Starship Troopers: Extermination

Started by al_infierno, December 02, 2022, 07:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

It's about time Starship Troopers gets a proper horde-based FPS with base-building elements.  Now it just remains to be seen if it'll be any good!

The footage is pre-alpha, so the wonky graphics and stock-ish gun sounds should hopefully be improved significantly before release.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

It's by the same team that made Squad, so there probably won't be any single-player features, but if it's made with the same love as Squad, it'll probably be pretty damn cool.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

^ I didn't even notice that connection, thanks for pointing that out.  I've gone from marginally interested to partially interested  :bd:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

No PVP but coop. The guys that did squad.... TICK.
Great stuff looks like a winner.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Trooperc7

That looks like it could be exciting!

Gusington

If there is even the whiff of a SP campaign I am in.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on December 03, 2022, 12:55:47 PM

Denise Richards side quest?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Father Ted on December 03, 2022, 06:37:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 03, 2022, 12:55:47 PM

Denise Richards side quest?

If there's a Dina Meyer one I'm in. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sigwolf

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

CptHowdy

anyone pick this up? early access just released today. ive played several rounds so far. very chaotic as you can imagine. 3 classes to choose from. assault, heavy and a medic. i chose medic nad currently have a drone that revives people. my heals i use on myself as trying to target another player seems difficult since everyone is running around to much. hopefully im able to unlock an area heal once i level up some! good fun so far.

Jarhead0331

I'm on the fence. Just wish there was some single player options...and gore. How the hell is there no gore?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2023, 03:26:58 PMI'm on the fence. Just wish there was some single player options...and gore. How the hell is there no gore?
Me too.  I would really like there to be a single player option.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Jarhead0331

The FAQ indicates that there are no plans for a single player campaign on the development road map and no plans for AI bots for the foreseeable future, certainly through early access.

I did get it, and I played a single mission. It was mildly enjoyable. I think I got lucky and the majority of the guys in my squad sounded like they had already gone through puberty. The nature of the game makes cooperation and close coordination with other players, useful, but not absolutely mandatory to success or enjoyment. Therefore, the quality of my experience didn't feel as dependent on the activities and maturity level of other players in the game. This was just on one map and one type of objective, so this opinion is of course subject to change.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

I have to say reading the FAQ gives me little confidence. It sounds like they will struggle just to do basic bugs vs basic infantry let alone giant bugs, dropships, tanks, armor etc.
I own the animated TV series and the starship troopers movie and did start to read the book at one stage. So I know what could be but do not know whether gold visored faceless troopers with otherwise movie like looking equipment is correct. I think the books had heavily armored jump troops with every man having nukes?

They did not get the rights to the movie music either which would have been a major motivator for me. I just love that theme song. Sounds strange but it's mood music.

Another thing is that I get the feeling this game is a left4dead clone that is not about tactics but about waves of enemy. Replayability even the first time could be limited if this is the case.

Hate to be a negative nancy but it is what it is.

Besides I am enjoying Aliens fireteam elite with friends at the moment and it sounds like that has a little more depth?

Jarhead... prove me wrong on this plllllease. I'd love to grab it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"