What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

I'm enjoying my marathon reread of the HH series.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Am halfway through The Dragon Reborn.  Whatever one may say of some of the later books in the WoT series, there's no question that at least the earlier ones move at a good clip. 

Also, it's fun remember/rediscovering what I've forgotten!  :D 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 07, 2014, 09:58:58 PM
I'm enjoying my marathon reread of the HH series.
Horatio Hornblower or Honor Harrington? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

Harrington.
I'm bitter over there not only being any video game but his legal teams squashing of any mod work.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Greybriar

I am currently reading To Rule the Waves by Arthur Herman.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I have that book, Greybriar. Navies of WWI, right? It's on my to read shelf. How is it?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on April 09, 2014, 08:08:55 AM
Am halfway through The Dragon Reborn.  Whatever one may say of some of the later books in the WoT series, there's no question that at least the earlier ones move at a good clip. 

Also, it's fun remember/rediscovering what I've forgotten!  :D 

You're moving along at a good clip, too! -- although I did come to realize during my re-read last year that if I stuck to a disciplined schedule I could put away three books a month.

My dad finally made it through the slog a few weeks ago, and finished Knife of Dreams the other day, so he' well into the downhill slope. Or uphill to the peak from the swamp. Whichever metaphor works best. It's all new to him; he'd never read a single one of them before.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on April 10, 2014, 07:49:06 AM
I have that book, Greybriar. Navies of WWI, right? It's on my to read shelf. How is it?

To Rule the Waves may include WWI, but so far I've read the first 80 pages and it's mostly about events in the 16th century. There's still about 500 pages to go though.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

Gah I got it confused with To Crown the Waves...nevermind!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 10, 2014, 08:23:09 AM
... he'd never read a single one of them before.

I wish I'd never read a single one of them before. To start the completed GoT series from scratch would have been truly epic. Instead, I grabbed the first 3 books from The University of PA bookstore in the early 90's when I was locked out of my apartment for a few hours. "Oh look, a new trilogy!" I said to myself. After getting close to the end of book 3, I realized that the story didn't appear to be close to concluding.

Whenever a new book was due out, I'd reread the previous ones in preparation. I quit rereading the entire series around book 5 and just read the previous 1 or 2. Around book 9, I got tired of the multi-year wait between volumes and quit reading them all together. I still collected them, though, in anticipation of doing the entire series at once. I just need to get the last 3 books in paperback and I'll do just that.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Mr. Bigglesworth

"John Adams famously stated: "Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself.There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." America today faces one of the greatest[/font][/font]threats which have arisen since this nation's founding – the unsustainable spending of our own government.[/font][/font]Sooner rather than later, this nation's "debt bomb" will go off. In fact, if we don't change course in the next[/font][/font]two or three years, the America of the future will only be a hollow shell of its former self."[/font][/font]
http://www.capitolreader.com/2011sum/041512-debt-bomb.pdf
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

That's pretty scary, Biggs.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

^John Adams only said the first 2 sentences. ("Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself.There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.")The rest is from the author of the pdf.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Airborne Rifles

Started Through Struggle the Stars. Pretty good scifi.

Dolan50

QuoteJohn Adams only said the first 2 sentences. ("Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself.There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.")The rest is from the author of the pdf.

And has been pointed out earlier by Brant, we aren't a Democracy but a Republic.

Democracy or a Republic

"How often do we hear the claim that our nation is a democracy?  Was a democratic form of government the vision of the founders?  As it turns out, the word democracy appears nowhere in the two most fundamental founding documents of our nation – the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.  Instead of a democracy, the Constitution's Article IV, Section 4, declares "The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, . . . ."  Our pledge of allegiance to the flag says not to "the democracy for which it stands" but to "the republic for which it stands."  Is the song that emerged during the War of 1861 "The Battle Hymn of the Democracy" or "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"?

So what is the difference between republican and democratic forms of government?  John Adams captured the essence of the difference when he said, "You have rights antecedent to all earthly governments; rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws; rights derived from the Great Legislator of the Universe." Nothing in our Constitution suggests that government is a grantor of rights.  Instead, government is envisioned as a protector of rights."

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/fee/democracy.htm
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Mr. Bigglesworth

Through most of history the words have been the same. It is only in recent times that people have tried to re-define distinctions between them.
Democracy is from the Greek language.
Republic is from Latin that the Romans used. It was a translation of the Greek.

Any country with government elected by the people is a democracy. Commonwealth countries have a parliament. Republics traditionally have a Senate. Same diff.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598