Nebulous Fleet Command: space rts, physics, lan, multiplayer, z axis

Started by Destraex, December 28, 2021, 11:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

You fellers still playing? I've got it in my cart on Steam right now.

'The Wife' part of my brain is saying 'you have Battlefleet Gothic (I + II) what do you want this for?'

Shut up brain, I'm trying to enjoy myself.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Still playing with some friends.  I'm kind of ambivalent.  Maybe I'm not playing it correctly but the battles feel pretty repetitive to me at this point.  I don't tend to use a lot of the more in-depth features when it comes to movement or missile path plotting.  I just kinda try to go stealthy until I spot someone.  Then I shoot all the things at them while jamming.  Either I die or they die.  Repeat.

Father Ted

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 03, 2022, 06:20:28 PM
Still playing with some friends.  I'm kind of ambivalent.  Maybe I'm not playing it correctly but the battles feel pretty repetitive to me at this point.  I don't tend to use a lot of the more in-depth features when it comes to movement or missile path plotting.  I just kinda try to go stealthy until I spot someone.  Then I shoot all the things at them while jamming.  Either I die or they die.  Repeat.

I imagine that any damage to a spaceship IRL would be pretty catastrophic in terms of life-expectancy so this seems reasonable.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Normally it turns into a slugging match.  Cruisers and bigger take a long time to die unless you manage to make their reactors go critical.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I keep saying it needs context like homeworld.
You really have no reason to station assets in anything but a set piece fleet just like the battle of trafalgar atm.

In homeworld you separate your fleet to protect various resource and capital assets as well as allocating ships for staging bases for attacks.
In this it's a very small skirmish. A few ships playing in what equates to one asteroid clump in homeworld.

I think the scale is too small. It needs to be much larger in scale and you need to be able to build fleet assets to respond and formulate strategy on the run. Otherwise things become samish in each battle. The variation comes from the strategy in RTS that lets you "change" things each time you play. Otherwise things become too much like canned battles. Fun once. The campaign will add a strategy element and that will make a difference, but multiplayer will mostly be about building ships pre-game without too many surprises. It will still be fun but like Battlestar Galactica Deadlock and Battlefleet Gothic, the multiplayer just won't take off because of the replayability factor and the short sharp battle lengths.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Guys...it's...early....access....as stated several times in this thread, the developer is working on a story campaign and a strategic conquest mode. There are also other fleet assets being developed, like carriers and marine boarding vessels.  You guys are being way too unreasonably harsh on this one. Give it some time to develop. It's a single developer on active duty in the navy. What else is out there that has the foundation of this game? Nothing.

That being said, you can't please everyone so maybe you still won't like it even once it's actually finished and fully featured.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

It does have excellent reviews on Steam and the price is right at that sweet, sweet 19.99 spot.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 04, 2022, 07:44:05 AM
Guys...it's...early....access....as stated several times in this thread, the developer is working on a story campaign and a strategic conquest mode. There are also other fleet assets being developed, like carriers and marine boarding vessels.  You guys are being way too unreasonably harsh on this one. Give it some time to develop. It's a single developer on active duty in the navy. What else is out there that has the foundation of this game? Nothing.

That being said, you can't please everyone so maybe you still won't like it even once it's actually finished and fully featured.
+1
I am seriously considering buying this just to support the dev, adding it to my collection of unplayed games. There was a great game on DOS 3.0  or 3.2 about tactical fleet command that Nebulous reminds me of.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tripoli

I've only played the tutorials, but I'm enjoying it.  I think it will be awesome once they get the strategic layer built in.  As Jarhead, said, it is early access.  IMHO, for $20, it is worth it just to support the developer.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on March 04, 2022, 02:43:26 PM
You guys have sold me.

[singing] "Buy it, Gus. 
It will satisfy all your gaming desires
Buy it"

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

A digital siren did appear in my room and dammit all to hell she just would not be ignored. So here I sit looking through the shipbuilder and the tutorial for a few minutes and I have to say, whoever wrote and put the music together should get an award.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 04, 2022, 04:18:26 PM
A digital siren did appear in my room and dammit all to hell she just would not be ignored. So here I sit looking through the shipbuilder and the tutorial for a few minutes and I have to say, whoever wrote and put the music together should get an award.

Lauren Pham

https://open.spotify.com/album/3mlqKlC6rcZNGaqenzi7e8
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18