What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I am currently reading The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. It is the second book in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

Still merrily chugging through the X-Wing series.  Just started Book 8, Isard's Revenge.  :) 

Quote from: Greybriar on March 22, 2015, 07:57:50 AM
I am currently reading The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley. It is the second book in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series.
How many books total, Greybriar?  Is the series finished? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

Only two so far, Martok. According to this, the third book in the series is scheduled to be released in January 2016.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

Great name for the series, though... unhewn throne.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

As usual I'm trucking through a couple of books.  On the non-fiction front I'm working my way through The Guns at Last Light by Atkinson, and just started High Tide at Gettysburg by Tucker.  I'm not grooving on the Gettysburg book, though, so if it doesn't pick up I'm going to move on.  I have plenty of unread Civil War books to get through.

I also just started reading Unfinished Tales by Tolkien that I found in a used book store Friday.  So far I'm enjoying it.  I was searching for some of the fantasy books you guys mentioned and came across a book called The Seer King by Chris Bunch that sounds good so I just borrowed that and The Children of Hurin by Tokien for my Kindle.

That should all keep me busy for a while!   :buck2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Just finished The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook...absolutely terrible. I skimmed the last 2/3 of it and never, not for one page, did I have the vaguest idea what is going on. The universe was interesting by totally unexplained and undefined. It was like I was just supposed to understand a billion aeons of history for 1000 different cultures, condensed into 300 pages. Meh.

I really hope Marko Kloos' Terms of Enlistment can rekindle my interest in military space sci-fi.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Dies he Fire by S. M. Stirling
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Mr. Bigglesworth

In all your books, the butler did it.

I'm reading
"Is the American Century Over?" Joseph S. Nye Jr.

I spotted it from the link to his talk in another thread. It's either very short or very interesting. I'm half through in no time, Quite a bit is on the Russia situation.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

What does he have to say about the Russia situation?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Gusington on March 23, 2015, 07:58:15 AM
What does he have to say about the Russia situation?

A sample paragraph:

Declining powers like the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires in 1914 can prove highly disruptive in the international system. Putin's Russia lacks a strategy for long-term recovery and reacts opportunistically (and sometimes successfully in the short run) to domestic insecurity, perceived external threats, and the weakness of neighbors. Russia thus becomes a revisionist spoiler of the status quo seeking to become a catalyst for other revisionist powers which chafe at American pre-eminence. But an ideology of anti-liberalism and Russian nationalism is a poor source of soft power. Rather than having a universal appeal beyond Russia's borders, it tends to be self-limiting by creating mistrust. Thus the prospects for Russian plans for a Eurasian Union to compete with the European Union are limited.

Mr. Bigglesworth

This is the first strategy type book that I think I will finish in 3 or 4 days. Usually I have to cogitate on sections, making the book last a while. This book goes down like milkshake, where you are straining at the straw that governs your intake.

Gusington

Interesting...what are some of the other chapters about?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

There are 6 chapters, the 7th is a conclusion. The breakdown is how did we get here, is America in decline [no], new challengers [to regional dominance], the rise of China [reading now], comparison to Rome, power shifts/ global complexity, conclusion. About 150 pages.

I expect anyone going to his talk on the 2nd will get the book in coles notes speech format.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: OJsDad on March 22, 2015, 09:18:05 PM
Dies he Fire by S. M. Stirling

I've eyeballed this one. What are your thoughts?

Gusington

Interested to hear about the Rome comparison, Biggs. And. If the author has a timetable for the next 25, 50, 75 years etc.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd