving up the land and avoiding accidents agreements.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Faux

Quote from: W8taminute on June 21, 2013, 12:22:05 PM
^We won't tell, kill all the monkeys you need to!   ;D

Ok sounds good on the carving up the land and avoiding accidents agreements.

Accidental border skirmishes are bound to happen. I already had one and the better army won, keeping the province (atleast for now).

Wingedflamez

Diplomacy is diplomacy. Alliance, non aggression pacts, borders.  Diplomacy is what attracted me to dominions 3. It's what sets it apart from games like civilization.

As I was reading the let's plays I saw, it really did seem like there was more going on in the background, in the diplomacy, than was going on in the game. People making and breaking agreements, people string to guess what some one was doing and get others to help them stop it. Or simply trying to keep themselves afloat by requesting assistance.   And trying to guess who was helping who. Knowing that there can be only one winner so all alliances and agreements are temporary. You have to help to get help. But if you are too helpful you give them and edge to use against you.

Faux

Quote from: Wingedflamez on June 21, 2013, 01:11:04 PM
Diplomacy is diplomacy. Alliance, non aggression pacts, borders.  Diplomacy is what attracted me to dominions 3. It's what sets it apart from games like civilization.

As I was reading the let's plays I saw, it really did seem like there was more going on in the background, in the diplomacy, than was going on in the game. People making and breaking agreements, people string to guess what some one was doing and get others to help them stop it. Or simply trying to keep themselves afloat by requesting assistance.   And trying to guess who was helping who. Knowing that there can be only one winner so all alliances and agreements are temporary. You have to help to get help. But if you are too helpful you give them and edge to use against you.

This is also why I feel that shared victory games are rubbish.

parone

i agree with all that.  diplo is fine, but generally, when i hear two powers are going for a 'shared victory', i try to kill them.

Wingedflamez

Shared victory is silly. But at the same time if 2 nations are practically equal power then it turns into a slug fest for ever and ever. I do like the idea that after a few turns of trench warfare doing one giant final battle to decide the fate of the world unless one side or the other has a particular reason to not want to do that.

W8taminute

Quote from: parone on June 21, 2013, 02:06:24 PM
i agree with all that.  diplo is fine, but generally, when i hear two powers are going for a 'shared victory', i try to kill them.

That is the best statement ever.  Do you mind if I quote that and put it in my siggie?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

alastair

I'd like to throw in my vote against shared victory.  Unless we all vote for it to happen right now, and then play out the places :p

Haerdalas

Yeah, no shared victories. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a war to decide the one true God if you then choose a Pantheon...

That being said, using diplomacy throughout the game is fine in my opinion. It is a well known fact that some nations are just plain more powerful in the early game than others. Since Tien Chi is not one of the bless-rush nations, I plan to use diplomacy to either pacify any more powerful nations, or if that fails (quite likely) get my fellow squishy human nations to gang up on the Giants/Norse/whatever else the MA has to throw at us early on.

In this game, being weak is obviously a bad idea. But standing out as the strongest is a REALLY BAD IDEA. Because there is nothing like a common enemy to unite people.

Unless you're actually strong enough to take on all your neighbors. Then it's just a /fun/ idea.

UPDATE: I Finally have Neighbors! Ok, one is only with a scout, but the other actually has a border with me. Time for some diplomacy.

parone

i love to play Ulm, and they are an awesome early expander.  even 7 indies don't present much of a problem.  and i have played them so much that i am actually fairly good in the early game. 

but, now haerdalas, we get to your closing comment:  twice, i got big early and was able to eat opposing nations one on one.  and then, the world united against me.  you can handle it for awhile, but eventually, the toll of 4 on 1(or more) takes its toll.  especially if you are only so so at midgame, and downright lousy in the late game(and brother, i am)

that said, it's tons of fun to 'take on the world'.  you get to talk all kinds of smack and have delusions of grandeur and everything. 

the way things are going for me and the monkeys, i don't think i present much of a threat to the world.  but, you know, hope springs eternal

Bronwell

Parone... seeing your posts remind me of what I think is my favorite post in this thread.. so many dead furry little monkeys.   That is the motto of monkey PD.  Against any archery you see a carpet of monkeys.  The funny thing is seeing how well they sometimes stand up to a few elite units or giants who get stymied by 6 monkeys to a square defense 14 walls. 

parone

yes bron, i hear you.  some of my casualties occured in victories, but my losses are absolutely appaling

like i said, im usually ulm.  with protection26 and tower shields, force conservation is easy.  for the monkeys...well, i guess you better be making new monkeys

alastair

Doesnt bandar log get elephants?  Or am I confusing them with another group?