Third Reich (AH) via VASSAL Pbem

Started by GJK, August 20, 2013, 09:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

All - I'm looking to coordinate a pbem game of AH's classic "Third Reich" using VASSAL and playing via email.  I have one other player committed to playing but could use one or perhaps two other players.

If you are unfamiliar with VASSAL, it is a java based application that lets you see the map and counters and a log of each players turn.  It's easy enough to set up and the module for Third Reich is freely available.  I can assist in helping you to set this up and with how to create pbem log files.

If you are new to Third Reich, well, I'm quite rusty so it would be a learning experience for us both.  Eddy (other committed player) is very experienced and can assist with game play.  Also, I can provide needed materials in electronic format.

With 3 or 4 players, I would say that it would consist of one or perhaps two logs a week (plays).  Very slow pace.

Post if interested.  Here's a good AAR of the game if you need some motivation:  http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1007225/a-most-audacious-game-part-1
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

What made you decide to play 3R? Do you have fond memories of playing it in the early 80's? I'm not bashing you for your choice. I'm just asking out of curiosity because there are so many more options these days.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

Quote from: Ubercat on August 20, 2013, 09:50:16 PM
What made you decide to play 3R? Do you have fond memories of playing it in the early 80's? I'm not bashing you for your choice. I'm just asking out of curiosity because there are so many more options these days.

The idea came about during a discussion of 3RPC over on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical newsgroup. 

I have WiF, WWII ETO, A3R and Krieg (not TK unfortunately). 

3R is moderate to low complexity and should work nicely in pbem.

I like 3R for the precision chess-like moves that must be made.  A player must carefully weigh the decisions on movement, sequence of attacks and purchases of units and when and where to DOW.

What would your preference or suggestion be?
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

Just about anything else, since you asked! :P

I walked about 2-3 miles to the game store in the early 80's to buy 3R. I had finally saved enough money and wasn't able to score a ride for another week. I couldn't wait so I decided to hoof it. I was probably 14. I'd mastered Risk, Axis and Allies, and Hitlers War. 3R was the next logical step in complexity and I was walking on clouds all the way to the game store! The return trip was even more euphoric.

I was so let down when I finally started reading the rules and trying the game out. It was ugly, clunky, contrived, and seemed like it could be so much better even for those days. After 1-2 abortive attempts at playing the game with my friend, I ended up just using the map for a number of games I made up myself with pieces made from modelling clay. As I recall, the game couldn't even do a reasonable job of simulating the fall of France. I read years later that the system was "optimized" for the  Eastern Front and couldn't do as well with the western blitzkrieg.

I would have suggested that you play World at War, a very popular newer version of the system which also includes the Pacific, but they apparently don't have a Vassal mod available.  :(
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bayonetbrant

my real problem with 3R was that with the scale of the map, you had acres of empty space out there east of Stalingrad, but France was about 8 hexes.  I would've prefered a map that was half the scale and lopped off the parts of the USSR you'd never get to anyway.  I think it's indicative of the problem that my dad's copy has a giant coffee mug ring on the USSR part of the map and it has never once interfered with play.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 22, 2013, 08:41:17 AM
my real problem with 3R was that with the scale of the map, you had acres of empty space out there east of Stalingrad, but France was about 8 hexes.  I would've prefered a map that was half the scale and lopped off the parts of the USSR you'd never get to anyway.  I think it's indicative of the problem that my dad's copy has a giant coffee mug ring on the USSR part of the map and it has never once interfered with play.

You should try the previously mentioned Hitler's War then.  It's exactly double the scale of 3R.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1506034/hitlers-war?size=original
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

you realize that if I put HW in my "to be played" stack, it'd be #2034957823409587123409 (at last count) ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Sounds like you need to prioritize my friend!  :)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

sunnysn

spamspamspamspamspamspamspamspamspam!

BanzaiCat

Hitler's War would be a lot nicer to play than 3R. My feelings for the AH game are much the same as everyone else's - I was super excited to buy it and then it confused the hell out of me, especially the production rules. The board was about the ugliest damn thing too.

I remember my last game clearly - I played the Germans in the '44 scenario. My opponent was new to 3R. I won the game. I picked the '44 scenario because I thought it would be easier on him and I ended up turning it all into a German empire. That really turned me off the game.

Despite all that, I still have somewhat fond memories of it, which is probably the sado/masochist in me trying to assert itself.

GJK

Well I've got my copy of GMT's new "The Supreme Commander" and I'm just waiting for them to print and send out the "fix-it" kit that corrects the typo's, missing or incorrect charts and clears up the rules.  The game was a mess upon release because the designer is out of country (serviceman) frequently and they lost their proofer/playtester half way through I think but people are saying that there's a real good game in there that is manageable to play. So hopefully that one will become my ETO game of choice soon.  I do have SPI's ETO II, and WiF 4 (and final edition) but haven't invested the time to learn either yet (hoping for TSC to work out).

Hitler's War is a very uniquely interesting game.  I'd play that pbem any time.  Now THAT one had the ugliest map of all time however!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

W8taminute

Advanced 3R is a pretty good looking and more interesting game to play than vanilla 3R.  What say you guys about that?

I've got WW2: ETO and PTO and would love to play them again some day.  I know there is a gamebox for ETO on Vassal.

Do you guys play Decision Games Computer War in Europe?  The new one that came out about two years or so ago.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

BanzaiCat

Quote from: W8taminute on November 01, 2013, 03:19:58 PM
Do you guys play Decision Games Computer War in Europe?  The new one that came out about two years or so ago.

Never played it but always wanted to know if it was any good. I thought it was odd doing a computer game that doesn't have single-player ability but I guess they just wanted to wash their hands of AI.

W8taminute

It didn't get the controversy of Matrix's WiF for not having an AI but still I loved this game.  I played a complete campaign up until 1943 when the axis were just so strong that they could not be defeated.  This was a game I played against myself mind you. 

I've been playing on and off alone against myself for a while and figured maybe there might be a real person to play with at some point?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

GJK

I playtested and did some modded graphics for CWIEII.  I forget the coder's name but he was a nice guy and gave me a free copy of the game.  I have pbem'd it before.  I love that it shows the CRT and the die going up and down the CRT column until it rests on the final roll.  My only "issue" with this game is the number of units.  It takes FOREVER to do a pbem turn with all of the units that it has.  With a large group of people, it might not be so bad.

I do have A3R but haven't read the rules nor played it.  I also have ETO and there is an "updated" set of free rules for download on BGG that clears up issues, includes errata and proposes house rules for the few things that are "broken" in the game (if they indeed are broken).  That would be the game that I lean towards if not Hitler's War.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer