Tabletop playtesters needed for Operational-level games

Started by bayonetbrant, January 29, 2014, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Next Wars I: Orange Crush, is going to need some love soon.

here's where things stand:

- Game rules are basically done.
- Counters are done
- Map is done
- Player aids and 90% done and might get tweaked for aesthetics, but unlikely to have big changes
- Command Cards work as cards, but may need to get re-created as a check-box sheet, depending on production costs. Maybe the cards become a stretch goal for a KickStarter campaign

Scenarios? There's the rub

First scenario is good - played multiple times and seems pretty solid. Tough for the Russians, but they can succeed if they put the right support chain in place to get across the map quickly, and use their partisans to max effect

Second scenario seems good, but only played 1x to completion and needs a few more runs to truly know

Third scenario was an unbalanced failure the first time it ran, being rewritten to rerun it

Fourth scenario not yet tested

Now, I do have some space / time to try to get some more testing done, but it wouldn't hurt if there's someone out there willing to give the game a once-over, with the understanding that you'd be sent a bunch of PDFs and would have to print/assemble the entire thing yourself, as I'm not in a position to help provide any components. There's a big-ish map, a set of cards, a counter sheet, rules, scenarios, play aids. Let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I cam pull together for you
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I'd give it a shot if I had an opponent. Maybe you should (or get someone else to) make a Zun Tzu box version to play test. It also might save myself and others of my level of coordination a few paper cuts and a possible running with scissors type accident.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

no idea how to build a vassal or zuntzu package for the game, or I'd consider it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I don't have the ability to print-and-play anything right now, but would be glad to help with proofing or anything like that.

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2014, 07:18:06 PM
no idea how to build a vassal or zuntzu package for the game, or I'd consider it

The Zun Tzu program is supposedly easy to use. I'll look into it if you want me to. 

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

panzerde

I'd give it a go, and double if it can be done in Vassal or the equivalent.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 29, 2014, 07:18:06 PMno idea how to build a vassal or zuntzu package for the game, or I'd consider it
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 29, 2014, 07:58:23 PMThe Zun Tzu program is supposedly easy to use. I'll look into it if you want me to. 
Quote from: panzerde on February 04, 2014, 07:44:43 PMI'd give it a go, and double if it can be done in Vassal or the equivalent.

Anyone who has the knowledge and inclination to build a VASSAL module, let me know and we can try to work something out

Staggerwing

I may unfortunately have some extra free time on my hands for the next week or so. I'll look into VASSAL. It's been a while and I only dipped my toe into the process but VASSAL does allow for both WIN and MAC. I just found out that Zun Tzu is Win only (directX).
What components does the game have? How many counter sheets, how many tables, dice per roll, and how big is the map?

I could try a 'quick and dirty' conversion with single attribute counters (no built in clickable fired/moved/multistep/facing adjust) but the player could just drop a separate fired, etc counter on top of the unit for now. The chrome could be added later as I figure it out.

bayonetbrant

1 countersheet, some of which are admin counters - attached below

rarely more than 1 die/roll but varies d6 or d10

map is pretty big - 22x28 or so printed

I'll get files over to you later

Staggerwing

Ok. I can get started cutting up the counters into individual pieces with an image program. That will keep me busy for a while. 

Staggerwing

Brant, would you also have the files in .png or something? In case my image program doesn't like PDFs?

bayonetbrant

I can convert them, but it'll prob be tomorrow b/c I teach tonight and won't be home early enough to mess with them

BanzaiCat

Stagger/Brant, if you want some help with cutting/creating images of counters, let me know. I have CS6 at home and CC on my work laptop. Won't have time until tonight but would be glad to if needed.

bayonetbrant

Talk to Stagger.  If he needs them tonight, sure.  If not, I can get to them over the next few days.

thanks!

Staggerwing

Thank BC. I just discovered that Preview lets you export to png (among others). Do you know any shortcut to individually separating every counter one at a time from the master and saving them as individual images? I only have GIMP and whatever other free tools there are out there to D/L for Mac (preferred) or WIN7. Ideally, I'd like to have some kind of grid that would let me 'chop out' equally sized pieces and then auto save them as something like pt_1.png, pt_2, etc or whatever works. I can rename them later to specific unit name files.