Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)

Started by BanzaiCat, December 12, 2014, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I saw Anchorman 2 was added to Netflix tonight, so I checked it out. Not nearly as terrible as I thought it was. Started poorly and I thought I was wasting my time, but I stuck with it and it got much better and stayed entertaining. The ending parts...well that didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense, but it appeals to me.

After that I went looking for something else and just stumbled across this one: The Knights of Badassdom. There's some actors in it you have no doubt heard of it, but I've not heard one peep of this movie, anywhere.

Check out the trailer; you'll probably recognize a few of them.

SirAndrewD

Knights of Badassdom is really, really fun.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

I'm watching Anchorman 2 right now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Netflix gem?

Try John Dies At The End.

O0

jejo68

They just started the Marco Polo series over here. Thats a really good series imho

Nefaro

Quote from: jejo68 on December 16, 2014, 07:39:55 PM
They just started the Marco Polo series over here. Thats a really good series imho

Started watching Netflix' Marco Polo series a few nights ago. 

Pretty good stuff and surprisingly high quality, despite some genre cliches.

O0

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2189461/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Steelgrave

I'm just now catching up with it, but Daredevil season one is outstanding! Great casting, from Daredevil/Murdock to Foggy to Karen to Ben, all the way down the cast. Well written dialogue and very sharp writing. DD was always one of my favorites and I'm very happy to finally see him done justice on the screen.

As a side note, Vincent D'Onofrio is simply brilliant as Kingpin. No one dimensional villian, this cat has layers you wouldn't imagine from just reading the comics.

Great show!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 12, 2015, 09:39:20 AM
I'm just now catching up with it, but Daredevil season one is outstanding! Great casting, from Daredevil/Murdock to Foggy to Karen to Ben, all the way down the cast. Well written dialogue and very sharp writing. DD was always one of my favorites and I'm very happy to finally see him done justice on the screen.

As a side note, Vincent D'Onofrio is simply brilliant as Kingpin. No one dimensional villian, this cat has layers you wouldn't imagine from just reading the comics.

Great show!

Agreed. DD was always a compelling character and the show more than does him justice. It's interesting in that, to a certain degree, you have to work to like Murdock/DD and work to hate Fisk/Kingpin. Good and evil are not always as simple as we would like to believe.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Steelgrave

Quote from: DoctorQuest on June 12, 2015, 10:14:16 AM
It's interesting in that, to a certain degree, you have to work to like Murdock/DD and work to hate Fisk/Kingpin. Good and evil are not always as simple as we would like to believe.

And that, in a nutshell, is what makes really great dramas. Well spoken.

DoctorQuest

Just finished DD "The Path of the Righteous".

Whoa.............. :o

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Steelgrave

I'm one behind you but I'm finishing the series tonight, Steam sale or not!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 12, 2015, 04:58:22 PM
I'm one behind you but I'm finishing the series tonight, Steam sale or not!

I need a little time between episodes... I learned my lesson binge-watching "24" back in the day.

Gusington

I've heard really good things about DD.

If you're into history and witchcraft, check out Salem...surprisingly scary and well done, and the female lead is quite hawt.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2015, 06:25:45 PM
I've heard really good things about DD.

If you're into history and witchcraft, check out Salem...surprisingly scary and well done, and the female lead is quite hawt.

Lucy Lawless is joining the cast for season 2.

I do get annoyed by Salem's dialogue language anachronisms at times.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

If Luther is still available, it's well worth watching.

Also, Flashpoint. Surprisingly good. The Pink Power Ranger is a good actress and singer.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus