Main Menu

World War Z

Started by LongBlade, June 24, 2013, 12:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I'm only as caught up on Walking Dead that Netflix will let me. So I have not seen season 3 or 4.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 21, 2013, 05:33:51 PM
the season 4 walking dead trailer is a better zombie flick then this movie was.

I'm going to need to see the movie now, even though I don't give a rat's ass about zombie flicks. Just because the movie isn't the book, doesn't make it bad. I read the book and I didn't think it was all that great. If they had faithfully reproduced the book, I'm not sure it would have made a very good movie.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on July 21, 2013, 08:13:37 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 21, 2013, 05:33:51 PM
the season 4 walking dead trailer is a better zombie flick then this movie was.

I'm going to need to see the movie now, even though I don't give a rat's ass about zombie flicks. Just because the movie isn't the book, doesn't make it bad. I read the book and I didn't think it was all that great. If they had faithfully reproduced the book, I'm not sure it would have made a very good movie.

theres no way it would ever have been a good movie.  the best the book could have hoped for was a seasonal series like Band of Brothers.  12 to 14 episodes where each episode covers 2 chapters or so.  some chapters time would be covered differently.  I would film Yonkers as a 15 minute section while giving the pilots story at least 30 minutes.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 21, 2013, 09:16:24 AM
^ Spoilers!!!

I have not read the book or seen the movie yet.

So, you're saying I shouldn't talk about the giant monster that rises out of the crack in the ocean at the end of the movie?

Wait, sorry, wrong movie. I meant how Brad Pitt's wife has to sell herself sexually to keep the kids safe and Brad fights his way out of Russia and across the Pacific Ocean to the US West Coast, leaving a huge sequel hook.

Although come to think of it, the first description still applies!  :D

That isn't really how WWZ ends, don't worry.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on July 21, 2013, 07:51:31 PM
I'm only as caught up on Walking Dead that Netflix will let me. So I have not seen season 3 or 4.

The best is yet to come.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on July 21, 2013, 08:13:37 PM
If they had faithfully reproduced the book, I'm not sure it would have made a very good movie.

I'm not sure I agree.

However, it is for this reason that I knew the instant that Brad Pitt was cast to star in the movie that the movie couldn't be the book.

The entire point of the book is to tell the tales of about 20-ish people from their perspective. There is a single character who both opens and closes the book. But for the rest he is silent.

To make a movie faithful to the book you need either a bunch of cameos by stars - none of whom will lead - or you need a bunch of b-grade unknowns - none of whom will lead.

It goes against everything Hollywood stands for - one big actor to pull in the crowds. Such a movie can be made in theory. Whether it could gather financial backers? Different question.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

One ring to rule them all?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Ok so I finally saw this movie last night and I hated it so much that I felt compelled to search for this thread and necro-bump it.

That was probably the worst movie I've ever seen.  I'm trying to think of a movie I hated more and I'm having trouble.  Maybe The Joy Luck Club that my girlfriend-turned-wife made me watch when I was trying to get in her pants.  Maybe.  Or that Vesuvius movie...that was pretty appalling as well.  I put World War Z in that category.

How they can take such an awesome book and turn it into such an awful movie is beyond me.  And then people actually paid money to go see it!  The producers were sitting there like, yeah this is a good movie....no it's not!  They should be ashamed of themselves.  Once they saw the final product, the guys that made this movie should have just said you know, this just turned out really bad.  Let's scrap it or release it for free on Youtube or something.

:tickedoff:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

The book and the movie have nothing in common other than the title and zombies.

Apparently, I am one of the few people who is not a huge fan of the book.

The movie wasn't great, but taken separately from the movie it was okay. After all the negative stuff I had read about the film production, the movie was actually far better than I was expecting.

Personally, I've never understood the adoration given to the book. IMHO, it was B-grade to begin with.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Toonces

We'll have to disagree on this one.  The book was one of the few books where I literally could not put it down.  I read it when I was on the ship and sleep time was at a premium and I still stayed up more than one night to read just one more chapter.  I thought it was brilliant.

Agreed that the movie is nothing like the book at all, but well I can't think of anything really redeeming to say about the movie.  I truly hated it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

I went into the book with high expectations because of the reviews and the hype associated with it. I read it in a day and mostly just wanted it be done.

Like I said, the movie isn't great. I understand how folks who are fans of the book would despise the movie, the two have very little in common. However as someone with no attachment to the book and who has seen a ton of really crappy summer blockbuster type films, World War Z the movie wasn't all that bad.

Gusington

I really liked the book, liked the movie too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

If you enjoyed World War Z (the novel) or The Walking Dead in any format, I would recommend The Purge of Babylon series by Sam Sisavath. I went on an Apocalypse reading kick a few months ago and burned through a dozen kindle novels from Amazon. The Babylon series was my favorite among the bunch. Three novels with a fourth about to be released. Number 4 is a day one purchase for me.