What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

I ended up going with Hell's Foundation's Quiver.  A very good read so far, but I now wish I'd re-read Like a Might Army first to refresh my memory of certain things.  Oh well. 

Quote from: MetalDog on December 31, 2015, 02:15:46 PM
Re-reading The Silmarillion.  I'll probably move on to LotR after that.
I need to do this in the fairly near future as well.  Sigh; too many books and not enough time... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on December 30, 2015, 09:27:39 PM
Just ordered Robert Massie's "Peter The Great: His Life And World: His Life And World"

O0

Hofstadter

D day, the battle for normandy by anthony beevor
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

bob48

^That's on my 'to buy' list. I did get his 'Ardennes' book last year, and that was a damn good read.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

I'll read anything by Beevor.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2015, 05:47:55 PM
Unacceptable. You should know I am attempting to shrink down my existing to-read pile and that my virtual to-buy pile is at 25 items already.

Just a reminder, you have a free pdf of Cry of Justice somewhere already. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Those Clancy books are fun as long as you skim them for the action parts. There's lots of unnecessary filler in his later books. It kinda reminds me of Stephen King, the more popular and well known he became the less anyone dared to edit him.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

And apparently I just replied to a very old post. So much for reading the forums on my phone :p
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

The Great Northern War is on my reading list.
For all those who have read Massie's Peter the Great, this may be of great interest.  A military history of the war that Peter fought to bring Russia into Europe, and Sweden's attempt to keep it's Great Power status.

http://www.military-history.us/2015/11/book-review-the-great-northern-war-compendium-edited-by-steve-kling/
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I whipped through This Book is Full of Spiders pretty quickly.  It was OK but nothing great.

I ordered a couple of Osprey books from Amazon and just cracked open Ki-61 and Ki-100 Aces.  Haven't started reading yet.  I'm just looking at the pretty pictures at this point.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Hofstadter on January 03, 2016, 06:44:50 AM

I just finished reading this book a couple of months ago...it's an outstanding read.

Barthheart

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 04, 2016, 08:02:10 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on January 03, 2016, 06:44:50 AM

I just finished reading this book a couple of months ago...it's an outstanding read.

Know any good games about the subject?   ;)

besilarius

Thanks, Gus, had never seen this before.
Think I will see if can arrange a library loan though.  That is quite a lot.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.