Helldivers II Announced!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 26, 2023, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

I tried solo and it was very frustrating, even on the easiest level.  Ended up refunding it.  YMMV.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Skoop

I'm pretty sure there's match making to coop with randos, I'd try that versus solo.  Same thing with six days in falluja, you have to coop it with friends or randos or you will have a horrible time.

Dammit Carl!

Something like this screams for a "Squad," treatment where there are multiple groups heading for a overall larger objective - throw in combined arms where you've got a boss in orbit in a "top down," command view (with bombardment controls, etc.) and some flyboys tearing up the airspace too.  Whoo-boy, wouldn't that be some shit.

p.s. And RubixRaptor showed off an Arma 3 mod that does just that.

Jarhead0331

I'm telling you, boys...this game is awesome. They doubled server capacity and this still happens.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Game absolutely rules.  In addition to the awesome and addicting gameplay, the writing is fantastic.  I love how they nailed the satirical tone of Starship Troopers.  The whole training sequence with the pre-recorded general talking you up like the ultimate badass because you followed basic instructions and managed not to get killed by an automated turret is just *chef's kiss*

I've been playing the easier missions on solo and been enjoying it fine, but it definitely seems worth queuing up with randoms for the harder ones.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Server capacity issues are becoming a real problem. They need to fix this ASAP. I've only been able to get in once this weekend so far. Very frustrating.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 18, 2024, 07:44:21 AMServer capacity issues are becoming a real problem. They need to fix this ASAP. I've only been able to get in once this weekend so far. Very frustrating.

I've hit the queue every time I fire up, but I've always managed to get a game within 5 minutes or so.  I wonder if it's a regional thing?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Dammit Carl!

To be fair (cue Letterkenny bit), it's an amazing thing where a game has generated so much interest/attention/exposure with seemingly few problems outside of the server issues in such a short amount of time - and granted, I'm on the outside looking in on this so my take is probably full of holes already.

I'm impressed as to how this thing has blown up in such a good way and how this puts the big boys on notice, too.

al_infierno

May have spoken too soon, been stuck on "Defrosting Helldiver" for quite a while now.  Is this a fancy new way of saying queued up?

- MengJiao

al_infierno

I managed to play a bit earlier today around 4 PM PST, but now at 6:30 PM I've been sitting in the queue for half an hour straight.  Apparently there's no AFK auto-kick feature, so there's probably a ton of people who just have the game running constantly with their character sitting in their ship all day and night until they're ready to play.

Definitely a bit frustrating.

- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on February 21, 2024, 09:30:08 PMI managed to play a bit earlier today around 4 PM PST, but now at 6:30 PM I've been sitting in the queue for half an hour straight.  Apparently there's no AFK auto-kick feature, so there's probably a ton of people who just have the game running constantly with their character sitting in their ship all day and night until they're ready to play.

Definitely a bit frustrating.

It's totally frustrating, but it's such a kickass game. They really knocked it out of the park.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

You're tempting me Jarhead. I have a mate who has it. He seems to like it. But I have barely touched squad which was supposed to be my fps staple.
If this game has a starship troopers vibe is it hands down better than the actual starship troopers recent fps release?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

al_infierno

Quote from: Destraex on February 21, 2024, 11:14:23 PMYou're tempting me Jarhead. I have a mate who has it. He seems to like it. But I have barely touched squad which was supposed to be my fps staple.
If this game has a starship troopers vibe is it hands down better than the actual starship troopers recent fps release?

It's extremely different.  The Starship Troopers game was a base building wave defense game.  This is more of a get in, accomplish an objective, and get out before you get overwhelmed game.  No bases, just cool explodey guns and support weapons.  Hard to really compare, but this one is extremely addicting.

- MengJiao

Tripoli

Quote from: al_infierno on February 21, 2024, 11:16:27 PM
Quote from: Destraex on February 21, 2024, 11:14:23 PMYou're tempting me Jarhead. I have a mate who has it. He seems to like it. But I have barely touched squad which was supposed to be my fps staple.

It's extremely different.  The Starship Troopers game was a base building wave defense game.  This is more of a get in, accomplish an objective, and get out before you get overwhelmed game.  No bases, just cool explodey guns and support weapons.  Hard to really compare, but this one is extremely addicting.
Is it trying to capture some of the vibe of the Heinlein "Starship Trooper" book?
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

al_infierno

Quote from: Tripoli on February 22, 2024, 08:53:59 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 21, 2024, 11:16:27 PM

Is it trying to capture some of the vibe of the Heinlein "Starship Trooper" book?

Not at all. It's the tone of the film 100%.

- MengJiao