DOOM

Started by parone, June 10, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingedflamez

Not saying otherwise. Just everything I've seen is that thugs are important for harassing the enemy. Imo nothing should ever be unsupported not really even SC. But that is just because I believe heavily in the idea of flanking and rear assault.

Also everything I've read sort of points to thugs actually being the best way to handle SCs. In that for the cost of an SC you could create 2-3 thugs. And if they are geared correctly hose thugs can kill and SC with at most 1 loss, meaning that the net loss for your opponent is much higher than yours.

Phobos

Depends.  When I think of a thug, I think of a cheap commander with a lot of hit points, that you use with a regular army to reduce losses on your side while increasing losses to your opponent.  Something like a Jotun Jarl with a modest bless and a forged weapon, like a Frost Brand.  Enough Jarls like that and you can use them in place of an army, rather than in addition to one.  If they die, you lose the 5 gems for the weapon, so probably not a great loss. 

Setting up a thug for raiding, patrolling or assassination might require more gems for gear and a special summoned unit.  Gearing up units tasked with cracking a particularly tough nut probably counts as a thug too.  Super Combatants are not something I can really talk about.  I know how to make a dangerous combat pretender, like a Dragon, Gorgon or Prince of Death, but I struggle with building unstoppable units in-game, as well as keeping them relevant.

Taking out an SC really depends on the SC.  If nothing else, Mind Hunt or Vengeance of the Dead can be spammed remotely until you get lucky.  Otherwise it seems to boil down to finding the weakness of the unit (if they have one) and trying to exploit it.  My only experience killing SC's in a game was due to battlefield enchantments and a massive army more than specific units, but YMMV. 

Wingedflamez

What you described I would call a combat commander. A commander who does more than sit in the back and keep his guys from routing.

What I consider a thug is basically a mini SC.  With basic gear and minimal.support they can handle PD but an organized army with scripting is too much. The idea with him is to go in bust some heads and then withdraw before the real defense gets there.

Haerdalas

If you can get it, there is an artifact sword that is pretty much MADE for taking down SCs. Can't remember the name offhand, but basically when it hits someone they are instantly 100 fatigued and thus they fall to the ground, where your thug/mini sc/ whatever else you gave the sword to can finish it off at his leisure.

of course, being an artifact, you probably wont get it very often in MP. In signle players, weapons like that are the kind of overpowered stuff I used as standard and the reason I find SP no challenge anymore, and thus why I moved to MP. Losing is "fun" too, sometimes (or maybe I should stop playing Dwarf Fortress....).

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Haerdalas on June 24, 2013, 03:10:31 PM
Losing is "fun" too, sometimes (or maybe I should stop playing Dwarf Fortress....).

I doubt I'll ever win a game of Dom3, but it doesn't stop me giggling like a schoolgirl when I play! :D

W8taminute

Turn 15 News:

Today forces of Vanheim collided with forces from Jotunheim.  It seems that our two nations were going after the same independent province.  Vanheim wishes to declare it recognizes Jotunheim's victory and will stay away from this province.  We hope to avoid future accidental skirmishes with our kinsmen in Jotunheim.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Haerdalas

[rant]
One thing that has always annoyed me, particularly now in MP when every man counts, is the way your archers insist on carrying on firing after you have routed independents. It doesn't matter whether you wipe them all out, once they rout that is all that matters, but your archers just keep shooting, and sometimes they go and hit your men in the back and kill them.

Idiots.

[/rant]

parone

it does matter if you are reanimating corpses...

Wingedflamez

Yeah. I had a battle a few turns ago where all the losses I took were friendly fire related.

Faux

I've never had this horrible luck in a game and I'm on a neutral luck scale.  >:(

Haerdalas

What has happened to make you feel that way? You seemed to be doing alright from what I can see...

Phobos

It's worse when you pay for positive luck and get a series of bad events...

It is past the first year, so I doubt an unlucky turn or two will lead to a critical existence failure. 

Faux

Quote from: Haerdalas on June 25, 2013, 01:20:00 PM
What has happened to make you feel that way? You seemed to be doing alright from what I can see...

Bogus & friends locked down my capital for two turns among others.

Haerdalas

Bronwell

An early Bogus on your capital can be brutal.  Sorry to hear that.