DOOM

Started by parone, June 10, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parone

the really frustrating thing about Callahan is that he is SO offensive, SO condescending, which would be ok

but he is often SO right.

he called me out and shit all over me probably 5 times over at dommods, but most of the time, he was pretty much right.  now, I wasn't present at the Baalz thing(WAY before my time) but he probably wasn't all wrong.

anyway, here's to hoping Baalz some day pokes his head back into the dominions community.  I, for one, would absolutely love to play him(and likely get totally owned)

Phobos

People that seek validation from those that consistently give them abuse have emotional issues.  Talk to a therapist.

Regardless of the other circumstances of Baalz' departure from the Dominions 'community,'  the fact remains that he was put on a blacklist by the so called leaders of this community, where they went on to mock him at length.  That gives Baalz's claims of an orchestrated campaign of bullying plenty of credence, without knowledge of any of the other circumstances surrounding his departure.  It could simply be a self-fulfilling prophesy, or there may be more to it that a simple search engine is incapable of revealing.

Personally, I find the whole matter abhorrent.  I can only hope that certain toxic elements leave their taint off the next iteration of the game.

Faux

Quote from: Phobos on July 12, 2013, 10:32:57 PM
Personally, I find the whole matter abhorrent.  I can only hope that certain toxic elements leave their taint off the next iteration of the game.

If you just ignore Dom3mods community altogether you can avoid 90% these elitist powerfreaks. I assume their little ivory tower will become increasingly irrelevant especially with the influx of new players after Dom 4 has launched and Desura being the new official forum anyway.

parone

excuse me sir?  I in no way am 'seeking validation' from anyone.

actually, it was comments EXACTLY like that one that caused me to exit the dommods community in search of a more friendly environment to spend 20 leisure minutes per day.  so, please refrain from you gratis observations of my mental state.

as far as my original statement I stick by it:  Callahan is so abrasive precisely because he is usually right.  it's easy to shrug off a rant if it is totally off base.  when you know someone has a point, it is more irritating.  that said, I don't really enjoy his comments all that much, and I think anyone who takes a computer game as seriously as he does and obviously gets off on shitting on other people might have a few issues.  I am not, however, so arrogant as to suggest to the guy he has problems though.  because that'd just be being a jerk, telling people on a message board to go see a therapist or something...

as far as 'toxic elements' and their 'taint' you are playing a game heavily modified and improved by those folks, who did it all for free.  also, it's pretty unlikely that the next iteration wil be free of their 'taint'(ie, influence/improvements) due to the fact that those folks were singled out by illwinter to playtest dom4.

ok, that's enough of that unpleasantness :-X

Yskonyn

Quote from: PhobosPeople that seek validation from those that consistently give them abuse have emotional issues.  Talk to a therapist.

Unless you forgot the smileys and posted this as a hamless mocking I think this was pretty uncalled for, Phobos. :(

Quote from: parone on July 13, 2013, 06:09:43 AM
(...)  when you know someone has a point, it is more irritating.

Oh.. as in the old discussions with the wife? :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

parone

Ysk, does it matter if the wife is right?  cus whether she is right or not, you better listen or there ARE going to be consequences! :o

that said...my wife IS usually right, now that I think about it

Phobos

It's not uncalled for at all.

Every single time Calahan gets brought up, Parone comes along and details what an antisocial personality the guy has, goes on about how he has suffered abuse from this guy...then proceeds to apologise for Calahan, as though the abuse was somehow justified.

That is not okay.  If you think it is, you should seek professional guidance on how to deal with arseholes.  A therapist can help with that. 

edit:  and this has nothing to do with your mental state, otherwise I would have suggested a psychiatrist.

parone

another personality trait that could probably use professional guidance is that one where people insist they are right even when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I thought this was a dom forum, but I guess it's fun to have a mental health diversion...

also, I make no apologies for Callahan's behavior, and have actively sought to avoid him.  that said, when it comes to dominions, that guy has his shit squared away.  I, you, and virtually every other player have benefited from his efforts, and i'm not such an self absorbed douche wad that I don't acknowledge it.  so I give him credit for THAT, while not apologizing for his behavior.

Phobos

This came up because someone wanted to know where Baalz went, so I did a search for his name + dominions 3.

You responded with "Calahan...So offensive, so condescending, but so right", so forgive me if I took you for a trauma-bonded abuse victim.  It's good that you are avoiding someone like that, but don't expect me not to comment if you make excuses or apologise for his behaviour.  I don't care if he programmed Dominions himself, he's still a dick, first and foremost, because of the way he has behaved.         

Yskonyn

Ironically, just the same I responded to your reply, Phobos.
While not dare calling you a 'dick' for that response, I did find it pretty impolite to Parone.
You can also make your point without resorting to insulting people.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

parone

i'm wondering how many times i'd have to say i'm not apologizing for his behavior, but merely pointing out that at times it's worth tolerating him due to his helpfulness, before that'd hit home.  I believe I did say he was an interesting character, which he is, but I'm not sure that makes me a calahan apologist.

anyway, lets put this to bed.   I probably should have let the whole thing go, but for some reason I find it insulting when people who know me only through a message board start psycho-analyzing me.

more gaming, less arguing!!

Wingedflamez

The unfortunate truth is that many of the best and most knowledgeable people within.a community turn into complete elitist pricks. I saw it in world of warcraft, I saw it in another online game community.  It is usually the people who spend hours and hours testing things and studying things, and learning the ins and outs of whatever is the subject of their obsession. So unfortunately you can't argue with them when they say things because they are right.

Does that give them the right to be assholes, no.  But even though you can't stop that, you can't not listen to them. You just have to ignore the bullshit they spout, cut the the useful knowledge and go from there.

What I read in what pardoned said was basicall" The guy is an ass hole, but he is right. I got tired of him and left"

As far as Baalz is concerned. Do I believe they attacked him, yes. Do I believe he deserved it, no. Do I think they had a point, maybe, if half of what they said was true he was kinda being a jerk, but I don't know I wasn't there. Does that make me respect Ballz any less, no, everything that they were complaining about was exactlywhat  Baalz guides talk about. Would I play with Callahan, or Baalz, sure I would and I would get stomped and honestly I don't ever expect to be as good as them because I don't know anything about the internal workings.

W8taminute

Hey guys, hows the game coming along?  Although I've been vanquished and no longer in the game I still am curious about it's outcome.  DOOM is like a good movie.  Just because the movie theatre manager kicked me out of the theatre for being too loud doesn't mean I don't care how the movie ends.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Wingedflamez

I agree with parole, back to the game.

Well W8 game has stalled for now, until Tuesday. I can send you my ten and 2h files if you like, that way you can see the world through my eyes at least.

Phobos

I was not attempting to psychoanalyse anyone.  However, I used to work with family services and community outreach while I was studying, so certain things trip red flags for me.  I don't see any stigma in suggesting that people look for help or guidance from a neutral third party, nor do I place any stigma on those people who actually get help.

If you want to interpret my motives at a personal attack, that's ok.  Noted.  I'll drop the issue.

Just don't get upset if I 'psychoanalyse' your play style and use that to my advantage.