What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

Just started   The Eagle and the Albatros: A Novel of the Imperial German Air Service: Volume 1 (The Eagle Trillogy) by Mr. Deke D Wagner

"A NOVEL OF THE IMPERIAL GERMAN AIR SERVICE A TALE OF AERIAL ADVENTURE set in France during World War I. Willi Wissemann, an impetuous Bavarian officer, joins the German Air Service in 1916 to escape the drudgery and hardships of trench warfare. He is sent to the Front after a brief stint in flying school and begins his career as a recon-bomber pilot, excelling at the seemingly menial tasks of aerial bombardment and photographic reconnaissance. But Wissemann soon realizes that flying single-seat fighting scouts is his true destiny. When the German High Command reorganizes the Air Service into specialized "hunting-squadrons" and re-equips them with their latest scout, the Albatros D.III—the air war takes on a fiercer and more deadly course. Finally, after many months of pestering the Army High Command, Willi Wissemann gets his chance to take command of a Jasta—a fighter squadron. Once he arrives at the airfield in the Champagne sector, he realizes he has his work cut out for him. He must reorganize an insubordinate bunch of misfits, misanthropes, castoffs and drunks, into a real fighting-squadron. Then during the height of the French spring offensive of 1917, Wissemann is asked to fly a special mission to Paris, transporting a Secret Service agent. What happens next will have a profound effect on his life, his career, and his outlook on the war, changing him forever, scarring his soul for eternity."

Has good reviews and so far so good. Will definately get the follow on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1491272724?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

JasonPratt

Sounds like a good pitch for a film, too! Keep us posted on how you find it.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TacticalWargames

Even has an Appendix at the back with a page dedicated to a particular plane. Also a glossary. The book is very well researched which can always be an issue with novels and something that can ruin a novel for me.

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 02, 2015, 04:03:11 PM
Sounds like a good pitch for a film, too! Keep us posted on how you find it.  O0

Toonces

Daggummitt, I just lost a whole long post!  I hate when that happens!   >:(

So short version:

Gus:  Recommend reading GoT regular books if you haven't already.  They're great, even if you've seen all of the TV show.

Martok:  I knew you'd like Lions.  If you are ready for more Kay, I'd recommend my favorite: Sailing to Sarantium.  It's slower to get into, but it's my favorite book of all time.  It's deep and the end is simply spectacular.  I don't recommend binging on Kay, though, because he's kind of intense.  Maybe one more and then take a break.  But I can't recommend Sailing highly enough...it is a very good book.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

Toonces I read the first GoT, I have the second waiting on my shelf.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Almost done with Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings. Everything else I've read on the conflict has been pretty dry, but this one really captures the drama of the war. Very engaging.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on July 06, 2015, 06:54:25 AM
Almost done with Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings. Everything else I've read on the conflict has been pretty dry, but this one really captures the drama of the war. Very engaging.

A classic. One of my all-time favorite military histories. It's one I've read several times.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Agreed. I've read it several times.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

Tactical Wargames, if you are on a WWI kick, try Ernest K. Gann's In the Company of Eagles.
Actually anything by Gann is worth reading.  You may know his better known novels "Fate is the Hunter", "THe High and the Mighty", or "Masada".
Clearly the best pilot who wrote novels, his stuff is very engrossing.  If you've already read, or seen, Masada, try his sequel, Antagonists.
He really was a pilot and could tell a great story.  During World War II, he was in the Transport Command in India.  Taking off from Agra in a DC3 (Gooney Bird), his engines failed and he nearly became famous as the man who crashed into the Taj Mahal.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

vyshka

I really enjoyed One Hundred Days: The Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander by Sandy Woodward

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on July 03, 2015, 10:55:32 PM
Martok:  I knew you'd like Lions.  If you are ready for more Kay, I'd recommend my favorite: Sailing to Sarantium.  It's slower to get into, but it's my favorite book of all time.  It's deep and the end is simply spectacular.  I don't recommend binging on Kay, though, because he's kind of intense.  Maybe one more and then take a break.  But I can't recommend Sailing highly enough...it is a very good book.
Thanks Toonces!  I'll be sure check it out, although I'll probably wait a book or two after Monte Cristo, as I'll probably want something a little lighter by that point.  (Even with all the swashbuckling, Dumas tends to be somewhat dense reading in my experience.)  It's definitely going on my "to do" list, though.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I'm in Dallas for a few days attending the pilot of a generator class I authored. I'm actually okay with hiding out in a hotel, at least here as the area's a little dicey. I found a Half-Price Books close to me and found a few gems that I couldn't resist buying. It's been a LONG time since I've actually bought a book from Half Price so I was pretty happy.

Das Boot...I mean, come on. No brainer.  O0

Generation Kill, I once had and read a long time ago, then lent it out and never got it back, so this was a GREAT find for me.

Then the German Infantry book just looked good an it was cheap (cheaper than most of their books).

I was a little pissed when I found an old paperback - can't even remember what it was now - but it was $2.25. So, Half Price Books, you'd think it's $1.13 or so, right? Nah, it was $4.99. Makes perfect sense. I thought maybe it was a collectible but it was in the general history section and wasn't in a clear cover. Oh well, I did well I think.

I did check the games section and they had nothing. It was a lot smaller than the Half Price that's near my house. I really felt like I was going to find a bargain. I did see a boxed copy of the Top Secret RPG but I already have it, so meh.

Gusington

After the books take a black light to that mattress.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat