DOOM

Started by parone, June 10, 2013, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parone

Folks:

just a quick reminder:

move blocking is a banned exploit.  if you are using small groups of troops/scouts and attacking other players specifically to prevent their armies from moving, DO NOT DO SO AGAIN.

this is universally recognized as a flaw in the game, do NOT exploit it.

There is no debate on this.

ok, I hate that crap.  that's the lousy part of being an admin.  now I can go back to being my happy, carefree, underachieving self.

Wingedflamez

I do have a question about that.

With that in mind, if I were to attack ith a scout simply to get information about an enemy army would that be considered using the exploit?  Even though the intent was not to keep them from moving it was simply a scouting attack.

EDIT:  not that I would do anything to break the rules, I'm not that big of an asshole. But I am a little interested in that particular rule. I know it may not be something that the designers intended to be part of the game. But the idea of utilizing, or even sacrificing a small group of units to slowdown, harry, or immobilize a larger attacking forcetherby giving your main army either time to prepare or time for reinforcements to arrive has been used for hundreds of years. I'm pretty sure sun Tzu talks about that in the art of war, could be wrong though, been awhile since I read it.

As I said I am not going to knowingly and purposely break a rule. I am just curious.

parone

Winger:

I seem to remember that there was a way to 'scout' without move blocking.

I think you had to have the scout in the province(hiding) and then 'unhide', which would allow your opponent's army to still move.

but I do NOT KNOW that, so I have never tried it. 

one thing, of course, if the enemy is marching against you, Is to make sure you have at least 1 PD.  then you can see the enemy army with no danger of move blocking.

Faux

Quote from: parone on July 23, 2013, 03:01:55 PM
Winger:

I seem to remember that there was a way to 'scout' without move blocking.

I think you had to have the scout in the province(hiding) and then 'unhide', which would allow your opponent's army to still move.

but I do NOT KNOW that, so I have never tried it. 

one thing, of course, if the enemy is marching against you, Is to make sure you have at least 1 PD.  then you can see the enemy army with no danger of move blocking.

It's pretty much this. Sending a scout to attack a border province is pretty lame if there's a possibility of the opposing army advancing. You have to have the scout in the province first and then choose the attack current provice option.

Faux

Quote from: Wingedflamez on July 23, 2013, 02:32:49 PM
EDIT:  not that I would do anything to break the rules, I'm not that big of an asshole. But I am a little interested in that particular rule. I know it may not be something that the designers intended to be part of the game. But the idea of utilizing, or even sacrificing a small group of units to slowdown, harry, or immobilize a larger attacking forcetherby giving your main army either time to prepare or time for reinforcements to arrive has been used for hundreds of years. I'm pretty sure sun Tzu talks about that in the art of war, could be wrong though, been awhile since I read it.

As I said I am not going to knowingly and purposely break a rule. I am just curious.

The problem with this in Dominions is that you can send a single unit and it can prevent even the largest army in the world from moving.

Wingedflamez

In modern warfare a single man can disrupt an entire army. The right vehicle destroyed on the right road, the right bridge destroyed, a rockfall in a tight canyon, all of these can delay and army for days if they have to rebuild or reroute.  And all of them can be caused by a single person or small team.

I heard an account one time of a single sniper causing an entire platoon to hold position for like 48 hours because he killed so many men so fast they thought his position was defended by more than 1 man.  I think it was like 15 shots 15 headshots in like 45 seconds.

parone

prob true about small numbers disrupting formations(lots of stories about heavily armored tiger tanks holding up entire companies in the bocage in wwIi)

However...

move blocking in dom is still an exploit >:(

Phobos

It's not an exploit if that 1 unit is a thug though, is it? 

parone

no.  if it a legit military maneuver, you're fine.

if you are doing it expressly to stop the enemy stack from moving, that is a nono.

Bronwell

Could  I possibly get a 24 hour  extension?  I still hope to get it in today but no way to know.  Home with sick 20 month old.

Haerdalas

Shit, I think we are about to stale...

Faux

Quote from: Haerdalas on July 25, 2013, 04:37:24 PM
Shit, I think we are about to stale...

No worries about me -- I just sent my turn. Not so sure about Bronwell though. Maybe we need a vice admin in a different timezone for situations like this.

Haerdalas

Yeah, the extension was asked for several hours ago, but as Parone wasn't here, nothing could be done. Which timezone is he in anyway? America, I assume...

Still half an hour left, I suppose...

Wingedflamez

I am willing to do assistant admin. I'm the same time zone as par but I am only out of access of he message board for about 5-6 hours a day. While I'm asleep. I love having a smart phone. I don't know how I survived without one when I was younger.

Haerdalas

Huh, look at that.... he got it in on time. Well done Bronwell