What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

going through House Of Steel, an Honorverse companion book.  pretty good so far.  the first half is a stand alone story which is interesting if your into the series.  the rest of the book is a history and tech guide of the story's universe.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on June 09, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
I finished Tolkien's Book of Lost Tales Vol. 1 last night.  I'm going to call it a thumbs down.  I think, if you're into that kind of stuff, it would be best to just stick with the Silmirillion.  BoLT is basically just early drafts of the stories in Silm and a whole bunch of exposition by Tolkien's son. 

If you are super into Tolkien and really want to see the genesis of Silm then maybe it's worth it.

Overall I don't feel compelled to dive right into Vol. 2.
Thanks for the mini-review Toonces.  While I've had a lifelong fascination/love for the Tolkien-verse (well, for almost the last two decades, at any rate), I've never been certain whether or not I wanted to check out the Lost Tales.  From your description, I'm probably better off passing on it; while I enjoy certain aspects of world-building, this sounds like it would be too dry/dull for my tastes. 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 09, 2014, 10:01:06 PM
going through House Of Steel, an Honorverse companion book.  pretty good so far.  the first half is a stand alone story which is interesting if your into the series.  the rest of the book is a history and tech guide of the story's universe.
I've had a couple other people say they've enjoyed this one as well.  It takes place earlier on in Manticore's history, yes? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

it starts 50 years or so before the series story.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

'Bitter Victory' is proving to be a most interesting read so far.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

the story of Mirth's sex life?

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Not-incidentally, my Dad finished the WoT series a few days ago, and now is looking for something else, this time in epic science-fiction.

Being an old Navy guy, I thought he might like the Honor Harrington series -- which some fans happen to be discussing right now again in this thread! I SHALL TAKE THIS AS A SIGN!  :D

Recommendations on where he should start (to see if he likes it) and proceed (in case he does)?

Edited to add: they'll have to be Kindle, though. Or not heavy books -- he's decided to heck with large physical books anymore.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

the first 2 books in the HH series are free on kindle.  and he needs to state with Basilisk Station.

GDS_Starfury

GDS_Starfury

Greybriar

I am about to start reading Stalin: The First In-Depth Biography Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia's Secret Archives by Ėdvard Radzinskiĭ.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Greybriar on June 11, 2014, 04:42:58 AM
I am about to start reading Stalin: The First In-Depth Biography Based on Explosive New Documents from Russia's Secret Archives by Ėdvard Radzinskiĭ.

Sounds like the documentary Russia's War: Blood on the Snow.

Also, thanks Star!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 10, 2014, 09:23:28 PM
the first 2 books in the HH series are free on kindle.  and he needs to state with Basilisk Station.

I'm seeing only the first book for free, but that's okay.  :) He'll be able to tell from that whether he likes the concept and execution or not.

JasonPratt

Incidentally, I asked this in another thread as well, but if I wanted to start him on WH40K on Kindle (if that's even possible), what would fans recommend?