WarNo by Eugen - aka WARGAME 4

Started by Destraex, December 17, 2021, 01:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I don't think you need a super PC to run this well. I have a mid range CPU and graphics card.

Some info on the campaign is out.
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1611600/view/3615857252827730224?l=english
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Been a while. Now without the Broken Arrow demo back to Warno. Have to say not really looking forward to Broken Arrow but glad it exists. It has some fun but very gamey aspects to it. WARNO on the other hand is my preference for a game that is multiplayer up to as many friends as I need while being believiable enough as a slightly fast forwarded RTS wargame that is realistic enough.

The new buildings on the map twin cities. Pretty good job really. Have not had a chance to see if I can bring them down with arty or bombs yet. But have seen the walls start to crumble. Line of site from these buildings is amazing.

A few more from 10v10 matches.

THe new LOS tool. The blue part is an indication of how far I will see units with my chosen tool tip for enemy stealth rating. So the blue part basically shows me in this case that I will NOT see units with BAD stealth (chosen in the bottom right) in the blue areas APART from the white areas which show where I will see normal  line of sight out to. If I chose exceptional the blue area would be significantly larger, indicating that exceptionally stealthy units will not be seen until they are a lot closer.

acctingman

GOD I'd throw an absence amount of money at a game like this if it was turn based  :grumpy: 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Destraex

Quote from: acctingman on February 17, 2023, 10:06:37 AMGOD I'd throw an absence amount of money at a game like this if it was turn based  :grumpy: 
I believe it does have active pause?

fran

That's right, the ability to pause and give orders. And the option to slow-motion the game speed.

Skoop

I'd agree with des, warno is the better game.  I'm looking forward to what they do with the campaign.  Is it army general like SD2 ?  Not sure I've seen what they have planned.  Plus, there's tons of mods on the workshop, you can pretty much tweak warno to your liking.

One thing I was wanting in SD2 was the ability to edit or create your own army general campaign.  It can be done by modders but not cleanly, it's a bunch of text editing changes.  Be nice if it could be done with the game interface, but I think they keep it difficult so you have to buy their dlc for new army general content.

Jarhead0331

I think it's premature to conclude which one of these two is "the better game". Broken Arrow won't be out until probably late in the year. Warno, although early access, has been in development for longer and has had several substantial updates.

They are both subject to change throughout development, but I suspect Broken Arrow will play quite differently when we see it again.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

The_Admiral

The latest WARNO update with the new cities & other tweaks, ahead of bigger tweaks (reworked AA) and single player content bodes well for the future. I've seen a lot of contents creator go back to it and enjoy themselves over the past week. Eugen did well, kuddos to them. Hard work does pay in the end!

Destraex

I agree Admiral. Great game. But to look at the steam forums you would not think that. People complain no matter what Eugen do. Not only that, people seem to complain simply to be toxic. It's like a bunch of chatgpt bots spamming all steam gaming forums constantly with ever more complex spoofing of human behaviour in chat. Most responses are just plain silly half the time.

As for Broken Arrow. I can see the direction that it has taken and will likely keep following. Unless something drastic changes I think WARNO is pretty safe for those who like more realism. Broken Arrow will be fun but like a light version of WARNO.

al_infierno

Anyone jumped into this recently?  Worth picking up for the asking price?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Went ahead and picked this up and enjoying it a great lot.  Big overall improvement over Wargame and Steel Division, though I'd personally prefer WWII.  Definitely worth the asking price even without the promised campaign mode.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Quote from: al_infierno on October 17, 2023, 03:01:12 PMAnyone jumped into this recently?  Worth picking up for the asking price?

Hey Al. Well you know my opinion, luv it. Glad you are enjoying it as well.
Recently (last 7 days) had some friends of mine invite me to do 10v10... we won all 3 games. Being 10v10 though I am sure I had little to do with it.  :uglystupid2:

Skoop

Yeah, I'd agree it's well worth the purchase and only going to get better when the campaigns are released.