Main Menu

Quarterback calls

Started by JudgeDredd, September 13, 2017, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So i just watched the Seahawks @ Packers and Aaron Rodgers was saying the exact same phrase at every snap...something like 3-19 and then inaudible.

It made me wonder what the QBs are calling. I always thought it was their play.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

They call the play in the huddle, before coming to the line.

Some of what is shouted, while on the line & ready to go, is audibles or cues.  To change the play up, after looking at the defense's setup (an "audible").  Or bringing attention to possible extra blitzers who look like they're gonna try to come after the QB.

bayonetbrant

once they're at the line of scrimmage and starting the play, it can be a mixture of changes to the play, confirmation of what's already been called, gibberish to confuse the defense, or just accented syllables to tell the center when to snap the ball.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

But the Packers QB called the same thing everytime...at least initially. He'd call "3-19...3-19" c them something else immediately at the snap
Alba gu' brath

mirth

A lot of the time, they are establishing a cadence to mess with the defense and attempt to draw them offside. The defense is trying to anticipate the snap of the ball and cross the line of scrimmage as the ball is snapped. The QBs try to take advantage of that.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Destraex

Interesting and it sounds cool.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"