Lord Help Me... I'm going to paint minis!

Started by son_of_montfort, September 11, 2012, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Humidity is the bane of minis painters. You aren't the first nor the last to have struggled with it.

Currently I paint in my basement with a large canvas tarp to catch the excess spray.

However, when I was painting outside one of the things I did was to let both the can and the minis warm up outside before priming. Just like bringing a cold beer out of the fridge and to the hot outdoors, you'll get condensation. Same thing with cold minis inside at 72 brought outside. (I figured that one out all by myself)

Guys in Atlanta claimed that humidity would fall immediately after it rains for a brief period of time and they would wait for rain then rush outside for the brief decrease in humidity to get their priming in.

There are no super solutions that I'm aware of. There are painting booths you can buy to use indoors. I've never used one but they seem like a good idea. Here's one that looks interesting and affordable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040N78WQ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0040N78WQ&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

If you paint indoors and you don't want to spring for full size dehumidifier take a look at this: Eva-dry Electric Petite Dehumidifier. I'm guessing it works best in smaller spaces though.

You coulsd also get some of these: Wm Barr FG90 DampRid Super System

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

son_of_montfort

Shake that primer like a Polaroid picture y'all! You have to shake it a lot to make sure it stays evenly distributed. Also, I really like this Privateer Primer, so check it out.

Here are some pics, I call this guy "Bison in the 18th Century" (no idea his real name):

And back, check out his ax!

I used the dark brown wash for the whole mini and was pleased with the results.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

This lady is Isabella von Took (yes, that is her name in the game). Be sure to see what she had hidden behind her:

Again, the model company made her face a little like she had a stroke (she looks a bit better in real life). In the back:
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

Last one, my favorite, Danforth the Playwright. His vest is a glittery metallic gold. The skull is green because I painted it with glow-in-the-dark paint!

Back side:

They all have a rustic look, which works perfectly for the idea that they are 18th century adventurers in a Sleepy Hollow like setting.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Fun. I like the glow in the dark paint idea. That's great.

undercovergeek

you know when you think you havent got time for anything else?

dammit - feeling the draw for this............ think WHFB or WW2 - Warhammer id be ok with - no idea where to start with WW2 although i like the look of the British Paras in another thread

bob48

I'd be looking at the Sergeants game by Lost Battalion Games, except that they're bloody expensive and I can't see any UK retailers that have them yet...not that I've erm, looked very hard......much.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on September 16, 2012, 03:52:54 PM
Fun. I like the glow in the dark paint idea. That's great.

I'm going to paint my zombie minis in it!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on September 16, 2012, 04:16:56 PM
I'd be looking at the Sergeants game by Lost Battalion Games, except that they're bloody expensive and I can't see any UK retailers that have them yet...not that I've erm, looked very hard......much.

dear Bob, for christmas i should like a box of SMG paratroopers

thanks

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 16, 2012, 04:27:58 PM
dear Bob, for christmas i should like a box of SMG paratroopers

Funny you guys mention that.

I am putting together a holiday shopping guide to be given to spouses et al who otherwise might find it impossible to determine what to get us in our obscure and unfathomable hobby.

The idea is that you should be able to send a loved one to our site and say "something in the minis section" and while it might still be a surprise, we'll have links to vendors to make it easy to purchase.

Hopefully that will get you guys something better than a necktie and sweater.

undercovergeek

oh man thats an awesome idea - a grogs mug and everything you can find in the minis section, DO NOT, DO NOT click on the lingerie section!!!

oh errr, actually, the lady from page 3, 6, 13, and 18!

and if i cant have them just wear what theyre wearing on christmas morning